Nippletop and Dial

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
2 trip reports in a row....I think this is a record for me.

After a quick hello to Neil and some of the group the night before, we headed off to bed. We were tired and wanted to get a good night sleep so we could go and do Dial and Nippletop. After discussing our plans with Harry, we decided to go Nippletop first, getting out all the elevation while we had energy. Also thinking after Nippletop it would be down hill for the most part. It made sense to us so off we went. I heard my name being called shortly after we started and ended up meeting and walking to the trail head with ADKHiker and his wife who were going over to Gothics. That was so nice. It was great to have company on this boring road.
I love that trail that leads up to Colden...the water is so pretty and the little waterfalls. Higher up we got another "Hello Sikes" from DocMcPeak and chatted with him for a very long time....(hope that didn't mess you up). It was nice to be out and see fellow VFTTers that I had never met before. I think this weekend was the most we've ever met.
We hit the junction for Elk Pass and headed over. It was pretty muddy and messy at first but was nice to walk between the 2 ponds on either side of the trail...very tranquil. I kept asking the kids if they saw any elk...they just laughed... Then you head up. And up you go. We hit the junction for Nippletop and saw 2 packs on the ground. People, nice...someone to take our picture....Adam shot off as he usually does when he gets near a summit and was asked to wait while they "put their clothes back on". Adam said he didn't understand him at first because he had a heavy accent but luckly did stop. When he got up there, only the man didn't have a shirt on yet. OK.......Beth and I were right behind and our "friends" left shortly after. We had the summit to ourselves for a bit just taking in the views. We decided that this should be wallpaper. It was so pretty...a little haze to the left but still quite stunning. Adam was getting real good with pointing out all the peaks and was looking longingly at Big Slide...our last one. He pointed to it and said, "See you in a couple weeks."
We stayed there soaking in the sun...it was much warmer and less windier than yesterday. After an hour of basking, we decided we should leave. After all, we did have Dial, Bear Den and Noonmark to get over. On our way to Dial, we heard hooting and hollering...I can only imagine what that meant. Our friends were ahead of us...maybe there's another kind of list out there....
Dial was nice too but I still liked Nippletop better. We ate a little more and then after 20 minutes headed out. Over Bear Den and heading down to the burn area, who do we pass but our couple. The girl was behind and seem to be having knee issues...she said in broken english that it was tough on the knees...no arguement there. After we passed, I heard the man ask if she was tired and she said yes. Beth made a comment to me about if they weren't busy doing other things maybe she wouldn't be...I was a little shocked. Guess my kids are growing up. I tend to deny that.
The burn area was toasty as there were no trees to protect you from the sun....We skirted the shoulder of Noonmark and got through there. This area on the down side of the Noonmark was wet and muddy...I did alot of dancing in the mud but thankfully didn't fall. Then down, down, down....wow is this a steep up if you're going the other way. Part of me was glad we didn't go up it but part was wondering if my poor knees would rebel. But they were holding out. Then we hit the road, finally! We were trying to get back to the car to call my husband before he left work but we only had 25 minutes. We put it into overdrive. There were 2 young guys that were in front of us and we passed them. I guess they were embarassed about being passed by a woman and 2 kids so they started to run past us. (they didn't know it didn't have anything to do with them...we were just in a rush) Then I told the kids, we need to check out quick and run to the car...Beth started running to go checkout for us and she passed the guys...she said they had started walking again until they heard her and then they started running again.....I wish I would have been closer. She checked out and then we quickly got to the car and ran to a phone. We missed him by 30 seconds but we tried.
We had another great day and now....I can scarcely type it...ONE LEFT. I told the kids I didn't know if I wanted company on Big Slide because I would probably cry and be embarassed. Adam said, "Mom, they'll understand." He's too much. How I love him. I cried on Nippletop. It was so beautiful and I felt so lucky to have been blessed with good health and kids who are crazy enough to want to hike every weekend with their mother. What can I say, I'm just a sap. Adam said I cry all the time, so what does it matter. It's been such a great summer and I want to thank everyone that I got to hike with this year in the Adirondacks. Glad Harry put the bug in my ear about hiking them. Glad I got to meet the Maxsons quite by accident on the Dix Range and hiked all the tough ones with silly friends. They didn't feel tough. Wish you could have joined us on the Saddleback, Basin, Haystack adventure. Can't wait to do Big Slide with some of you if you can fit it on your schedule. I guess I didn't think about the parking situation and hope that won't be a problem but right now we are thinking of finishing on October 15th on Big Slide of course...this will be our 46 and 111/115. You're welcome to join us.

Great trip report sounds like a wonderful weekend to be out.
I am planning on coming up for Big Slide. I know the kids want to go to so we will see. I need to get off on the 14th.
You guys are amazing and so much fun to hike with.
Al

OK, now I'm REALLY impressed. After doing the Haystack-Basin-Saddleback loop on Saturday, I decided to skip my original plan to climb Big Slide on Sunday. The Sikes put me to shame!!!!!!

The Sikes have been putting me to shame ever since we met a few years ago in Eustis. We were all on our quest for the NEHH. Incidentally, Beth is the youngest female finisher of the NEHH, and Adam is the big brother who helped her get there :)

Sadly, I'll be on my way to Florida in a minivan, being the good son. Go get em!

Adam: I'm guessing that you will be very near (if not on) the top of the list for the youngest male finisher of both the NEHH and 111er. Pretty darn impressive! And Beth, well, you know where you are :)

Hugs to all of you! Well done!

Hi Adam, Beth, and Dianne! It was great to meet and talk on the trail ... though if I'd known we were going to talk for hours I would have dropped my full backpack to the ground! ;)

Your kids are the best! Very nice to see that pure enthusiasm in their eyes. With my five day blitz of C/B, the Macintyres, and the Sewards I almost felt I was in your league of hiking prowess!

Have a great finish! Don't know what my plans are but if I'm around that weekend I'd love to be a part of such a momentous finish. And I look forward to doing some winter buttsliding with the kids!

What a great report. You are very luck to have your kids join you. Mine are older and have no desire to go hiking with their mom it is just not cool. Maybe by the time I reach my last they may change their mind. But if I were you, I would bring them up on your last. After all that work I wouldn’t want to be up there without them. And it’s ok to get emotional. I have gotten that way on the top of every summit so far.

I'm sorry, you must have misunderstood...my kids are definately coming....it's their last 46/111/115 also. I don't think I could stop them if I wanted to. Besides, they see me cry all the time. My son and daughter both make fun of me when I'm watching a "girly" movie. They always look over and say, "Mom, are you crying? You've seen this 10 times before!!!" I was worried about other people who might think "what's the big deal"...after all, there are tons more mountains to hike but it's the finish of one goal for us...

That's too bad about your kids not hiking with you. I know I'm very lucky that they want to come out with me as much as we do. They did ask for an occasional weekend off here and there next summer to do other things but they have already started slating what mountains we're going to do next year. Maybe they'll change as they get older. I hope not. I really enjoy being out there with them.