Quick clean-ups for cheapskates?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch79

Reaction score
Pardon another bonehead question, but they're kinda my trademark.
Wondering if there's anyplace in the High Peaks (like the Loj) or on the perimeter (Lake Placid, Keene Valley) where one could grab a shower for just a nominal charge after hiking out from a few days of camping/climbing. I know there are plenty of very nice motels with very reasonable nightly rates, but I don't want a whole night for 75 bucks -- just 30 minutes with a shower for considerably less money, so I can walk into a store or diner without folks thinking a Yeti's come down from the hills, and then drive the eight hours home. I seem to recall JBL providing this sort of facility at one time, but that was like 25 years ago, and besides, that's a three-mile hike from the car, which kinda defeats the purpose. Thanks for any input.

Happy trails --
Uncle Butch

Not sure of specific ones in your area, but most campgrounds will let you use their showers for a couple of bucks.

The Adirondack loj has 2 Showers that are coin operated, right at the trail head. The cost is $.25 per minute, and it is definately worth it to have a $5 shower after a long hike. I have gone this route many times.

-percious

The Hostel in Keene Valley will let you use the shower for a couple of bucks - don't remember the exact amount, but worth every penny :)

Oldsmores said:
The Hostel in Keene Valley will let you use the shower for a couple of bucks - don't remember the exact amount, but worth every penny :)
We stopped here for a shower at the summer gathering. They were out of heating oil so no hot water. I still haven't warmed up from that cold shower yet! The showers were nice and clean though.

Butch:

The showers at Adirondack Loj are in the information bldg not the Loj itself....they're opposite the rest rooms in the back of the bldg and there are two separate showers. I THINK that they are even available after the main part of the bldg itself is locked...I THINK they keep some back doors open so there is access to the restrooms and the showers. Can anyone verify this? They work out great..........

Pat

Oldsmores said:

It’s $3, which includes shampoo, soap and towel. Plenty of hot water last week. No soap or shampoo? - look under the sink in the kitchen. The showers are self-service and the place is run by two of the nicest people that you likely won't get to meet. The $20 bunkroom accommodations are pretty good, too. I wish there was a place like this everywhere I hike.

Big big thanks to everybody for the valuable info.
You guys rock, as always. :)

Happy trails --
Uncle Butch