MOAC? Looking for Hiking Partner(s)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solitary Hiker

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone here is a member of MOAC (Maine Outdoor Adventure Club) and if so, their impressions? I've seen many threads where a trip suggestion becomes a reality with many geographically dispersed folks; however, there's something to be said for knowing who's local (VFTT - Maine Chapter?).

Warren

Hang out here awhile and get to "know" people, and you'll figure out pretty easily who's from Maine.

Like me :D and several others.

Better yet, we should have a Portland beer night sometime. Tried to organize one about a year ago but there weren't enough Mainers here. That's changed, I think.

Brian Boru, anyone?

solitary hiker,
i've debated checking into the MOAC, but it seems i always end up doing hikes w/ people off VFTT every weekend instead.
i'd be in to meet more mainer VFTT'ers. never enough people to meet and hike with!!

Just chiming in here as another Maine hiker. Beers in Portland? Let's do it sometime! :D :D :D

I'm pretty sure my Dad's a member of MOAC. He's been on a few trips with them and enjoys the company. I live in Maine but go to school in Boston, if you guys go for a few drinks lemme know I might be in Maine at the time.

Portland Beer night??

A Portland get together sounds like a great idea! :D

-MEB

I just recently joined the various MOAC listserves but I haven't done anything with them.

I tried to organize a Bangor area beer gathering but not surprisingly noone came...

so instead, I've tried to convince people to come have a beer with me on their way to Baxter but it hasn't worked out yet either.

spencer
lonely in latitude 44.8 :D

I've lived in Portland for 4 years now, and see the MOAC folks set up at ski films and the like, but have neither joined nor inquired about joining. I can't say much either way about MOAC, but I do know they (used to?) have regular club meetings as well as activities. I tend to be more of a solitary or binary hiker/skier/boater/climber, but that's just my style. I do try to make a few group appearances each year -- just to prove I'm a real person.

Please do keep me in the loop on any Maine-based events, though -- you never know.

(Fryeburg Fair this weekend, y'all.)

I have belonged to MOAC for several years but don't live in Maine. The Portland group meets the first Wednesday of the month and they often have interesting presentations, such as slide shows of trips members have taken outside of New England. I've go on several member-led events each year and have always had a fun time.

Here's another mainer but not a Portlander. We've got plenty of beer and hiking in the greater Bethel area! Any interest?
-vegematic

Vege - would this be before, during or after hitting the trails? :D

Seems like there's enough interest in a get-together. I'm open as to day of week and location (Portland would be my preference). Anyone want to start making suggestions?

Anyone know how to do a poll? (Yeah, I know, I could look it up, but I don't have a lot of time at the moment. :( )

A few suggestions:

Great Lost Bear
Brian Boru
RiRa
Gritty's
Someplace else?

How about a Friday early evening, after work until ???

Early November? Talk to me, folks.

I joined the Bangor MOAC group a few years ago, but was kind of disappointed. The trips were often limited to how many could go, and folks who knew each other were quick to fill all the slots. I never was able to connect with anyone in my 'hood, but then I'm a bit shy.Once I felt like an outsider looking in, I lost interest. IMHO, folks from VFTT are friendlier, and much easier to hook up with.

Spencer, I'm up for a beer anytime :) :)

Bear Brew? It must be time for pumpkin ale by now :D

meeting on a thursday may work out better as some folks head out on fridays for trips...(just a thought...i can go either day)
maybe nov 3 or nov 10?

Last edited:
Thursday or Friday would be fine with me and any of the places mentioned sound good! :)

-MEB

All of those places sound fine - if you want my vote, I'll go for RiRa's. Any evening of the week is fine as well (with enough advanced notice).

We are looking forward to getting together. All the places listed are great! Any night is fine with us.
Terry & Rick