Most popular NH mtn, big or small

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which NH mtn have you climbed most often?

• Washington

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Lafayette

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Moosilauke

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Adams

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Chocorua

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Monadnock

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • Cardigan

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Kearsarge

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Blue Job

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • some other small mountain

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jn316

Reaction score
Maybe we hike little mountains more.
Which of these have you climbed most often?

Washington
Lafayette
Moosilauke
Adams
Chocorua
Monadnock
Cardigan
Kearsarge
Blue Job
some other small mountain

I used to do an annual dayhike or backpack trip up Mt. Chocorua and have hiked that peak at least 10 times. I've done other peaks multiple times, but none come close to my Chocorua total. Today I'm more interested in exploring new places so I try not to repeat hikes.

Monadnock

It's just so convenient to the Boston area; the views are good; the trails are steep and scrambly; it doesn't take all day; you can drag your family along; there's a wide variety of trails; chews up less gas money.

If you really hate the crowds, you can go on a weekday and/or take one of the many lesser-used trails.

I'm on board with Monadock also. The whites are a 3.5-5 hour drive for me and i have an erratic schedule. I often hike it on Friday or go early and zig zag the lesser used trails. Huge variety of trails and forests and the big mountain feel up above. I've spent as little as 3 hours to as many as 8 just wandering on crazy routes and ended up with decent mileage and elevation and never get bored.

Monadnock. We usually do a couple of November "warm up" weekends before our backpacking season.Lot's of nice trails,easy camping,and a relatively short drive.
We also get to visit with Andrew,he's the park manager,and a really nice guy!

onrhodes said:
I voted for Kearsarge, but aren't there two? The one I am thinking of is the one in Warner. I've only hiked it once, but I have climbed up it on my road bike at least 7-8 times. :D

Yes Kearsarge North in North Conway, NH and the one your talking about. Isn't that a great mountain? It's a great spur of the moment hike.

How did Blue Job make this list??? :D No I understand, it being near the coast and all but, more people have probably climbed Uncanoonuc.

I voted for Washington. Despite the fact that I hate the crowds, The Smog, and the autoroad. I gotta go for the state highpoint and only 6Ker in the Northeast!!

With the variety of routes and long climb, I always find it enjoyable until I reach the summit area and even then sometimes! I manage to go ways and times that bring the number of folks I see on the trail to a minimum.

Bob Kittredge said:
It's just so convenient to the Boston area; the views are good; the trails are steep and scrambly; it doesn't take all day; you can drag your family along; there's a wide variety of trails; chews up less gas money.

If you really hate the crowds, you can go on a weekday and/or take one of the many lesser-used trails.
I agree with Bob! :D
I've probably been up Monadnock 35 or 40 times, maybe more. I used to do volunteer trail work up there with Max. Can't beat the views, and I've grown accustmed to the crowds. If I want solitude, I can hike the back woods of Royalston, MA. Went on a 9 mile hike last weekend with the dog and saw not one soul. Did spook a moose though! :p
Smitty

Double Bow said:
I voted for Washington. Despite the fact that I hate the crowds, The Smog, and the autoroad. I gotta go for the state highpoint and only 6Ker in the Northeast!!
This is technically not true. Ball Crag is a named peak >6000'... it's just not on the "list"

Don't knock Ball Crag!!! :D

-Dr. Wu

Isn't this basically the same thread as the other one "Which VFTT most often seen?" from just 2 days ago in this Q&A section?

I'll throw my 2 cents in AGAIN for Washington 4 times with Chocorua and Monadnock 3 times each.

Many little mountains are very cool. I have a lot of favorites. I've climbed Peaked Mt. in the Green Hills more times than any other mountain, more times than I can remember, in every season.

Steve

dr_wu002 said:
This is technically not true. Ball Crag is a named peak >6000'... it's just not on the "list"

Don't knock Ball Crag!!! :D

Actually, since we're being technical here, as I said Mt Wahington IS the only MOUNTAIN over 6K in the Northeast. Ball Crag is only a peak on Washington.

What I said is true and actually encompasses your precious Craggy Ball!:D :D

I have climbed monadnock the most, because when I go down to SW NH once or twice a year, its far and away the best thing down there, so thats what I do, whereas up in the Whites, there's more to choose from, hence why I have done Monadnock around 6 times, Of course, I hike in the Whites a lot more often having done 42 of the 48 at least once, quite a few twice, several three times, and only one four times: South Twin, not that its the best(don't get me wrong, its good), its that it combines nicely with other peaks, Ive done it along various combinations with the Bonds, Zealand, Galehead, North Twin, some backpacks, some dayhikes.

Course I have done all three Patuckaway peaks(it used to be 10 minutes from home, now its a whopping 30) more times than I can count, so why is that not on there?

I try to hike Washington through Tuck's every year. After my dad passed away, we buried some of his hiking gear at the intersection of the Tuckerman Ravine Trail and the Alpine Garden, so it's a sentimental visit now, along with a great day in the mountains. :)

Lafayette and Chocurua both 50 +, I am now driven to keep ahead of my age on each, since beginning winter hiking five years ago- Avalon is a must every snowshoe season along with multiple visits up Pierce