Flags on Isolation and Monroe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Dasypodidae

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Arm and I started up the Davis Path at 6 am, and after a side trip to Mt. Davis, arrived at Mt. Isolation at the same time as the flag bearers, about 11:30 am. After a quick lunch, we continued toward our goal to meet go and gH, who have teamed up with flag and clarinet on Monroe the last four years. But, alas, that last five miles took us just long enough to see the flag come down as we walked across the Camel Trail, meeting our compatriots, along with friend KK, on their way down to Lakes Hut. Enjoyed catching up with others at the Mooseland in the evening, before catching up with sleep after an 18-mile day.

long way to monroe

I was part of the Isolation crew - we were all wondering how in the world you were going to get to Monroe in the limited time available. Sorry to hear you didn't. Hope the hike was good anyway.

There's a reason it's called Isolation, I guess.

I'm the gal that your crew bumped into at the Rocky branch shelter. Thanks for warning me about looking out for the cairn just before the spur to Isolation. Chances are I may have missed it otherwise. Sorry I wasn't able to join you, but well done you guys!

Ranger Dick removed Isolation signs too?

Which reminds me, the USFS (presumably Ranger Dick) has removed all the signs at the junction of the Isolation spur trail, with the rusty nails still sticking out of the trees, probably for the same reason that he removed the Owls Head sign and cairns (Isolation is in the Dry River Wilderness).

I posted a nice shot of Monroe as seen from Jefferson. It's in both albums on the Fot48 web site.

Cairns and such

Yes, there is little indication that the spur path goes to Isolation. The AMC maps don't have enough resolution to show that a spur exists. I thought it was a bit fishy that there is a fresh new sign pointing to Mt. Davis (but not Isolation) immediately before the spur. If the GPS hadn't told me to turn right, we might have missed it and been forced to backtrack.

There is a small cairn at the spur, which appears undecided in a battle of destruction and reconstruction. It is pretty easy to repair given all the rocks in the area (I imagine). Check with your local ranger first to find out whether or not cairn building carries the same fine on Isolation that it does on Owl's Head.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Which reminds me, the USFS (presumably Ranger Dick) has removed all the signs at the junction of the Isolation spur trail, with the rusty nails still sticking out of the trees, probably for the same reason that he removed the Owls Head sign and cairns (Isolation is in the Dry River Wilderness).

This picture of the sign taken last year shows "USFS" and "AMC" on it just before the spur (to the right in the background) to Isolation (coming from the north). It is bolted not nailed. Rusty nails were in a tree on the other side of the trail across from the spur. Perhaps you missed it? Why would the USFS take it down if they allowed it to be put up?

carole said:
Why would the USFS take it down if they allowed it to be put up?

Perhaps the sign predated the establishment of the Wilderness?

Yes, there were two signs, one bolted, one nailed, with both pre-dating wilderness designation. My guess is that all signs will soon be removed from all trails in all wilderness areas in the White Mountain National Forest, if the pattern continues.