Longest rainy hikes with dogs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugahjohn

Reaction score
Revere, MA | Avatar: Descending Hi-Cannon Trail
A quick question for those who hike with their (or others') dogs: What's the longest distance you've hiked with your pooch in the rain? Given the forecast for this weekend, and the extended forecast for the coming week, I'm wondering whether or not I should take my dog out on the trail, and if so how far. Your help would be greatly appreciated: I've just gotten (back) into hiking this spring after MANY years off. Thanks!

I would imagine it would be temperature dependent. If it's in 40s and steady rain, that doesn't sound like a fun combination for man or dog.

Not sure what area you are looking at, but a rainy hike I've been on with my dogs a couple different times is to hike to either Shoal Pond or Thoreau Falls. It's generally flat, and the woods are very nice. Since you won't have any views with the clouds and rain, a long woods hike is usually a good option.

For rainy day hikes, the longest the pooch in the avatar has done with me is 18 or 19 on this hike:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7191

I had a previous dog whose longest day hike in the rain is probably also my longest day hike in the rain - at a guess - mid 20's.

Something to think about might be the difference in coat between our dogs. Mine are heavily coated, which acts as a raincoat and insulator. Even after the hike in the thread above, you could part Dugan four-leg's fur to find that he was dry only on the surface. I don't know whether a short coat provides the same protection, or if hypothermia might be an issue. Maybe carry some sort of blanket or coat for the pooch, just in case?

My dog has real short hair so usually just take him out for small walks when it's raining. I can always tell when he starts to get chilled as his white fur patches take on a pink hue. If I was going to take him out for any lenght of time in rainy/snowy weather than I would bring his jacket along as there is nothing worse then watching my dog shiver when he gets cold.

-MEB

Temperature, indeed, is an important consideration given the risk of hypothermia. Sugar's an APBT. so she has short fur. As a result, I don't think she has much in the way of insulation. What I'm planning is a hike to Owl's Head this weekend or maybe next. Views, consequently, are really not much of an issue, from what I understand. I know she can handle the mileage: We did about 18 this past Monday. My main concern is just the degree of discomfort or risk I'll be making her (and me) face doing OH not only in the rains but also with the high waters on crossings. I'll check out your trip report, Dugan. Thanks!

With all the rain in the forecast for the Whites, I'd be worried about how high the crossings on Lincoln Brook would be on the way to Owl's Head this weekend. It's raining pretty hard right now in Plymouth, NH and its not gonna stop till Sunday they're sayin. Could get sketchy for you carrying your dog. Just a thought...

Yup, Sugar's a pit--I apologize for not responding earlier Kevin (thx NH_Mtn_Hiker). The forecasts seem to be getting bleaker and bleaker as the day goes on. Given the potential for high waters, the stream crossings are a concern of mine, so much so that I had another thread going to that effect. The upshot of that thread was the possibility of the Black Pond Bushwhack. Given her short fur, though, it'd probably be wise to forego OH for the time being. She does love the water, but seeing her drift away in some mad rush of current would be a drag, to say the least. I'm trying to figure out what kind of conditions she'd be able to handle. I know she loves the snow, and despite her short fur the cold apparently doesn't seem to bother all too much, but the rains can do a number on us all.