Dog Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweeper

Reaction score
Does anyone have source for dog boots to prevent snow from balling up in hers pads. My dog loves to run when I go skiing and can't stand to stay in the house if she know's I'm out skiing. But it doesn't take too long before she's biting at her paws to get the snow out. I've tryed clipping the hair back, which she hates. She'll most likely hate the boots also

As an alternative to booties......there are a number of waxes on the market today. I use a product called Paw Wax by Excel. I just slather it on making sure there aren't clumps that would cause discomfort. PW claims to protect and condition the paws and prevent slipping. I have found that it doesn't allow those menacing snowballs to form between the toes of the paws, hence more time frolicking in the snow!

Good Luck.....Jade

Jade I thank you, I just ordered a can. Freckles and I will appreciate not have to put on the boots.

I haven't tried the paw waxes.

Cabela's has several selection of booties. The type you want depends on what the intended use is. As always, the trick with booties is to get your dog used to them gradually. I've not had much luck keeping them on the dog in the winter. Someone here suggested wrapping a bit of vetwrap around the leg, strapping on the bootie, then duct taping the bootie to the vetrap. I haven't tried that yet.

I've used Bark n Boots with some success. Once on, the dog doesn't seem to mind at all. I have to readjust them frequently ( maybe the wrong size? ).

Mutt Luks

We've had success with "MuttLuks" in winter and used the same pair while hiking Adams and Madison this summer without a problem.

I believe we got Mutt Luks (or something really similar) for our Golden Retriever and they seemed to work OK. Wasn't in a situation where grip was a requirement. I did lose one of the booties once in heavy snow, you have to really tighten them, and cut off the slack on the strap.

We tried the cream but found it didn't work very well in our case, the snow pellets kept forming.

-Shayne

I use these with my canine companion. http://www.ruffwear.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.11/it.A/id.716/.f I haven't had any problems with them and they do the job for protecting his feet wonderfully. Just remember, it takes a while for most dogs to get used to them. Put them on at first while still at home and then play with your dog a ton! Help her to associate good/happy things with the boots and before you know it, when you pull them out, she'll be jumping for joy! :D

Kevin Rooney said:
So, I time it for the day after a big hike after he's eaten breakfast - at that point he's pretty zonked and you could play John Phillips Souza records at 100db without waking him -
I love it!

:)

We had some success with dog-booties. At first our Sheltie would drop three out of four every 10 yards. Then it was one every 100 yards. Then we got maybe a quarter of a mile before one went missing. It takes some getting used to, like everything in life. With proper technique you can get them to stay on. I haven't tried the wax, but I sure has hell wouldn't argue with Brutus.

I tried two companies before I found a pair that were perfect. The third time was a charm with ruffwear bark-n-boots. They are the best. They have never come off, and now that my dog is used to them, he gets pretty stoked just seeing them.

Moxie doesn't mind his booties at all. I bought the last batch from a sled dog outfit, I can't remember the name though :mad: They have a stretchy velcro band at the top, this really helps. Make sure not to overtighten though. I also use vet wrap and duct tape to keep them on. Works great :) We still loose the occassional bootie, but not nearly as many as we used to.

I bought a set of bootes from Nooksack Racing Supply in Maine. They're a little thin, but conform very well to the paw and are relatively cheap at $8.95 for a set of 4. If they're used in snow only, they should last a while. My dog doesn't like them. She told me so. Read on...

I tried to put them on my dog last winter. She had no problem walking around the neighborhood with only one on. For the next walk, I tried to put two on. This time she struggled with the first one, and would have nothing to do with the second one. As I stood over her trying to slip it on her paw she reared up and smacked the back of her head into my right cheekbone, knocking me down like a sack of potatoes. It hurt so much I thought she broke my eye socket. In the two minutes it took to get off the ground and stagger over to the truck mirror I had a lump the size of a half dollar just under my eye. It later turned a nice shade of purple and didn't go away for three weeks. Everyone at work thought the wife hit me with a frying pan! :D

That was the last time I tried to get booties on her. When the snow flies I will try again, but I'll be weaking my hockey helmet/mask. :) Thanks for the link for the musher's wax. Some mushers on the sledding forums swear by it.

Smitty