Neil finishes the 46!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Congrats to Neil and son Dominick, who wrapped up the 46 yesterday, (10/1) on Rocky Peak Ridge. We started out from the New Russia Trailhead at about 8:50 AM. The elevation on this side was only around 700 feet. We walked up and down over several bumps and eventually gained the summit around 1:00. After going down and back up to Giant, we had done over 5,000' of elevation gain.

The weather was PERFECT! The sun shone all day, the winds were mild, and the temperatures warmed up nicely from a chilly start. The views of the high peaks just kept getting better and better as we approached Rocky.

Quite a few people were out today to congratulate Neil. Jim B and daughter, Antler Peak, Mass Hysteria and son, Mountain Goat, Pinpin, Rhihn, Mark and Kelly, MCorcar, Funky Freddie, (Laurie and Bonnie - lurkers), and quite a few others were encountered along the way, not to leave out Neil's family and Dominick's friends. Some came up and over Giant, and some came with us from the East, but all eventually converged at the summit for a celebration, complete with "46'er IPA" and Champagne.

Neil, it was great to finally meet you, and I hope we can do some more hikes together in the future! We loved the flute!

(AP, Thanks for the ride!)

Congrats Neil, sorry again that I couldn't make it. It was a very nice weekend and I was able to get out for a hike saturday afternoon locally.

BTW, your avatar reminds me of Kellogg's Raisin Bran, at least the sun... Two Scoops! :D

Jay

Wow!!! Sounds like a great group to have on the top of any peak, but to finish makes it even more special. Neil, Congratulations to you and your son. I hope you remember this day for the rest of your life!!!
(PS I am stilll hoping to get out and hike with you one day...)

#46 : )

Congrats to you Neil!! That's awesome that you did it with your son, you guys must be on cloud nine : ) something neither of you will ever forget. Memory makers are so special especially with your kids!
Kmac

No thanks needed Tom, it was good to finally meet you. I'm off to do some hiking in northern Vermont the next few days.

Congratulations!

Well done, Neil! I'm glad you had a beautiful weekend for a grand finish!
:)

Congrats to both Neil and Dom! I was thinking of you both while I was paddling the Jessup River. What a perfect day to do just about anything outdoors! Wardy and I are getting ready to finish up our 46 this weekend, and now it sounds like Bubba will be finishing on Marshall, and Teejay is along (I think) to get a little closer to his 46 as well. Hopefully our weather will be half as good as yours. Congrats again! slamdog

You did it with your son. Thumbs way up. Just think of the stories he will tell your grandkids.

Neil, you've got a great family and great friends, and it was a great day on a great peak. Sorry I showed up and ruined it all. ;) Seriously, hearty congrats. Your hike gave Freddy and I an excellent reason to head up there and it turned out to be the centerpiece of a terrific weekend. Sorry you had to wait and worry, but the important thing is everything turned out fine. Hopefully we'll have more time to jam some other time. Now what? The rest of the ADK Hundred Highest? Winter 46?

Matt

mcorsar said:
Now what? The rest of the ADK Hundred Highest? Winter 46?

Matt
Actually, RPR wasn't really my 46th. It was my 61st. :D
And I can't wait to go back there this winter. What a mountain! It was Dominic's idea to save it for last. I guess if we had finished on Couch, Nye or Allen there wouldn't have been such a crowd there.
So, do you guys and your guitars want to meet in the Central Dacks for some car camping and a trip or two up some of the trailless HH?

Neil said:
So, do you guys and your guitars want to meet in the Central Dacks for some car camping and a trip or two up some of the trailless HH?

YES! You can count me in, depending on my chaotic schedule, of course........

I just got off the bus, wow, so many things to say, will have to try and catch up later..... what an adventure! I met so many new people and had a lot of fun! Neil had a perfect weather day for his 46th........

Congratulations once again, Neil! It was nice to meet your family and so many other VFTT'ers. I'm going to get some pictures up on the web in the next few days and will alert everyone here and on the other site as well.... Thanks for a great time everyone!

Neil, I second Freddy's response-I'm interested, but right now I'm just trying to digest this past weekend (completing the trip reports just now helped). I'll see what money and time permits in the future.

I just wanted to add to my initial post that in addition to seeing Neil again and meeting his family, it was great meeting and seeing everyone else-Antler Peak, Mt. Goat, Black Lab, Yvon and his wife, Justin and Axana (sp?), PinPin, Dick and Joanne, Rik and Charleen, Jim B (thanks for the advice, Jim) and daughter, Tom, Laurie, Bonnie, MassHysteria and MiniMass, the Sikes. Sincere apologies if I forgot anyone-the day is a bit of a blur. I look forward to hiking with you all again in the ADKs. Also don't forget to give a shout if anyone is ever hiking in that other mountain range south of Albany-what are they called again? ;) :D

Freddy, glad you're home. I look forward to the pics!

Matt

Last edited: