camping around lakes/ pressi traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossgoddard

Reaction score
i'm planning a pressi traverse. looking to camp 3 nights. once at the perch, once in the middle, and once at nauman. lakes would be a pretty good place... but its closed. where can i camp for such a traverse.
or...
how should i do the traverse (not camp 3 nights, not at perch...)

Most people hike from the Perch to Naumann in one day. If you want to break it up into two days, a couple options are: 1) Hike down into Tuckerman Ravine and camp at Hermit Lake or 2) From Lakes, hike down the Dry River trail and camp at a designated backcountry site. There are a couple of sites at approx. the 4000 ft. elevation in Oakes Gulf.

As said, stopping near Lakes isn't really necessary in the middle of a Traverse. If you start from the Perch, Washington isn't that far then it's all downhill to Mizpah. If you keep moving, that bit goes by pretty quickly.

If you feel that you must camp, there's no camping allowed within 1/4 mile from the hut, nor any camping allowed above treeline. Your best bet is down the Edmands Path, just past the Stone Gate. Another option is to drop down the Davis Path or Dry River trail until just below treeline.

-dave-