Lake George

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyDave

Reaction score
I'm interested in heading up to Lake George for 3 or 4 days. Want to get in a couple 20 mile day Hikes. And check out a few tourist attractions. Haven't been to Lake George in years. I'm wondering what Campground is recommended? Basically, I'm looking for hot showers, and close vicinity to the best Hiking Trails in that area.

Roger's Rock campgrouond just north of Hague. you can drive southt o the Tongue Mountain Range or drive a bit north and west to make your own loop intinerary of the entire Pharaoh Mountain and Putnam Pond region. Endless possibilities there.

Also drive around to the East side of the lake. Spot a car or a bike at Pilot Knob parking, and then drive around to Pike Brook Road. The through hike over Black, Sleeping Beauty and Buck is about 18 miles and very nice.

There are designated campsites along the Shelving Rock Road, east side of Lake George. Take State 149 to Buttermilk Falls Road which turns into Sly Pond Road. This brings you to Shelving Rock Road near the Hog Town trailhead/parking area. These campsites are open year round--but there are no "facilities" (no outhouses, no hot showers). From this area you can access many trails.

Pat T

TCD said:
Also drive around to the East side of the lake. Spot a car or a bike at Pilot Knob parking, and then drive around to Pike Brook Road. The through hike over Black, Sleeping Beauty and Buck is about 18 miles and very nice.

If you do that, I'd also recommend a tour of some of the ponds (Black Mt. Ponds, Lapland Pond, Millman Pond, Greenland, Fishbrook).

Campgrounds

I'll check out the link WBB sent me. Apparently I'm missing the closing date of the Campground Season by just a few days. This is a spur of the monemt thing I'm doing. Got a few days off from work coming up, and decided to get away. I've been getting the "don't ride the boats", from everyone. I guess try the campsites along Shelving Rock Road. Not sure what Hike I'll do yet, because I'm going up alone. A big Loop might be easier to plan than a through Hike. I printed out this whole link, and I'm looking over evryone's advice. It looks like I'll be heading up there Wednesday morning, Oct. 12th.

Thanks!

Roger's Rock has a nice semi bushwhack up to the top of "Roger's Rock" if your interested there are some great views. The trail is now not maitained and starts at the campground itself. Maybe about a 2 & 1/2 mile round trip?

Last edited:
Hike

I've decided on my Hike. I'm going to Park on 9N and do the Tongue Mountain Range out to Montcalm Point. Than Hike along the Northwest Bay and back up to Fifth Peak. And from here back out to 9N. It looks really beautiful with constant views of Lake George. It will probably be on Thursday that I do this Hike.

Elk Lake trailhead is only about 30-40 minutes North from Lake George...this gives you access to Panther Gorge (ie. Marcy, Haystack, Skylight) and the entire Dix Range.

Dix Range

I'll have to explore the Dix Range on another trip. Already went up to Lake George for the Tongue Mountain Range for this trip. I picked the worst possible week to take off from work. Constant rain every day from morning to night. And no views at all. I have another week off in Mid-November. I'll probably head up to the White's on that vacation. Probably go for te Pemi-Loop next. With the shorter days ahead, most likely be finishing in the dark, but that's okay.