pepper spray

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayward son

Reaction score
I've been reading about the Timothy Treadwell story and it occured to me that pepper spray is illegal in New York. Is this simply because it is legal only in areas where brown/grizzly bears exists? Or is there another reason? Also, I understand mace is legal in N.Y. Is there a fundamental difference on how each one works?

wayward son said:
it occured to me that pepper spray is illegal in New York
it has been legal for a private citizen to buy & carry pepper spray in new york for about 5 years now...

Clarification of New York law

Pepper spray is legal to possess in New York unless a person:

(i) is less than eighteen years of age; or
(ii) has been previously convicted in this state of a felony or any
assault; or
(iii) has been convicted of a crime outside the state of New York
which if committed in New York would constitute a felony or any assault
crime.

Penal Law section 265.20 (14)

Reactions: ken
You can usually find it at a gun store, but not the large canister size you would need for a grizzly or brown bear (they look more like a small fire extinguisher), but rather the smaller personal canisters that are slightly larger than a metered-dose inhaler

he did it!!!

thanks chip!!!
while you're there check out tent fire,that ones really funny!!!!
keep on walkin'!!! :D

Legal in NYS

Just so you know, mace or pepper spray must be purchased from a New York state licensed firearm dealer or pharmacist...go figure.

And the reason you can only purchase that certain size container..yep you guessed it. NYS law mandates the size container that can be sold.

NJ has a size limit as well. You can only carry the small size. Law Enforcment can carry the large sizes but we have to be certified to carry it.

I just went to a black bear course on how to deal with problem bears and the one thing they said does not work is pepper spray. Bears have something in the mucus of their eyes that protects their eyes. Think about it bees dont bother bears and their is a small percentage of people that can get shot with pepper spray and have no reaction. I had to get certified and part of the certification requires us to get spray in the eyes. Lets just say I hope I never have to get sprayed again. It was not fun. :(

Snowshoe.

Do you have a link on that info? Genuinely interested.

I have been taught/experienced differing information regarding pepper spray and bears. I would say bees don’t affect bears too much b/c of the bears hide (skin). Also…well I would think bears are pretty accustomed to them as well.

Bear Spray

I ran into a mother black bear with a few cubs in the Great Smoky Mountains this summer and didn't really have a problem. Before I noticed the cubs, I took a few pics of the mother until she saw the flash and bluff charged us! I saw the cubs and quickly walked backwards and she left us alone. You should not be afraid of being attacked unless you are in grizzly country or you don't use bear bags. Remember, they are more afraid of us than we are afraid of them. If you are still terrified, bring a dog with you!

snowshoe said:
their is a small percentage of people that can get shot with pepper spray and have no reaction.(

I have seen people that have no reaction to CS (tear gas), that aren't high, but I have never seen a person that has been sprayed with OC (pepper spray) not react. Even high they often will react. Not saying that it is impossible. I just have never seen anyone that doesn't react.

I did see video of grizz that was sprayed with OC and he basically just sniffed at the air. I swear to god you could almost see him thinking ummm, extra flavoring. :D

Keith

Unfortunately, as per my agency's super bright, I too had to be sprayed with pepper spray in order to carry it on the job. Something about if I had to spray someone, I could articulate why I did so b/c in my experience.... Didn't make sense to me since in order to carry a gun I didn't have to get shot with it first. We were told that there is a small percentage of the population that pepper spray will not affect mainly darker eyes and skin pigments. However, once it makes it to the upper respiratory system, it should affect nearly everyone.

Anyhow, I have witnessed pepper spray not work on a guy who was high, on steroids and in a rage. He got the s@*% sprayed out of him too...

Not sure how well it works on bears.

I smell a whole lot of bacon on this thread. :D :D Just as an FYI for the rest out there ... law enforcement OC is more potent than what a private citizen is permitted to purchase/carry (at least in NY).

Last edited:
Jaytrek57 said:
Snowshoe.

Do you have a link on that info? Genuinely interested.
Bear Spray

There is no link that I know of. I learned this while at ablack bear response training. The F&G officer said not to bother using the OC on bears because it has no effect. They said they have tried this while conditioning bears and it had no effect.