Northville Lake Placid

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailcloud

Reaction score
Does anybody have any info on hiking in the West Canada lakes wilderness area. We are looking at doing a loop around the Cedar lakes, Mud Lake, French Louie's fireplace,and back towards Pillsbury Lake. Where is the best parking access to do this loop. Is there any access via Lost pond in the Moose River recreation area or is the only access via Perkins Clearing. Any help would be appreciated.
TC

you can access the area from either place. i'm not sure if the trail via lost pond is in very good shape ... the trail from pillsbury mtn trailhead is fine ... you can turn off the trail and head towards pillsbury lake and do the loop clockwise, or continue on to cedar lake and do the loop counter-clockwise.

the "road" into the pillsbury mtn trailhead is pretty rough and rocky, i wouldn't drive a car on it, only a 4 wheel drive vehicle. you could park at the bottom of this road (where it joins the road from perkins clearing) but then you'd have a fairly long walk to the trailhead.

Can't help you with lost Pond via MRRA, I haven't been in that way, but I can say that Sled Harbor/Perkins Clearing is the usual spot to start the loop and having done that loop (as well as the entire NLP) several times, it is one of my favorite hikes in the 'daks, as one of the more quiet trips.

Which leanto

Thanks for the replies. My buddy and I are thinking about doing this loop in Nov with my pooch.. It'll will be our first official 2 nighter with puppy and was wondering can a Dodge Caravan make it past Perkins clearing to Sled harbor and if so, is there parking there? Also, if you were to do a 2 nighter where would you spend the first night ?
Thanks
TC

your caravan would be able to make it down the dirt road from perkins clearing to the road that heads up to the pillsbury mtn trailhead ... you could park there and walk up the road to the trailhead. i suppose with some careful driving you might be able to make it all the way to the trailhead with the caravan ... however the heavy rain over this weekend may further erode an already rough road to the trailhead. there are some large rocks in some steeper sections that you have to navigate over and around on this road.

W Canada lakes access

The old rd from Kenwells to Lost Pond along Otter Brook is gated but you can hike or mt bike the 7m along it to Lost Pond.
If you've access to a canoe the shortest approach (& a very scenic one) is to launch @ Wakely Dam & paddle across Cedar River Flow & up the Cedar R to the leanto. It's 5m S on NPT to dam on Cedar Lakes & start of your loop. It's beautiful in there. Enjoy !