Shelburne Moriah - Suggestions for Loop Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowandsteady

Reaction score
Medfield, MA & Jackson, NH Avatar: Wildcat!
We're considering hiking Shelburne Moriah Sept 24. One way is in and out via the Rattle River/Kenduskeag Trails. However we were thinking about a loop hike that included Moriah as the VFTP was fog when we were last there.

I don't have my White Mt. Guide with me. Has anyone hiked up this way from the Evans Notch side? Is a loop up the Moriah Gorge to Moriah over to Shelburne Moriah and back to Evans Notch doable as a day hike? We usually are at/slightly below book time on most trips.

Any input is appreciated.

I've only done Shelburne M from the east (Shelburne Tr) via Wild River. A there-and-back hike was 9 miles from Wild River Rd.

I don't have the WM guide with me either; drawing a quick sketch on the Moriah Brook / Shelburne Tr loop with my GPS program yields around 12.5 mi so plan on 12.5-14 mi as I didn't trace every squiggle. Warning: the Shelburne Trail requires a ford of the Wild River which is fairly wide where the trail starts (I seem to remember it being around 100ft wide), plan on taking water shoes or crossing barefoot, if it looks safe. This time of year it would usually be OK, but given the rain going on it may be a little tricky. Not sure if there are easier crossings that don't add lots of mileage.

The loop hike I would like to do is the AT over Rattle River Tr, Shelburne M to Moriah, then down Carter-Moriah Tr, 12.8 mi, which I have been meaning to try for a while... it's not a loop hike but while trying to plan that one, I found a cab company in Berlin (Ez-Taxi 603 752-4696) which I called and they quoted me $13 to drive out to the Rattle River trail.

The Moriahs Circular from the east

Here is my photo album and report from my Shelburne-Moriah Circular Hike. I have done this hike twice and if back in the earea would do it again. A fantastic circular. Check water level of Wild River on the way in so you know if the water level allows you to ford or add two miles to your hike to take the Highwater Trail southeast to the Moriah Brook Trail. The ford is actually fun at the end of a long tiring and exhilarating hike!

Off hand you are looking at 12 miles coming from Evans notch. For about 2 more miles you could loop in from Wild River camp ground up Moriah Brook to Kenduskeag to Shelburne and up the highwater to the bridge and back to Wild River campground. I think this tallied out to 14 miles. (if you fjord the river you can save yourself at least a mile on the way out.) The only drawback is that if it is bad weather the Kenduskeag Trail is very ledgy and exposed to the wind and rain. Not much fun in high winds or inclement weather. On a nice day this is a fantastic walk for views sans the people you find at other locations with like views.

SherpaK and i did a loop up Moriah Brook over to Moriah then Kenduskeag to Shelburne and down Shelburne and across Wild River then up the road to starting point at Wild River Road in late May. It's a GREAT hike w essentially no steeps and lotsa VFTT. But if - when- i do it again i will go up Shelburne and down Moriah Brook tho, as IMO the only potential problem is coming down off the Shelburne late and having trouble either crossing WR in dark or finding High Water trail in dark. :D

Gris said:
But if - when- i do it again i will go up Shelburne and down Moriah Brook tho, as IMO the only potential problem is coming down off the Shelburne late and having trouble either crossing WR in dark or finding High Water trail in dark. :D

Thanks Gris,Arghman(Jason),Askus and Tim; sounds like counterclockwise and maybe we'll do the high water trail first. I'll have my WNG back by then. We'll be watching what if any rain does the the wild river and have to get a very early start. If the VFTT look marginal we'll save it for another day.

Last edited:
I would probably do it for a third time in the clockwise direction. Your feet are wet after fording and then you have the whole hike ahead. Don't resign yourself to the Highwater Trail. Clockwise: if you have old sneakers you can do the road walk (if you park at Wild River CG) in the wet sneakers, tevas, or whatever junk footwear you wear to finish up. Also there are some tricky stream crossings on the Moriah Brook Trail that will be done earlier in the hike. The Shelburne Trail is an old wood road that you will make great time on the descent. Lastly, you have 12 hours of daylight to do a ten hour hike, so I don't feel the time factor is that close to worry about darkness. You have the time to check out the Wild River, before you start the hike.

askus3 said:
I would probably do it for a third time in the clockwise direction. Your feet are wet after fording and then you have the whole hike ahead. Don't resign yourself to the Highwater Trail. Clockwise: if you have old sneakers you can do the road walk (if you park at Wild River CG) in the wet sneakers, tevas, or whatever junk footwear you wear to finish up. Also there are some tricky stream crossings on the Moriah Brook Trail that will be done earlier in the hike. The Shelburne Trail is an old wood road that you will make great time on the descent. Lastly, you have 12 hours of daylight to do a ten hour hike, so I don't feel the time factor is that close to worry about darkness. You have the time to check out the Wild River, before you start the hike.

askus3, you make a good case for going up Moriah gorge first. A roadwalk in wet sneakers or tevas sounds better than dry boots, after a long day. At any rate we'll only attempt this hike if the weather is top notch. I still worry about a early start as our preteenager (12 1/2) can be pretty pokey at times.

Many thanks.

The pics are great!

If you saw the photos, my daughter was 10 when we did the hike the first time. So if your son is 12 and he has hiking experience as long as the hike is not boring he'll do fine and this hike is alot of fun. Esecially the sections on the Moriah Gorge - Carter-Moriah & Kenduskeag Trails. Then when I did it again we had much better weather. The first time the fog rolled in as we summited Moriah and the rest of the hike we just trekked in the fog. Never rained but viewless mist.

I hiked the Shelburne Trail two weeks ago. The Wild River is perhaps 50ft wide there, but very shallow. I rock-hopped in my boots easily. The water was less than one foot deep in the middle.

This trail is very gradual, and not used very much. I removed many logs, which had been there a long time, quite rotted. Only a few now remain.

Soon after turning left onto the Kenduskeag Trail, look for a big boulder on the left. There is a wonderful view from it. There is no sign, but the trail almost touches the base of the big rock. This is the first of many nice views. The trail goes in and out of trees and ledgy areas.

I hiked as far as Shelburne-Moriah summit. It was very windy and I needed to wear a fleece hat, and wind jacket. Without them I would not have been able to stay on the summit.

Near the summit, I saw an unusually large hen spruce grouse. She left the trail as her partner came out to defend her. He was normal-sized, much smaller. It was amusing as he fanned out his tail feathers and slowly walked toward me.

I hiked the Shelburne Trail two weeks ago. The Wild River is perhaps 50ft wide there, but very shallow. I rock-hopped in my boots easily. The water was less than one foot deep in the middle.

This trail is very gradual, and not used very much. I removed many logs, which had been there a long time, quite rotted. Only a few now remain.

Soon after turning left onto the Kenduskeag Trail, look for a big boulder on the left. There is a wonderful view from it. There is no sign, but the trail almost touches the base of the big rock. This is the first of many nice views. The trail goes in and out of trees and ledgy areas.

I hiked as far as Shelburne-Moriah summit. It was very windy and I needed to wear a fleece hat, and wind jacket. Without them I would not have been able to stay on the summit. A hawk flying by was doing about warp-factor 5, probably difficult for hunting.

Near the summit, I saw an unusually large hen spruce grouse. She left the trail as her partner came out to defend her. He was normal-sized, much smaller. It was amusing as he fanned out his tail feathers and slowly walked toward me.

Hi askus3 (Aaron), my son has all the NH 4K and others - so this shouldn't be too difficult for him - just long - he's just turning into a pokey teenager - maybe we'll bring one of his hiking friends to motivate him. Does your daughter still hike?

Forestnome, I've seen one of those guys (spruce grouse) but never knew what they were, thanks. Also wrt the great photo of the young buck in your avatar, I walk the 5-mile circuit in Jackson a few times a month, including the stretch by the Eagle Mountain House. I've seen more deer, moose, and bear along that road walk than hiking in the woods. Alas, I never seem to have the camera when I've seen them. Three weeks ago we saw a sow bear and 2 cubs on Moody Farm Road near where the JSTF Wildcat XC trail crosses the road. Seen many bears crossing there in the past several years.

I did this clockwise and would definitely do so again. Look at the Wild River on the way in and you will have an idea of how hard it is to cross.

Rock-hopping is tough in the dark but unless there is a freshet the Wild River should be easy to wade this time of year. Only the driver needs to lug sneakers, the others can just get their boots wet and wait to be picked up.

I don't think the crossing at the Shelburne Trail is easier than elsewhere. Yet another option is to ignore the sneakers, turn R on the Highwater Trail and hike to opposite the parking lot. Wade it here and you will be right at the car with your wet boots.

Gris said:
SherpaK and i did a loop up Moriah Brook over to Moriah then Kenduskeag to Shelburne and down Shelburne and across Wild River then up the road to starting point at Wild River Road in late May. It's a GREAT hike w essentially no steeps and lotsa VFTT. But if - when- i do it again i will go up Shelburne and down Moriah Brook tho, as IMO the only potential problem is coming down off the Shelburne late and having trouble either crossing WR in dark or finding High Water trail in dark. :D
'
It was definitely nice to stop at Moriah Gorge early in the day. It is an interesting crossing of the Wild at high water (we were there Memorial Day weekend). We were waist deep and it was late as we got a late start.

The loop is one of the nicest around. The ledges on the South side of Moriah are spectaular from the bottom of the cirque. I'll certainly do it again!