Winter Peaks in Vermont and Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatnJane

Reaction score
I'm already getting excited about winter peak bagging and hope to do Vermont 4Ks as soon as winter officially arrives. Does anyone know the date and hour of arrival in winter. Do you need to start climbing after winter starts or can you start before winter starts and arrive on top after the official time?
Do the ski areas in Vermont allow people to snow shoe up the side of the gloomed trail? I notice that there are ski areas on Mansfield, Ellen + Abraham, and Killington. If they don't allow snow shoeing up, which trails are more heavily used in winter and more likely to be tramped out? Which trail up Camel's hump is more likely to be tramped out in winter?
I'll be doing Vermont peaks Dec. 21-25 and would love company.
In February and winter March I hope to do some Maine 4Ks. Companions welcome. I need all for winter except Sugarloaf. What is the official hour of start of spring?
I'm not very fast, but full of determination!
Jane Gibbons

Jane, according to the rules of the Four Thousand Footer Committee, the hike must take place entirely during winter for it to count as a winter ascent. This year, winter starts at 1:35pm on 12/21. Since this is too late in the day to start, unless you want to climb at night, you'll probably want to do your first climb of the winter on 12/22.

This is a great link for finding out when seasons changed and/or will change. Keep in mind that the times given are Universal Time. For EST, subtract 5hrs. Happy (winter) Hiking! :)

Last edited:
Winter

I know that at the end of winter you have to be back to the trailhead before the start of spring...so it stands to reason that you would have to leave the trailhead after the offical start of winter which is at:

Winter Solstice December 21 18:35 UT

I think that means 1:35 PM EST on 12/21/05

Your question about the start time has been well-answered...

I can only contribute that when I hiked Ellen, I snowshoed up to the summit along the sides of the ski trails (after losing track of the unbroken Long Trail somewhere along the way.) The upper slopes were not in use that day, but there were personnel at the top of the lift who said hello and did say anything about us hiking up the sides. Not sure what the official policy is though...

-Ivy

Camel's Hump is heavily used in all seasons and the trails from Crouching Lion and Huntington are almost always broken in. The Long trail from Wind gap is broken sometimes, but not always. If not, it could be hard to follow because Long Trail paint blazes are white. I have hiked Camel's hump many times in all seasons and I consider winter to be easiest and probably prettiest too.

Mt Mansfield has a very direct route from the Long Trail out of smuggler's notch. Hiking gets steep above lake of the clouds but fun (just be careful). You do not need to use the ski trails or parking area if you do not want to. Like on Camel's hump, you will run into alot of back country skiers (out of bounds skiers in the case of Mansfield). I personally have not climbed it to the chin from the west in winter, but know many friends who have. It is just a bit longer then summer hikes as the roads are not plowed all the way to the summer parking areas. I did hike to the forehead from Stevensville 2 winters ago (was too windy to hike the ridge comfortably).

I cannot speak for Ellen, Abe or Killington other then I know they are hiked frequently in Winter.

If you want non 4K winter peak in Vermont I highly recommend Mt Hunger and Belvadere Mt.

IMO, do not worry about fitting into the lists, if want to hike them on 12/21, do it...