West Nile Virus

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clown

Reaction score
Heard on the news that there are some cases of this in Boston and Newton, and I think they issued a public health alert for Eastern Mass. Guess we will have to really splash on the bug spray if we are hiking locally. Can anyone else confirm this? I only caught the last minute or so of the report.

Here's a link to a site that has some info on it. LINK

Last edited:
West Nile is more of a threat to people that are very young, elderly, or suffer from exsisting health issues. You don't want it, but it is basically a very bad flu, I wouldn't frett over it. Lyme disease, EEE and malaria even gardia and multiple bee stings are things we should really focus on in the hiking community. Just my .02.

Mr. X said:
West Nile is more of a threat to people that are very young, elderly, or suffer from exsisting health issues. You don't want it, but it is basically a very bad flu, I wouldn't frett over it. Lyme disease, EEE and malaria even gardia and multiple bee stings are things we should really focus on in the hiking community. Just my .02.

Agreed. The fervor that people are working themselves up in regards to WNV is, in my opinion, somewhat misplaced, especially when I watch the insecticide truck spray who-knows-what kind of chemicals into my open bedroom window during the dead of night.

Edit: Word usage.

Last edited:
Orphic Seth said:
Agreed. The fervor that people are working themselves up in regards to WNV is amusing, until I watch the insecticide truck spray who-knows-what kind of chemicals into my open bedroom window during the dead of night.

I guess so. It affects the central nervous system. That's nothing to shrug off. Chances of an adult getting really ill are low, but why not protect yourself. It's like wearing a seltbelt. Chances are you may not get in an accident on a backroad, but why take the chance?