Which down jacket to buy?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl Hungus

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been researching to buy a down jacket. I'd like this jacket to serve double duty for the backcountry as well as the city. The backcountry duties being more important of course. Anyway, there are 3 I'm looking at. The GoLite Cumulus, Feathered Friends Helios and the MontBell Down Liner Jacket. Can anyone offer advice from experience with any of these jackets? Unfortunately I have no vendors for these products in my area. That's why I'm trying to make sure I pick the best one right off the bat. I've heard great things about FF but I don't own any of their gear. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have been very happy with the mountain hardware sub zero jacket - my versions is the slighty more expensive one with the conduit shell -

I used to have the north face summit jacket with the dry-loft shell (still have it actually) and that was decent as well.

both succesfully repelled snow - haven't really tested it in rain.

if you can afford the feathered freinds one - go for it - its great stuff - just expensive as hell

Several climbing / skiing pals own Feathered Friends products - jackets and sleeping bags. They're all very happy with their purchases.

I'd go for feathered friends.
I am in the market for a down jacket and will be getting a FF.
they are made to fit, everything is customizable AND still made in the USA - which is especially appealing to me.
I don't think they are all that pricey - you get what you pay for. besides, this is a jacket you'll likely have for a very long time. think of it as an investment!

I bought a FF Frontpoint Jacket last fall, with 800+ fill and Epic fabric. So far I've been happy with it, although it's definitely too much jacket for wearing around town. My priority was to have a jacket I could carry on winter dayhikes that would keep me alive if I needed to spend the night in the woods. The Helios is sewn-thru construction which in my opinion is not adequate for that purpose in subzero weather, but would be comfortable (although expensive) for wearing around town.

I know you didn't mention it as one of your three options, but ever since Primaloft, I haven't bought anything down. The jackets are really light and not as "puffy" as down. They're just as warm but have the added benefit of keeping their insulation qualities when they get wet.

Wow! Thanks for all the speedy responses. I guess I'll take much closer look at the FF. Any opinions of the type of water repellent? Epic, Pertex or eVENT? I plan on having my rain shell handy so the eVENT might be a little bit of overkill.

I plan on getting out and snowshoeing for the first time this year. Also some winter backpacking will hopefully be right aroung the corner as well. I will be doing most of my activity in the Whites and Western Mass. I'm going into it with the attitude of buying very good gear right from the start. My experience with 3 season gear is that I'm constantly wanting to upgrade because I try to weight out budget and performance. I think that approach has actually cost me more money in some cases because I quickly find out I should have gone with the better pack, rain jacket, sleeping bag...etc.

mommabear said:
I know you didn't mention it as one of your three options, but ever since Primaloft, I haven't bought anything down. The jackets are really light and not as "puffy" as down. They're just as warm but have the added benefit of keeping their insulation qualities when they get wet.
You beat me to the post. A good argument for synthetic is that it will be easier to remain dry if you have an unplanned night out. For that single reason I will probably go synthetic.

On another note:

I own a cheap down jacket and shopped for a good lightweight one all last year and bought nothing. It seems that all light weight down jackets come without hoods. Everybody knows that the head and neck are important heat loss areas but for some reason (with the notable exception of the FF Volant) you can't get a hood with a lightweight jacket.

mommabear said:
The same trade-offs as sleeping bags:
* Down:
- lighter, stuffs better, lasts longer
- needs to be kept dry
* Polyester
- heavier, stuffs bigger, shorter life
- more moisture tolerant

Take your choice...

Doug

Being able to where it around town doesn't have to be an option. I'd just like to get a lot of miles/uses out of whatever I purchase.

I really haven't looked into synth fills because I prefer the benefits of down. However since I want to make a good purchase I will explore my options.

HikingFish,
How is MEC gear? I have looked that their tarps and rain gear in the past but never made a purchase. The prices seem decent. How's the quality?

Karl Hungus said:
How is MEC gear? I have looked that their tarps and rain gear in the past but never made a purchase. The prices seem decent. How's the quality?

I can help answer that question. Before I bought my FF jacket, I had planned on getting the MEC Cygnus jacket but it was not available at the time. It is very similar to the FF Frontpoint, Marmot Plasma and MH Sub-Zero (hip-length, baffled and about 2 lbs.). I also have the MEC Northern Lite Primaloft jacket that I use around town either by itself or under a shell, and the MEC hut booties with synthetic fill. I consider both of these items to be an excellent value, perhaps not top-of-the-line in quality but good enough for my needs.

MEC Cygnus

Last edited:
Karl Hungus said:
HikingFish,

I've purchased a lot of their stuff (Magma insulated jacket, Gore-Tex shell, gloves, tuques, long johns, soft shell pants, etc...) and I am happy with most of them.

Most of the purchases I didn't like were made by my own mistake (bought a pair of gloves that were too tight and not exactly what I needed, but they looked so nice I had to buy a pair), except for my soft shell pants, which I feel has a design flaw in that the front zipper lets [cold] wind in...not fun, but something I can live with.

I have the Magma jacket for winter hiking rest stops and it looks pretty spiffy in town as well. Compresses fairly well into a ball (I stuff it inside the hood). I'm very happy with it and it has kept me warm on multiple occassions (in the daks and in the Chic-Chocs). Price was relativily cheap too, 205$ CDN.

Magma Jacket

My only concern with MEC stuff is that sometimes their colors are butt ugly.

Hope this helps you!

Fish

Kevin Rooney said:
Are you certain you need a high-end down jacket for back-country activities? For the most part, heavy-duty jackets filled with either down or Primaloft (the ones that make you look like the Michelin Man) are used either for emergencies or when you're backcountry camping and sitting quietly. To actually wear one hiking or snowshoeing is quite unnecessary - you'll be drenched in sweat within a few hundred yards.
Just want to second Kevin's comments:

My down jacket has traveled many miles in my daypack and I can't recall ever having needed it. (I carry it for emergencies.)

It does get used on overnighters.

Doug

Karl,

Check your personal messages. I sent you a l-o-n-g one that basically says the same thing that Kevin and Doug communicated in a paragraph or two (!).

Also think about weight

I have a TNF Nuptse, which is significantly worse than most of the jackets you are looking at. I do take it in the middle of winter and wear it only at camp, between ice climbs, at rest stops etc. I keeps me plenty warm (I've been ok at -9). Even then, I hesitate to take it on day hikes or in the early/late season as 2 pounds is 2 pounds, and most of the time I can get similar warmth from layering / hot water bottle / light exercise (jumping jacks).

My recommendation is to only spend >$150 if you plan on doing significant sub 0 degree overnight trips in the near future. If you are going for a week in the sierras in January, go for it, but for snowshoieing in New England, the FF is overkill IMHO...

I really appreciate all the responses. Please keep them coming. I'd like to be as educated as possible before purchasing winter gear.

I have no intention of wearing this jacket while actively hiking or snowshoeing. I am really planning for my winter backpacking trips (multi day) and overnighters. Around camp and super cold/windy breaks is when I see the bulk of use. My comments about wearing around town was really just to get as much use as possible out of the investment.

i just got this jacket last year and wore it everyday during the winter. it was an invaluable piece of gear that will keep you very toasty...

ll bean mountain guide

M38791_Colonial_Red.jpg

agreed that a high-end down jacket may be overkill if you just want to snowshoe and camp. unless you plan on some high altitude climbs in the near future, I guess you're better off spending a bit less and getting something more suited to your needs.
for hiking in the winter, I usually wear a bunch of layers and remove them accordingly.

I'm only getting the FF for high alt stuff I'm planning on doing in the near future.. that and also to spoil myself :)