9/23 - 9/25 Slide climbing weekend!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtn.goat

Reaction score
9/23 - 9/25 3 Great Slides in a Weekend!

Well after hitting every peak I've been interested in I've decided that I can't resist the lure of all those great slides in the ADK's. So next weekend (weather permitting) (9/23-9/26), I am planning on doing as many of the "good" slides as possible. I have never done any so it would be great to have a partner or 2 or 3... for any of these. I'll be doing it as a backpacking trip so anyone who is either interested in doing it as a dayhike or a backpacking trip is welcome. The mileages will be lower and the pace slower than my usual crazy pace as well.

Tentative Plans:
Friday 9/23 - Trap Dyke
Saturday 9/24 - Nippletop Slide
Sunday 9/25 - Eagle Slide

These are still initial plans and will definately hinge on the weather. I'm not sure where I will be sleeping each night but I will post that as my plans start to solidify. Anyone interested in the Trap Dyke please know that I won't be getting up to the loj until later Friday morning (probably won't start the actual climb until around noon).

Last edited:
You may want to consider the 2 "great slides" on E.Dix and the east side slide (90)on colden not to mention numerous slides on Dix the nipple top slide so many more.Has any one ever gone down into the bowl at base of basin's south east face/ridge?when you are on west end of gothics or saddleback summit there are 14 slides to left (south) of summit that have grown considerably in the last 10 years.
run me out in the cold rain and snow(GD)

I am going to do the Eagle on Giant before winter comes in. I've done the Trap Dike recently. Great scramble with a crux at the 'waterfall' and then onto Coldens slide. Its a great one!
The dacks are 3.5 hours for me so I dunno about next weekend for sure. Main factor is the weather. If it were to be exceptional I am definately up for the Eagle. There has been some discussion in a thread I started about doing the Eagle slide in October as well, hell I'll just do it twice :D. It's at the top of my 'to do' list.

Last edited:
The dacks are a 3.5 hour drive for me as well (well to Lake Placid and Keene at least) since I'm coming from CNY. That's why I'm trying to fit as much as is humanly possible into 3 days. I am aware of the Dix slides and I'd love to try to do more than one slide in a day but I don't think I could loop together the dix and nippletop slides in one day. I had read the posts regarding eagle slide and may do that one more than once as well depending on the oct date.

Last edited:
Weather's looking iffy so I may hold off on doing the slide until next weekend (Eagle). The leaves will probably be at or near peak then. If i do that then I'd probably try Eagle slide Saturday (10/01) and maybe meet up with neil for his 46th (@ rocky peak ridge) and then maybe nippletop on sunday. Dom you interested? Any others??

Last edited:
I hope to see you there, I will be giving eagle a go on sat. there are alot of variables In my own planing so I can,t commit (though they say I should be commited) besides I,m opinionated smelly and slow. have a good hike enjoy the climb, be careful not to dislodge any rocks on the slide please,the traverse options are slim if th slide is wet

I decided to scrub this weekend due to the variable weather forecasts and some work that I needed to get done. I will be hopefully attempting the eagle slide next weekend.

hell yah

I was accually thinking about doing it tomarrow, but that would be rushed. I I looked at the forcast and next weekend looks superb. If that holds and gas isn't $6 a gallon I am ready to take on the Eagle. :D I really want to get this one.

edit: I would like to get rocky as well, been up Giant before.

Last edited: