British Tips

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orsonab

Reaction score
These are some tips I just scavenged out of the August edition of "Trail" magazine, a British equivalent of "Backpacker." If you ever decide to pop over The Pond, pick up a copy - it's worth a read.

Anyway, the following are bits of advice about maintaining your hydration pack which you may or may not know so enjoy!

1) Cleaning your hydration pack:
- At the end of the hike, fill the bladder with tapwater and run it out through the tube and bite valve (hold the bladder up high and the bite valve low and let gravity do its work)
- OR Tip 3/4 cup of water plus 1/4 cup of baking soda into bladder, close and shake THEN add 1/4 cup of lemon juice, seal the cap, shake for ten seconds THEN TAKE OFF THE CAP or your bladder will explode. Repeat this last part three times. Empty, expel as much air as possible, replace the cap, leave for twenty minutes, than rinse out with tapwater. (Did I mention you then had to spin around three times while doing the hokey-pokey?)

2) Make sure no water gets trapped in the hydration pack by:
- inserting three golf practice balls (the ones with holes in them); they'll hold the sides of the bladder apart.
- OR insert the handles of three wooden spoons then stand the ladder on its end so the spoons form a tripod stand.
- Let the tube dry by swinging it then storing it pointed downwards with the bite valve off.
- Remember to clean out the bite valve with a Q-tip for time to time.

3) Store your hydration pack in the freezer to slow any formation of bacteria BUT always store the bladder pack dry and as flat as possible. Allow it to thaw out for a few minutes before filling it with water.

4) Keep your bite valve clean by taking an empty 35mm film cannister (remember them?), drill a hole in the bottom slightly larger than your hydration tube and thread it on. Attach your bite valve and the film cannister should slide over the valve protecting it from mud, etc.

Any other Brits out there?

hey orsonab, not sure if I am being presumptious in thinking you're a fellow brit - hi there mate, you alright? (ignore this to those of you that don't understand British :) ). Anyway, I'm heading back over to Britain in November and would love to continue with all this outdoors/hiking addiction that I picked up in NH. I have never done anything in the outdoors seriously while in England so I don't have much idea of where to start. From my research so far, it doesn't look as if hiking is as challenging as it is in NH. Where can I find hiking routes in England that are comparable to NH? Besides the magazine you had mentioned, what other good resources can I pick up to figure all this out? The winters are never as harsh as they are over here, but is it worth investing in some winter gear for use over in England? What about clubs/websites such as VFTT that I could join? Any other Brits out there or anyone with hiking experience in England please send me as much info as possible - I would really appreciate it! Thanks.

Another British Citizen here (dual citizen). I spent quite a bit of time there when I was younger after serving in europe, but now I only get back there every 4-5 years for a few weeks at a time.

Although the weather isn't as harsh, hiking the fells can be a brutal experience in the winter and in cold bitter rain.
Here are some Fell Walking Pages and Tramping & Mountaineering and cragrat links

cheers
Rick (descendant of the Border Reivers)

Thanks for the info! Please keep the info/experiences of hiking in Britain coming if there is anymore out there. Recommendations on guide books/clubs will be great too. There are many to chose from so would prefer recommendations over my random choosing.

not british but have family in ireland (in fact heading over in 2 weeks and going to scotland as well for 2 days to visit brother in law) - having our child baptised there (ireland) - my wife is from dublin. I won't have time for hiking which sucks - would love to get to the highlands. Hiked in ireland before and it quite fun - small peaks but devoid of trees for the most part - kind of give a higher feel to them - plus with the wind coming of the sea - they are not mt washington in the winter - but they can pack a punch. the temps just hover at the awful right above freezing temps which is the worst weather imho.

I was probably one of the few americans that reconized Hugh Laurie (that show HOUSE - he plays DR House) as a brit comedian - his stuff in the blackadder and a bit a frye and laurie is some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen -

I know there are numerous hiking clubs in ireland/britain - I don't know any off hand - but they are there - known as hillwalking clubs. There are mountaineering clubs as well. from what I hear ben nevis is pretty hardcore in the winter.

cherio

Last edited:
May

I was born and raised in Britain. My family would go hiking in the Lake District. While the mountains are not as high as the Whites, they are still challenging, especially as the hiking is mostly above tree-line. The reputation for being a rainy country is well deserved so get good rain gear. My kids (born and raised in the States) thought the sheep that roam all through the hills were pretty funny.

For the Lake District pick up Wainwrights Guides Wainwright Society . These books detail many trails through the hills. He would sketch the views in various directions from each peak, which is very useful. I'm sure you can find similar guides for Wales and Scotland. You can also hike through the Yorkshire Dales. Ordance Survey maps link are also a great source of information.

EDIT It turns there's a peak baggers list for the Lake District - all 214 peaks described in Wainwright's seven books. Should keep you busy for a while, if you are into that sort of thing link

Last edited:
Such wonderful info!

This is all such wonderful information. I had browsed through some websites in my free time, but the ones forwarded to me are great. I always think asking people for info is much more beneficial than screening through the good and not so good by myself.

I heard of the Peak district and Lake district and will probably live in Derby so I have easy access to them. Since I haven't done any hiking/walking/tramping in the UK I hope that I will not be in much shock. I started hiking in NH so please alert me for anything that I may be unprepared for. I've been told most of the hiking is above treeline - are the winds and climate ever going to get as hazadous as it can in the whites? I have invested in a good rainjacket, but if there is other gear that is worth investing in for British climate forward your ideas please (with the exchange rate as it is, I think it's a good idea to spend it here). I would eventually like to hike Ben Nevis and I have to admit that lists appeal to me so the 200 or so will definitely keep me busy. How accesible are hiking routes by public transport? Anyone know? Won't have my own transport when I first return.

Thank you! Thank you!

"Run away, run away"
"I'm not dead yet, I'm still not dead"

Born There!!!

May said:
I heard of the Peak district and Lake district and will probably live in Derby so I have easy access to them.

Hi May,

I'm dual nationality Canadian/British and grew up in Derby of all places. I started "walking" in the Peak district back in the late 70's so can help with most "trails" around there.
There are some good long distance walks in England (remember, the mountains aren't that high but are made up for with going longer distances).
There is one named "The Limey Way" that basically runs from north to south through the limestone dales of the peak district.
There's another long walk around the Peak called The Peakland way.... a circular walk over 100 miles in length. I did it in about a week as I recall.

There are some nice pictures of the Peak at this site....
http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/
and
http://www.bootsandpaws.co.uk/peakd.html

Another good link and well worth checking is...

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/

They have a nice Forum a lot like this one.

May said:
How accesible are hiking routes by public transport? Anyone know? Won't have my own transport when I first return.

Public transport is generally pretty good it's about 1/2hr. bus ride from Derby up to Matlock at the base of the Peak district. There are some very interesting walks in southern Derbyshire too. I would recommend you get a hold of a good 1:50,000 ordance survey map of the area you plan to start with and go from there. Happy Rambling!

-Phil

Last edited: