Zeacliff or ? advice needed??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjo

Reaction score
Haver never hiked this before but hearing about the great views from the zeacliff ledges. AMC guide lists this as a reco'd but strenuous hike. I'm 60+ with bum knees but would like to try. Is this too demanding?? I don't plan to go to top of Zealand but only to this ridge/overlook as a day hike. Any pitfalls? Guide isn't clear as to directions and distance etc as this is not the summit. Or I am better to stick w easier trails such as Edmonds to Ike or Black Mt, Osceola, Jackson or Crawford? Thanks for your advice.. :confused:

I haven't done Zeacliff Tr myself and it has been a long time since I have hiked the Twinway, but it is my understanding the Zeacliff ledges can be accessed from the Twinway. Should be a bit easier on the knees.

Doug

Last edited:
It's a wonderful view, certainly, and not that bad a hike. The easiest way in is from the Zealand Falls Hut, which does pose some problems right now, as the road to the hut is closed. You have to park on 302 and either follow a new trail to the Sugarloaf campground or cross the stream where the bridge is out, then catch the AMC hiker shuttle to drive you up to the trailhead. See here for details. That will require you to be at the shuttle stop before and after to catch a ride, or it'll add 3 miles to your hike.

The trail to the hut is pretty level and easy. From the hut to Zeacliff via the Twinway is rough in places, but it's not overly long. From the hut to the cliffs is 1.5 miles with a gain of 1250'.

-dave-

zeacliff

Dave's correct, arrange to take the shuttle in to the trailhead at the end of Zealand Rd. The hike in from there is very nice, easy and scenic, and you get to stop at the Hut for a break, water and facilities both on the way in and out. The trail above the Hut up to the ridge is a little rough but not bad if you take your time. The VFTT are well worth it.

Hope you have a great day.
:)

Came down it this summer...

Hey,

A friend and I came to it from the west (Twinway) this June and descended. It was indeed tricky in a few places, but only because of my mild vertigo and a full pack. "Tricky" for me: over 40, lame joints, 50-lb pack, moderate experience (+/- 30 hikes total), and this trail. Some hand-holds, some turn-arounds and a couple of far reaches. Really, though, not exactly a 'cliff' in the usual sense. It's not a show-stopper in my view.

The views from the top were indeed wonderful.

Good luck!

--M.

Thanks guys...Good tips. With the road closed, I'm probably going to go with another of the hikes I mentioned in the original post. This is one of few times, the AMC guidebook isn't clear as to approach and distance,etc. Thanks again,this hike will be scheduled for another season..

The guidebooks seemed pretty clear. There's the distance from the trailhead to the A-Z juntion, then the Twinway to the junction with the Zeacliff trail. That second junction is right next to the top of Zeacliff.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
The guidebooks seemed pretty clear. There's the distance from the trailhead to the A-Z juntion, then the Twinway to the junction with the Zeacliff trail. That second junction is right next to the top of Zeacliff.

-dave-
Thanks Dave. You're right. I guess the road closing is a factor for me w the added time/distance and scheduling if I end up using the shuttle. I plan to do it but maybe on a later hike. Thanks.