A question about White Mtn campgrounds...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head

Reaction score
Ive never stayed in a campground in the Whites. I went to book one for this coming weekend, and was told that I needed to book 7 days in advance and also that I needed to book for 2 days :confused: ....anyone have any tips/advice to be able to stay at one??? Thanks in advance. (Bird and I are finishing our 48 this weekend and we were hoping to be able to celebrate in the comfort of a campground :D )
HEAD

Campgrounds

If you cannot book in advance it is a good idea to get of I-93 at the Kanc (route 112) and look at the big board. This board is lit up and it will let you know which campgrounds have space. I have been by there many weekends this year and would find it hard to believe you would not get a site somewhere. Lately, Lafayette is the only one I have been seeing full.
Good luck!
There are also nice free sites along the Gale River Road, Cherry Mountain Road and Haystack Road...no amenities beyond a fire ring...

Lafayette Place is a state campground, and has different rules than the rest of the WMNF campgrounds. The along the road camping mentioned by sapblatt are great options as well. Which peak are you finishing on?

-dave-

Dolly Copp? Isn't it first come first served? Don't know if thats where you'll be, but i've used it and its a nice spot..I think it's $10.00/day no minimum and its honor system.. (little box for the money).

Just a thought.

M

Trout said:
I think Dolly Copp is $18@day & they take reservations or walk in campers.

Hmmm last time I was there...pre summer season, it was $10.00 a night im almost positive of it, but in season could be a diff story...I was there early May.

M

Trout said:
I think Dolly Copp is $18@day & they take reservations or walk in campers.

Is there someone there "in season"? When I went it was an honor system box. How could they take reservations without a "live" person there?

Just wondering..

M

KMartman said:
Is there someone there "in season"? When I went it was an honor system box. How could they take reservations without a "live" person there?

Just wondering..

M
The reservation system is independent of the campground. You cannot make reservations by calling Dolly copp, but rather by calling/webbing the service linked below...
Reservations

sapblatt said:
The reservation system is independent of the campground. You cannot make reservations by calling Dolly copp, but rather by calling/webbing the service linked below...
Reservations

yeah but is there a person there in season to make sure that walkins don't take the "reserved" spaces?

M

sapblatt said:
I belieive so, but I am not sure...someone would need to enforce...and collect fees from walk ins...

Off season the walk ins/drive ins are on the "honor" system. They have a little box with "permits" you fill it out, put yer payment in the envelope and put it in the little box.
When I was there a cop did cruise through the lot, but didn't check anything. Placed filled up FULL too, and as I said this was in early May.

M

Dolly Copp has hosts there during the season, which usually ends around 10/15 or so. Barnes Field is open year round with no host there.

David Metsky said:
The along the road camping mentioned by sapblatt are great options as well. Which peak are you finishing on?-dave-
Thanks everyone for the info. Were hoping to get in at either Barnes Field or Dolly C....if not the road camping mentioned by Sapblatt will be just fine as well. We are planning on finishing on Madison, Saturday mid-afternoon. We're pretty stoked about the whole thing (although the weather aint lookin so hot at this point...oh well...we'll be totin' a 50 year old bottle of whiskey so things will be OK in any weather :D ) Thanks again for all the helpful hints (and anyone who might like a finger of some aged whiskey...meet us up at the hut :p )
HEAD

I stay at Dolly Copp regularly. Yes it's $18 a night, flush toilets, no showers. Quiet, well-maintained campground. Without reservations, you can drive in, pick out any site that doesn't have a booked reservation on the tag attached to the site number sign and put up your tent! This time of year, you'll have no problem getting a site. Have fun!

Nice thing about Dolly Copp is that you can hike straight from your tent via the Daniel Webster Scout trail right up to Madison. It's rough, but a fine way to finish your 4000'ers.

-dave-

TMax said:
I stay at Dolly Copp regularly. Yes it's $18 a night, flush toilets, no showers. Quiet, well-maintained campground. Without reservations, you can drive in, pick out any site that doesn't have a booked reservation on the tag attached to the site number sign and put up your tent! This time of year, you'll have no problem getting a site. Have fun!
So, you just go up and get a campsite? What if you get there late? Is it an honor system this time of year?

-Dr. Wu

Dave Metsky said:
Nice thing about Dolly Copp is that you can hike straight from your tent via the Daniel Webster Scout trail
This was the place where I first experienced the mountains. As a boy we did an annual Columbus Day trip to Dolly Copp which always included a hike up the Daniel Webster Scout trail. I thought this was cool because I was a boy scout. This was in the 60's. (How did I get so old??!!) The place hasn't changed since then.