Lost Hiker?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OCgirl

Reaction score
I just recieved this email at work (Plymouth State University). It looks like they sent it to everyone on campus. I didn't see anything on the news or on here regarding this, so I wanted to pass it along. (i was unable to add her picture to this posting, but it was in the email) If anyone wants me to forward the original email just let me know and I will do that.
Here's the email (without the photo)......

Hi -

Mary Sullivan went hiking on Wednesday 10/5 in the afternoon in the Thornton area. She has not been seen since. If you have seen her or if you have any information you can provide to the Police, please call them at the number below. We appreciate any assistance you can provide. We apologize for the email blast, but since you’re local, we hope you can help us. We are praying for her safe return.

Missing
Mary Sullivan Petitti
47 years old
Approx 5"6" 160lbs

Last seen leaving her home in Thornton Wed OCt 5th to go hiking
Her car was discovered Friday October 7th at Cannon Mtn Tram Parking Lot
Mary was last seen wearing a light colored shirt and hiking boots.

Teri DeMarco

Marlborough, MA

508-630-9972

If you have any information, please call either New Hampshire State Police or the Franconia Police (603) 823-8123

Oh my :( ...How very scary. Thank you for putting the word out. I will be saying some prayers for sure.

The story has been running on local news wires today with this information:

[start quote]
State police searching for missing woman
FRANCONIA, N.H. New Hampshire state police and Fish and Game officials are searching Franconia Notch State Park today for a woman missing since Wednesday.Fish and Game Lieutenant Todd Bogardus says Mary Sullivan Petiti (pah-TEE-tee) is 47 years old, about five feet, four inches tall with reddish brown hair and blue eyes. She was last seen three days ago. Late yesterday, her car was found in the parking lot near the Cannon Mountain tramway. Petiti is from Brockton, Massachusetts but owns a home in nearby Thornton. She was staying at her Thornton address when she went missing.
Anyone with information is asked to call state police at 846-3333. [end quote]

Calling in any solid information is possibly useful. Going out to search on your own is possibly harmful if only because potential clues can be destroyed inadvertently. Please let the professionals handle it.

We ran into "hikethe115" and her friend Bonnie at the Mooseland Grill who had just returned from hiking the NorthEast Cannonball today - they ran into the search and rescue operation that is going on. They were told that the woman is a novice hiker - our prays are with her and her family for a safe return.

Saw on the news that they found her. Sounds like she fell but nothing official on cause of death as of yet. Really too bad. Sorry for the family.

What a horrible tragedy. Life is so precious; a good thing for all of us to contemplate on every summit and each day.

OMG, that's too bad. I was just reading this to my husband as he saw the article in the newpaper about the accident. That's really sad to hear. My thoughts and prayers go our to her family.

So much we take for granted, so much and so often we assume that all will go well, all will go as planned. Doubtless, it forces a necessary pause for reflection for those of us who prefer to go it alone on the trails. My condolences to her family and friends for their loss.

From the local news, it sounds as though she was a very inexperienced hiker; went for a walk and fell. Is there any report suggesting otherwise?? Tragic for the family.

A few more details

The medical examiner is investigating the cause of death, although Bogardus said preliminary evidence suggests Mary Sullivan-Petitti took a fall and her death does not appear to be suspicious.

Mary Sullivan-Petitti had left her vacation home in the White Mountains in Thornton, N.H. on Wednesday, when according to neighbors, she said she was going hiking to enjoy the New Hampshire foliage. That was the last time anybody heard from her.

Her husband, Alan Petitti, reported his wife missing on Thursday.

A search was launched and Mary Sullivan-Petitti's car was discovered by her husband at about 5 p.m. Friday in the Cannon Mountain Tram Parking lot in Franconia Notch State Park, which is about 30 minutes from her vacation home.

Family members told CBS4 that police determined the car had only been parked there for a short time. The car was taken by police for forensic testing
CBS News

Just a general observation: I can hear about accidents and deaths on the highways near my home almost daily with little to no effect on me. However, upon hearing about such news in the Whites I am bit unnerved. The mountains are a place I go to feel alive and rejuvinated. The flip side is dark indeed. Just thinkof her husband as he now looks at these mountains what was beautifull may now be dark and haunting. I always pack with precautions so I can keep out of harm, and to help others I may pass who need help in a life and death situation. I think I am no different then so many others on this board.

Last edited:
I just received this email from a friend of Mary's:

I am a friend of Mary Sullivan Pettiti's . I found the thread about her on your website when I did a google search for more information about the investigation into her death, which is now being considered suspicious. Please thank all that have prayed for her and us.... She will be sorely missed.

If you want to express sympathy or have any information that might help, please post it here or email it to me and I will forward it. Let's please keep the posts to sympathy or information based on facts.

Thanks,

- darren

I'm sorry that I don't have any information to offer. I was in the WMNF that day and was driving home from Lincoln when I saw a helicopter flying low and surveying the area. I know it's not forest fire season so I figured they were looking for a lost hiker.

My sympathies and prayers to the family.