re Saddleback, Basin and Haystack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
We are winding down and have these 3 along with 3 others left. I want to know how to approach these. Originally, we were going to do them as a day hike coming down the steep cliff of Saddleback, but after talking to Harry, he said it will be a longer day than he thought....any thoughts on which way to do these and if I backpack, where is the best place to stay.

My kids and I have done that entire loop as a dayhike (albeit a long one). Your kids (and you) will be fine. Bring headlambs and figure 11-13 hours (reasonable). If you feel inclined to camp, JLB makes the most sense, but other options exist.

We went Haystack --> Saddleback. Great loop. PM me if you like.

Last edited:
I agree with Mavs but, there is always a but isn't there? If you wish to make it a bit easier considering the kids you could "rent" one of the JBL lean-tos. This way you are sure of shelter and lighten the backpacks. Set up there possibly on Friday night, again lessening the push on the kids, and Saturday loop up over Saddleback to Basin to Haystack and you can descend back to JBL via the Phelps trail. With or without using the "shortcut" it is pretty close to a whole day. I don't think it matters much which direction you go. Then you have an easy hike out from JBL on Sunday.

Twice we did it that way, only once we left off Haystack. It was dependant upon who was chasing which peak. We went in on Saturday, set up and did the loop. Once we day hiked the whole thing and as Mavs said, a long day. By the time we hit JBL on our way out we were thinking "those lean-tos look good"

Last edited:
I would (and have) done it in the other way... Saddleback first. I vind it more dramatic that way... with the views unfolding as you go along, ending with the somewaht dramatic walk along the bald cone of Haystack. It also gives you the option of grabbing Marcy again, if you have energy left.

I did it as a dayhike, Haystack first. It is easier going up Saddleback than down it on that side. It took about 12 hours. The walk into JBL is easy and quick, so if you run out of daylight on that stretch on the way out, you'll be ok as long as you have headlamps. Of course, take into account the earlier sunset at this time of year.

It would be a long, tough day hike...the col between Basin and Haystack is deep. The climb down the Saddleback cliffs isn't too bad so don't worry about coming down if you go in that direction. I agree with Atlerpeak...camp in the JBL area and do the loop as a day hike....we did Basin and Saddleback from, and back to, Slant Rock earlier his summer and I was surprised at how rugged it was and how slow we went....the Orebed trail is also pretty rugged....It''l be a really nice hike though....enjoy.

Pat

I plan on doing this loop (H-B-S direction) as an overnighter next summer with my son and brother. We plan to either stop somewhere before Haystack or after Haystack for the night. We usually go light and sleep under the stars. This would break up the trip and give us more summit time. Obviously, good weather is a prerequisite. Any suggestions?

Hey....I already have enough grey hair from them. So, either way is fine to go? I had a Ranger warn me not to go one way with the kids. Harry said they would be fine and I usually trust him. I just thought a pack in might be nice because it would be our last in NY for a while and we could take our time although I do hate to carry a full pack.

Hmmm

I would not go down Saddleback in any conditions. Climbing up is one thing but downclimbing is another. It is a real scramble after all. And with a chance of rain, well, I would think twice. Am I too cautious ? Maybe. Geez, how will I lead NEI 4+ again this winter ?

If you can do Allen in a day you can do these 3 in a day too. I hiked Haystack to Basin to Saddleback a few weeks ago and it took us about 13 hours.

Have a blast!

-Shayne

I did it the 'difficult' way with my kids when they were 7 and 9. I was nervous. VERY nervous. I just made sure they didn't go running around, but it was fine. Oh yeah. We did it with full packs. There were a couple of places where we had to remove the packs, I went down, kids passed me the packs, then I 'carried' them down.

The kids found it FUN. Most kids seem to likd scrambling on bare rock. Yes, rain makes if more tricky, and ice makes it downright dangerous, but if it's a nice day, with YOUR kids, I wouldn't worry at all.

Camping around the Johns Brook ranger station is nice. It isn't that much of a pack in. Mostly flat. A short walk down and the kids can play in the brook while you're cooking supper. Sure, you'd have no problem doing it in a day, but if you're thinking of camping, it can be nice and relaxing. You can take a bit of time to look at Bushnell Falls, instead of rushing past it.

Fun thread!

I also have these 3 as part of my last 7 (the sewards being the other 4).

I want to finish this year, and with daylight hours getting less I have been planning on two trips for these 3 peaks...one for Basin and saddleback, then a return for just a day trip to finish on haystack (with the sewards sandwiched in between sometime). I figured it would be more enjoyable to not be too beat when I get to Haystack, so I can have some summit time to enjoy it. Its hard for me to get away for 2 nights at a time, and the sewards are a 2 night trip already, so that also factors in.

If the weather holds for friday (9/16) I might be going for Basin/saddleback then. I'll keep you posted.

ADK Rick

We did these with one overnight camping at Slant Rock. Packed in and set up camp Day 1 then hiked Haystack in daypacks and back to SR. Second day was a bit more challenging going up the Shorey shortcut trail, Basin and Saddleback with full packs. Since we only went one night we went pretty light but it may be harder with kids. I wonder if the old Snobird site is still useable between Haystack and Basin. It's a lot of shlepping the packs if you don't have very light equipment.

Go the wrong way

Did the "wrong way" (according to many- and perhaps all rangers you will speak to) a few weeks ago, Saddleback then Basin (after a diversion into NF Gothics) with very full packs as part of a multi-day trip. The axe man is correct about the views in this direction-primo and escalating in intensity. We intended to stay at sno bird and did so which was a much appreciated rest :eek: This has one large legitimate site on the grave of the old lean to and several tents went up around us as we did Haystack the next day, not all of which appeared to be abiding the regs. :confused:

No Problems

After meeting you and your kids at the barbeque and discussing some hiking, I doubt you will have any problems. I did this in August. For a change, I hiked in and stayed the night at JBL. Food and people were great. Left the next am and went up to Haystack first, then on to Basin and Saddleback. Times: I left JBL at 8:00am (late, secondary to a great breakfast) returned to JBL at 6:00pm, and grabbed my backpack and was out to the Garden by 7:30pm. Could be done from the Garden and back in a day, but it would be a long one. Enjoy, it's a great hike with loads of impressive views. slamdog/Lance

I hear stories from people who won't ever hike Basin and Saddleback together. They're not hard and one, stayin on the yellow markers, will have a great time. One can go either way. Basin's western ascent is harder that Saddlebacks, but less exposed. Exposure is psychological -- focus on the rock, put ones hands in front of ones feet and the hiker will be fine, especially people with fear of heights.

Have fun!!

Moose

Man, you must have gone off route on Saddleback, or done it when it was verglased. I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be. I run down it; I'm in the air half the time. So do a lot of other folks. My wife, who is short and has a very difficult time with rocky trail and downclimbing, hikes down it every year with a little encouragement from me.

For anyone, I think the conditions are the big determinant. Ice, very bad. Thunderstorm, very bad. Most anything else, manageable.