Camping past Zealand Hut?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghassert

Reaction score
Matawan, NJ Avatar:Harriman Stae Park, NY
I was planning to go to Guyot campsite next week. The plan was to hike up Zealand trail to the Twinway to Bondclif trail.

I've seen the thread about the bridge closure and there's a good chance that we won't be able to get an early enough start to catch the shuttle up Zealand road. So, this means a couple of extra miles hiking and coupled with my inactivity the past few months, I'm not sure if I'll have what it takes to make it to the site in one shot with a full pack.

So, I was wondering if there are are any camping sites beyond the hut. I know I could hike in via the Wilderness trail and camp along the Bondclif trail there, but I've done that a few times and was interested in doing this trip form the Zealnd side.

Thanks,

Glenn

There are places to camp down the west side of the Ethan Pond Trail south of the Twinway junction.

Once you go up past the Hut there's very little, and no water except at Zeacliff Pond. I don't know the camping opportunities there.

I am not sure if this is legal or not, but there is a flat area right at the Zealand Summit, which is a .1 mile spur off the Twinway. It would probably hold a single tent. Aside from that, it appears very flat around the Zealand summit area, so getting off trail and finding a flat legal spot is probably achievable.