Mendon, Killington (67) and Pico 9/17/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHiker

Reaction score
I arrived at the empty parking lot at Sherburne Pass just before 8 Saturday morning. Poison Ivy pulled in right behind me. Expecting more of a turnout than that, we waited until about 8:30. While we were waiting, Drewski stopped by for a few minutes and then headed off to his "job". No one else appeared so we left her car at the pass and took my jeep down to the Bucklin trail parking lot.

As we were gearing up, a couple and their dog (it looked like a poodle but was huge) came down the Bucklin trail and continued down Wheelerville Road. They were the last people we would see until we got to the summit area of Killington.

We headed past the gate and up the old carriage road, counting stream crossings and looking for cairns. All the while we were wondering if anyone else would be catching up to us later. The sky gradually lightened as we made our way up the trail. Despite a 90% chance of rain, it never even sprinkled on us. The road gets steeper after the last stream crossing and soon we came to the first cairn. We never did see the second one, I think it must be gone. We found the third one near the mud hole and then the adventure really began.

Relying on the 3 trip reports that Ivy had, her compass bearing and the comment that Drewski made about some pink tape near the 3rd cairn, we dove into the woods. We followed a faint path for a couple minutes and then starting seeing pink flagging here and there. Soon the tape and the path petered out and we were left on our own following the compass. As we meandered thru the woods following what looked like faint paths to me, a bad feeling was builing up inside both of us. A couple times we almost turned back, but then thought we saw a path. Finally, just as she was about to firmly suggest that we turn around, I saw the very distinct herd path. Unlike the previous one that lead to a deeryard, this was really it. We followed it right to the first summit of Mendon. The fog parted slightly and we could see the ledges on the true summit. At this point, I discovered that my camera decided to take the day off as it was now (and still is) inoperable.

The herd path to the other summit is pretty easy to follow, and we emerged on the ledges just as the sun came out. We still couldn't see too far into the distance but it was still pretty nice. We headed back into the scrub to look for the canister. We followed a herd path to a small clearing in the middle of the summit to no avail. We continued and I zigged when I should have zagged and lead us right into some thick stuff. I couldn't see my way thru, but it was thin down low and easy enough to walk through. At least for me, as my head was above the top of it. (sorry about that). I could see another clearing up ahead and realized that was the end of the summit so if the canister wasn't there, we weren't going to find it. I didn't see it at first, but then I spotted it. We were pretty happy. We made it the whole way, and neither one of us had really done much of this type of thing before.

We headed back down and followed the herd path thinking that we'd see where we missed it on the way up. But again it disappeared. So keeping to the compass we wandered out thru the fairly open woods. Eventually we ran back into the carriage road about 100 feet downwind from where we started.

I wish that we had a GPS with us, only to see what the track would have looked like. I figure we probably did a couple circles and maybe even a figure-8.

Part 2, Killington

We headed up the carriage road to where it intersects the Long Trail near Cooper Lodge. It gets pretty steep in places and gradually narrows to more like a regular trail. Along the way we found the top of an old fire hydrant.

From Cooper Lodge it is a short scramble up to the summit of Killington. At the top we met two other hikers and looked around expecting to see the rest of the group. But they were nowhere to be found. After a couple of pictures at the summit, we headed over to the summit lodge for some overpriced soda and the brownies that Posion Ivy had brought. Here's where the others really missed out. Since you guys didn't show up, I had to eat 4 of them. We hung out for a little while and then headed back out. The sun was back out and the fog seemed to be lifting. We could see over to Pico and the Alpine Slide but not much else.

We headed back to Cooper Lodge and after getting turned around by one of the recent re-routes we were on our way north on the LT/AT.

Part 3, Pico

It was a long slog along the LT/AT to the junction with the Sherburne pass trail. My feet and knees were starting to hurt a little and I was slowing down. The fog continued to recede and we were treated to occasional rays of sunshine and even peeks at the blue sky. I was hopeful that there'd at least be a view on Pico.

We finally got to the junction. At this point, I needed to pop an advil to quiet my bad knee down. We were amused by the signs that couldn't agree on the mileage to Pico Camp. It was either .5 or .7 but it sure didn't seem like it. We were both commenting on how short it seemed to be.

When we arrived at Pico Camp, there were 2 gentlemen there that were spending the night who were just setting up camp. In the distance we could hear the sounds of some trailworkers but I never saw them. We took a short break. Posion Ivy decided to skip Pico since she'd already been there. So I left my pack (which she says is way too heavy) in her care and took off up the Pico Link with just a half full bottle of luke-warm Gatorade slung over my shoulder. It's amazing how much faster I went without all that extra weight. The Pico Link trail crosses the service road and ski trails 2 or 3 times. The crossing are at a slight angle but marked fairly obviously with cairns (if I can find them, anyone can). I reached the top, but by this time, the fog had rolled back in and so no view. I headed back down to Pico Camp and we headed out to Sherburne Pass.

On the way down the trail comes out onto a ski trail for a couple feet before plunging back into the woods. We had a nice view of Deer's Leap above the Long Trail Inn. Chittenden Resevoir was easily visible as well. And futher back was a village which I'm pretty sure is Pittsfield.

We got back to the car about 5:45, just missing Drewski by 15 minutes or so.

Part 4, etc.

All in all, it was a pretty successful day.

It didn't rain at all, in fact I got a slight sunburn on my face. I sucessfully completed my first bushwhack peak (unless you count Owl's Head and Redington). And I completed the New England 67 4k's. I didn't make it to the Long Trail Brewery since it closes at 5, but that's ok. And I didn't get to meet any of the people that I expected to, but there's always some other time.

And since I was nearby, I stopped and visited some old friends in Plymouth Notch, and then my parents and grandparents in Cavendish before heading home.

I guess most everyone else must have gone on Sunday instead. If so, I hope you had good weather and were able to see something.

Reactions: MEB
Congratulations Steve for finishing the 67! :)

This trip was a whole lot of fun... once I was finally sure we weren't lost ! Let's just say it's not a good sign when I have the most bushwhacking experience in a group... but we made it just fine! :) My compass skills really got a work out but the three trip reports and two maps I printed out were a big help.

I put a link to my pictures in the planning thread, but I'll put one here too in case... they are here.

Congrats again! :) And onto the 100 highest now!

-Ivy

poison ivy said:
Congratulations Steve for finishing the 67! :)

This trip was a whole lot of fun... once I was finally sure we weren't lost ! Let's just say it's not a good sign when I have the most bushwhacking experience in a group... but we made it just fine! :) My compass skills really got a work out but the three trip reports and two maps I printed out were a big help.

I put a link to my pictures in the planning thread, but I'll put one here too in case... they are here.

Congrats again! :) And onto the 100 highest now!

-Ivy
Good job Steve and Poison Ivy! Nice to get started at Map and Compass work and bushwhacking. Steve: forget the GPS - use it for geocaching. Work on the map and compass till you're comfortable. (then it's OK to bring the GPS :))

Congrats! The herd path might peter out here and there and I might have forgotten to mention that, but on the whole if you just keep going where it vanishes, it reappears so quickly that you forget about it.

At least that's my excuse.
:)

I'm glad you stayed dry - it was a different story (but all smiles) further north.

MichaelJ said:
Congrats! The herd path might peter out here and there and I might have forgotten to mention that, but on the whole if you just keep going where it vanishes, it reappears so quickly that you forget about it.

And congrats to you too! :)

Yea, on the way up, if we were able to get back on track after the big blowdown we could have followed it all the way without a problem. On the way down from the summit, we managed to follow it all the way back to the place we got off track earlier and could see where we went wrong.

On the way down, I think we only lost it again as we got close to the road because we started looking up at the pink surveyor tape instead of down at our feet.

- Ivy

poison ivy said:
Yea, on the way up, if we were able to get back on track after the big blowdown we could have followed it all the way without a problem. On the way down from the summit, we managed to follow it all the way back to the place we got off track earlier and could see where we went wrong.

On the way down, I think we only lost it again as we got close to the road because we started looking up at the pink surveyor tape instead of down at our feet

Yeah, what she said! :D

It sounds like your bushwhack was about the same as ours. You just have to keep going forward and you eventually find the top(s). We went Sunday. Sorry we missed you!

And congrats to SteveHiker!

Congrats, Steve! I'm glad I was able to share so many of your other hikes on the quest to do the NE67, and sure wish I could've made this one as well. Let's hoist some bubbly soon to celebrate proper-like. :D :D :D

You were obviously much more adventurous than we Slowpokes who took the "easy" route to accompany Michael J on Mansfield. Well, at least you didn't get rained on!

Congrats to you, Steve! And your excellent hiking partner on this hike.

Double Bow said:
A very BIG congrats on this accomplishment! Wish I could have been there but like Tom said, we were a day behind you. See we were tryin' to catch up but, we just got a REALLY late start!!! :D

was there more of a view on Sunday?

I suppose I'll have to go back.

Congrats SteveHiker...sorry i bailed out but i heard the drive was 2 hours away from the camp site, so i hiked with Periwinkle and Mad townie and saw MichaelJ celebrate for his 67...i think i have only 64 more to go!

SteveHiker said:
was there more of a view on Sunday?

I suppose I'll have to go back.

Well, we didn't see much. To give you an idea, we could not see the true summit of Mendon from the first summit bump! But when we got over there, we could see back to it.

Of course, by the time we finished the hike, it was clearing up!