Washington's First Snow of the Season?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we're going up Saturday or Sunday, which ever looks better.

"Winds hit 93 mph today.

It might snow by this weekend.

Neil Lareau - Observer"

Never a dull moment !

WMUR News on Sunday nights extended forecast mentioned the possibility of snow atop Washington for Tuesday night into Wednesday which was last night. Looks like it was cold enough up there but I don't think there was any precipitation that happened to be in the area last night. So I don't think it snowed yet.

rasn90.jpg

Thursday
Rain/Snow
Hi 50°F

nsn30.jpg

Thursday
Night
Chance
Snow
Lo 24°F
HIGH PEAKS OF NYS!!!!

ITS' GETTING HERE

It's Official

It snowed on the summit today. Not much, but it's a start. :D :D :D

From the Mt. Washington Observatory's website:

"05:54 PM Thu Sep 29, 2005 EDT
The summit has welcomed me back in typical fashion. Today's weather has been one of transition from what has seemed like a broken record of summer heat to one of glaze ice forming outside the windows. Today began with thick fog and temperatures around 40 degrees. As the southerly flow began to increase, not only did our winds jump into the 80 mph range, but the temperature jumped into the mid 40s. Early afternoon was the proverbial calm before the storm for the summit as the winds died down to a mere 35 mph. Only a few minutes later the winds and heavy rain returned. The wind shifted to the west and gusted over 100 mph (a peak of 109 mph so far). The colder air filtered in and the temperature dropped 6 degrees in just over 5 minutes! By late afternoon the temperature fell to 34 degrees and a rogue bolt of lightning hit the summit. As if by magic, the lightning was followed by a quick period of sleet, rain, and snow! Ah, the first signs of what the winter months will hold in store for the summit crew. Life on the summit is grand!"