Fool Killer and Scaur Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dick Martel

Reaction score
I would like to do a bushwack to both the Fool Killer and Scaur Peak in one hike this fall. I plan to go up the Sabbaday Brook Trail, shoot off to The Fool Killer then go to Scaur Peak, returning via the Pine Bend Brook Trail.

The question I have is whether anybody has bushwacked from The Fool Killer directly to the Pine Bend Brook Trail? ie. in a Northwest fashion, hopefully hitting the Pine Bend Brook Trail somewhere above the Scaur Ridge Trail. Is it reasonable to do it that way rather than returning to Sabbaday then going up to the col of North and Middle Tripyramid and over to Pine Bend Brook Trail?

Since I have never bushwached the area, I was curious how thick things were, other conditions, if anybody has done it, whether it's worth doing that way, etc. etc.

i did it in the opposite direction.
i found it to be easy.
:D :D :D :D :D
need more info than that???

No, thanks, that's great. I just didn't want to hit the "Scar Ridge" type stuff for the entire way.

I hear you and Michelle were successful on your AT trip this summer.

Is the 'Fool Killer' a REALLY difficult mountain or a humorous name for a normal mountain?

Some "fools" attempted to do the Tripyramids from the east and ended up having the mountain named in their honor.

Both Fool Killer and Scaur Peak are usually thought of as "easy" bushwhacks. There's an incredibly well kept path most of the way from Pine Bend Brook to the Scaur Peak summit with some seriously near gnarled birches along the way and heavily moose browsed meadow areas which present some nice if restricted views. Climbing the Fool Killer from Sabbaday puts you in open deciduous woodsmost of the way and can give you views of a nice little ravine with a picturesque waterfall. If I recall there are three registers along the summit ridge which certainly improves your chances of boasting "I came out right at the register".
Some years ago I led one trip up the Fool killer under the "What me worry?" caption while I believe someof our more serious members may have done this peak on April 1.

all the registers are gone!!
i walked that open ridge 3 times. came up with nothing. same goes for the "missin link". nothin'!!!
hi bill!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Foolkiller

I also found no cannisters....still a nice wack,tho I did it differently.Scaur was quite easy....MJ ;)