Above treeline travel tricks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi!
I didn't want to change the subject of another thread I had started...so I felt I should start a new one (plus, it's Monday...I feel the need to post!).

I thought of going on an above treeline travel course with EMS, but I'm afraid it's too expensive for me. I was wondering if I could perhaps learn everyone's favorite above treeline travel tips and tricks. What would be the 5 most important things to do or carry with you if, let's say, one were to do the Franconia Ridge?

Look forward to your replies!!

Fish

Here are the top five things I would carry. To be safe there are many more things one should bring along.

In summer:
Rain/wind breaker
Extra Socks
Water
Food
Sun Screen

In Winter:
Crampons
Snowshoes
Gloves
Jacket
Water

A first aid kick is needed above all in both seasons. And ski poles are probably crucial in winter as well.

hikingfish said:
Hi!... I thought of going on an above treeline travel course with EMS, but I'm afraid it's too expensive for me. I was wondering if I could perhaps learn everyone's favorite above treeline travel tips and tricks. What would be the 5 most important things to do or carry with you if, let's say, one were to do the Franconia Ridge?

I'll just add that the time to bundle up is *BEFORE* you get above tree line. Don't wait until you are freezing cold and the wind is blowing at 50mph to say, "Hey, let's stop and put on some more gear!". :eek:

Plan ahead...

1) Keep an eye on the skies! Weather moves in fast and can leave you stranded. Once you lose sight of the trail's entrance into the forest in a whiteout, you could be in trouble. Watch for those descending/approaching clouds.

2) Be prepared with warm clothing. The weather (temp and windspeed) can be drastically different in just five minutes of hiking from in the trees to above them.

3) Move quickly, mostly b/c of reason #1. However, if the weather does look very promising, then completely ignore #3. :)

4) I always tried to take 'mental snapshots' of the trail as I ascend (if I plan to descend similarly), so that I have a good idea how to follow the trail in a fog and where a good hiding place would be in case of lightning.

5) Bring a camera.

It's interesting to consider a list of 5 things that are universal regardeless of which season. Here's my cut at it, with as much time as work will allow (not much)...

1) Adequate Windgear - IMO, this is wear GoreTex really shines just because of it's added windproofness over plain nylon.

2) Adequate Warm Cloting - What this should be depends on the season. But, a warm had and gloves/mittens of some sort go year round.

3) Stiff Soled Shoes/Boots - Personal dictates how stiff is stiff enough but hiking all day on the rocks above treeline is rougher on the foot than trail walking. Still soles allow me to walk rock top to rock top. Much easier.

4) Hiking Poles with Straps - Rubber tips for summer. Metal tips for Winter.

5) Adequate Eyewear - Sunglasses year round. Goggles in the winter.

6) Pre-researched Escape Routes - I like Marc Chauvin's idea of printed compass bearing off of ridges. Following cairn lines can be impossible in white outs. Finding reentry points at treeline can be hard.

7) Willingness to Turn Around - This is probably the most important. You need to know when to bail out. Signs and signals depend on the season.

Oh dear, I didn't keep it at 5!!

NOTE: Winter travel above treeline takes a while to learn and can't be reduced to a list like this. Lots of things that are must haves for winter that are not mentioned in this post.

Fish, in winter.

Ski goggles and a face mask.
Adhesive tape on the back of your compass with bearings written down so you can dial your way back to safety. :D

dave.m said:
It's interesting to consider a list of 5 things that are universal regardeless of which season. Here's my cut at it, with as much time as work will allow (not much)...

1) Adequate Windgear - IMO, this is wear GoreTex really shines just because of it's added windproofness over plain nylon.

2) Adequate Warm Cloting - What this should be depends on the season. But, a warm had and gloves/mittens of some sort go year round.

3) Stiff Soled Shoes/Boots - Personal dictates how stiff is stiff enough but hiking all day on the rocks above treeline is rougher on the foot than trail walking. Still soles allow me to walk rock top to rock top. Much easier.

4) Hiking Poles with Straps - Rubber tips for summer. Metal tips for Winter.

5) Adequate Eyewear - Sunglasses year round. Goggles in the winter.

6) Pre-researched Escape Routes - I like Marc Chauvin's idea of printed compass bearing off of ridges. Following cairn lines can be impossible in white outs. Finding reentry points at treeline can be hard.

7) Willingness to Turn Around - This is probably the most important. You need to know when to bail out. Signs and signals depend on the season.

Oh dear, I didn't keep it at 5!!

NOTE: Winter travel above treeline takes a while to learn and can't be reduced to a list like this. Lots of things that are must haves for winter that are not mentioned in this post.

I'd combine 1,2 & 3 to be #1 - adequate clothing

2 - adequate food and drink
3 - map and compass and adequate knowledge on how to read them
4 – adequate knowledge of your abilities
5 – adequate use of the above 4

Everyone, thanks a lot for your interesting posts!

Dave.m, I'm actually more interesting in winter travel than summer as a matter of fact. I'd really appreciate it you could append to your original post when you get a bit more time ;)

I have a specific question I could throw in here to keep the post'n going lol.
I have a balaclava (fleece), but obviously, the wind goes right through...Now I have my gore-tex jacket's hood, which provides some excellent protection on the sides and rear, but if I'm walking straight into the wind, is it rather chilly. What do people normally do: Purchase a windproof facemask to wear over the balaclava or purchase a facemask that has fleece attached to it?

Fish

Keep your compass handy. Have the reciprocal bearing to the treeline either dialed into your compass or taped to its reverse in case the visibility drops to zero while you're up there.

Alan

hikingfish said:
I have a specific question I could throw in here to keep the post'n going lol.
I have a balaclava (fleece), but obviously, the wind goes right through...Now I have my gore-tex jacket's hood, which provides some excellent protection on the sides and rear, but if I'm walking straight into the wind, is it rather chilly. What do people normally do: Purchase a windproof facemask to wear over the balaclava or purchase a facemask that has fleece attached to it?

Fish

I wear a wool balaclava and ski goggles under my jacket's hood. The zipper comes up to about the tip of my nose and I pull the balaclava up to the bottom of the goggles so there's no exposed skin. You may want to get a balaclava with a windblock membrane.

For the five tips:

1. Learn from somebody who's experienced.
2. On your first few trips, only go somewhere that you're familiar with in summer.
3. Go down the same trail you go up.
4. Don't jump off rocks while wearing crampons.
5. Save a layer for the way down.

I use a neoprene face mask with goggles and hood. Last winter I was able to spend a few hours above treeline at -17 with 80 mph winds and not get frostbite. On the other hand, my traveling companions did get it despite their masks, so maybe it was the fact of my beard making little air spaces for insulation!

I've used the neoprene for downhill skiing, too. It's far more windproof than your usual wool or fleece balaclava. I can't yet speak for the Windstopper ones, though.

1) I second or third the advice of taping your escape bearing to your compass. Will add to attach it with a lanyard to the zipper pull of an outer pocket of your parka, or around your neck under your parka for easy access in a gale.

2) Use overmitts with "idiot cords" that attach to your wrist, to keep from sailing away. Have the mitts fit so you can wear light gloves under the mitts. Mitts come off for detailed work and pop right back on (you don't even have to put them down thanks to the cords).

3) Keep the googles stashed in an outer pocket or top pack pocket until you turn into the wind. No need to risk fouling them with frost until you really needed them. Related, googles and facemask must work together as a system. Idealy, you should be able to exhale through your mouth and not fog your googles but this rare. Windproof face mask is a must, imo, but the windproofness will work against your googles. Googles should be double paned, btw. And never put them up on your forehead like Jean Claude Killy. They'll frost for sure there.

4) Stay hydrated and keep water handy. Insulated bottle holders are ok. Another approach is to put small waterbottles in the inner pockets of your pocket. I would avoid hydration systems with tubes, which can freeze. Lack of hydration can lead to fostbite. Speaking of food, precut and everything and avoid foods with water (dried fruit, Power Bars) or greese (salami) which can freeze. Of the 2, take greese, not waterbased foods and store in your parka's inner pocket. Otherwise, I carry 3 feedbags: a) sweet fatty carbs (Shortbread cookies and such), b) salty whole grain carbs (crackers and such), c) peanuts and m&ms (but no raisens for extreme cold).

5) Hike within yourself. Find a pace you can keep at the entire time above treeline. Avoid going fast (sweating) and sitting (freezing your butt off). Motion is heat. Ideally, you are dressed just right so you can hike at the pace while venting with your parka hood and front zip. Be sure to have fat zipper pulls that you can work with your mitts on attached to all jacket zippers. If you can afford them, this is also where side zip pants rule. Tip: Undo the top of the zips BEFORE you put on your packs hip belt. This ensures that the bulky zipper pull is not under your hip belt and allows you to more easily adjust the side zips for ventilation.

I always bring a few extra shirts. I change into a dry one on the summit. I've actually thought I might lose my nipples a few times, but it's worth it to me to be dry on the way down. I always have a down coat in my pack, and something warm to drink. Embrace winter, it's the best time to get out. Store your nalgenes upside down in the insulated holders.

There's just one more thing...
Don't change your shirt like Hillman suggests above treeline in the wind.
Doug, tell him about the wind on Haystack last winter.

Know that when it is cold - bitterly cold, and extremely windy, things will take longer to do and be more difficult to do. Find protection if you must stop while in exposed areas. Try not to stop to do something in the full force of the wind (unless someone is taking pictures of you leaning into it at 45 degrees) :)

If you need to change your snowshoes or crampons, do it while protected, and plan that you may have to put your mitts back on or put your hands in your jacket pockets or underarms several times while completing relatively minor tasks or doing intricate things like lacing snowshoes, in order to keep them warm and limber while avoiding frostbite.

Never take your mitts, or hat off and put them down in the snow or at your feet while changing clothes or taking a break. They should always be stuffed into pockets or preferably placed between your chest and outerwear, allowing them to stay somewhat warm (and not blow away).

I think Kevin Rooney mentioned idiot cords in another thread, which are great for both 5-year olds and winter mountaineers

Finally, Embrace the wind, BE the wind (but don't get blown away) :D

My first lessons learned in winter hiking:

Blowback: If you're depending on a Camelbak as your primary water source (NOT a great idea, even if it's insulated), blow back into the tube after each sip. It still might freeze up, but it might still work. Always carry a backup Nalgene, upside down close to your body.

Frozen Foods: If you can't eat it frozen, don't pack it. How much do you value your dental work?

Multi-Tasking: I bought a little gadget, the "Sno-Claw". You can use it as a splint, snow cave or parking lot shovel, snow seat digger, sit-upon base layer, or improvised sled. Amusing, mostly, as in "wwweeeeeee" flying down the trails! Just an fun example of things that can add to a winter hike.

Gear, Redefined: Things you rely upon are tested above treeline in winter. Like hoods -- that useful accessory that protects your head from rain on a summer day can become the torture tool that threatens to throttle you in high winds. Don't plan on using a your jacket hood as your sole source of head/face protection! And space blankets -- NO WAY. It would be ripped out of your grasp in a heartbeat. Make sure your outer gear can stand up to where you might find yourself before you go there.

Snowshoes (my own personal nemisis!): All trail conditions aside, even if you think you won't need 'em, bring 'em!

To comment on the balaclava question...

I have two different ones that I use. I have a windblock balaclava for my above-treeline adventures. When I wear that with goggles I am incredibly snug. A neck gaitor helps ensure no "leaks" of cold air when standing around, but I take it off when moving for a little ventilation.

For just darned cold weather below treeline I have my regular hat, which is windblock with ear flaps, and I put a big, fuzzy, soft fleece balaclava over that for the basic protection. It results in what I find to be a great balance of ventilation and insulation.

Great thread! Thanks to all. I will start implimenting the suggestions r.e. keeping escape compass bearings readily available for all conditions.

I keep a hunk of ensolite pad in my pack on dayhikes. Makes a warmer seat when placed on top of whatever you were planning to sit on, and serves as an extra insulator pad for your feet if you're standing around in one spot cooking.

Nadine said:
I keep a hunk of ensolite pad in my pack on dayhikes. Makes a warmer seat when placed on top of whatever you were planning to sit on.
One can just sit on one's pack.

One of my daypacks has a sheet of closed-cell foam as a back sheet. I've never taken it out. (I consider it a piece of emergency gear for bivuoacing.)

Doug

Last edited: