MacNaughton?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymama

Reaction score
I'd like to hike MacNaughton this fall, and was wondering which is the best way to go--from the Loj through Indian Pass to Scott and Wallface Ponds, OR from Upper Works toward Duck Hole?

In searching the web and this site for info, it sounds like there is a herd path from the Duck Hole side, but not from the Wallface Pond side. It seems to be a little shorter hike from Upper Works (perhaps around 13 mi RT vs. 16 mi RT?)

I saw a past post from TCD in which the herd path is described as coming off the Henderson/Preston Ponds/Duck Hole trail about 4.7 mi from Upper Works parking. Is it pretty obvious? Does anyone have a GPS waypoint for this junction?

I can use all the help I can get. Thanks!

Thanks Matt. Yes I saw that very nice description.

I'm leaning toward going that route. Even though it is a little longer, the start is less remote with more lodging/camping options nearby, which will help me get an early and well rested start on this one.

Distance is one thing, but there are other considerations.

The trail from Scott Clearing to Wallface Pond, is BAD. IMO, it is worse than the Bradley Pond trail. I do a maintenence sweep of that trail each spring, and it isn't getting better.

The route from Wallface Pond to the summit crosses a boggy area, where feet will leave a trace, that will remain for a week. If this were to become a popular route, it would raoidly turn into a huge mud puddle. For this reason, this route is not encouraged.

Eight years ago, the herd path (henderson side) was fairly obvious. I SUSPECT it is more so now.

There is a herd path on the southwestern side, but only from the end of MacNaughton brook (say from ~3200' up). Very obvious all the way to the middle bump, and then down to the western summit with the sign. It's getting to the end of the brook that is a bit of a struggle. There were basically no signs of any sustainable path all the way up the brook, after the initial path loses steam after around 1/4-1/2 mile. The it's just deer paths that all petered out within a minute or two. We investigated both sides and found it to be the same. That said, this is a great route along a beautiful brook (similar to Herbert brook) and a very easy bushwhack as far as orienteering. The brook leads you to the last pitch, and the woods were very open on that side if you can't find the upper path.

Here's a link to our trip report from last year, including a webshots link.

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3062

Thanks Doc...

Nice pictures and description of "MacNaughty." I didn't realize that there were approaches from both the NW and the SW sides, so this helps orient me a bit more.

We're going to give it a good try!

Now a NW ascent would be crazy, crazymama! I think you meant NE. There is also a third route (1st is NE-from the Wallface Ponds, 2nd is SW-from the logging camp by Preston Ponds) from the SE leaving somewhere in the vicinity behind the Wallface Lean-to on the Indian Pass trail from UW. I don't know the specifics of this route but know several who have gone via this direction.

I think you should pioneer a NW ascent via the NPT! ;)

Doc McPeak said:
from the SE leaving somewhere in the vicinity behind the Wallface Lean-to on the Indian Pass trail from UW.

Heading toward Intian Pass, a few brooks from the lean-to, there is a brook which can be followed to the southernmost peak. You will go through some REAL thick stuff in the upper third. If you take this route, wear eyeball protection.

Doc,

When we went up from the Henderson (SW) side about 3 years ago, the path was distinct. It may have deteriorated in the interim.

There was a solid path on the L bank (south bank) of the brook, which persisted even through blowdown areas, and eventually brought us to the top of the brook (that spot where the brook just "emerges" from the ground). At that point, the path crossed to the N side of the drainage, and was distinct up to the summit ridge.

TCD

Mac-N

I climbed the herd path up MacNaughton Brook (N of Hunter Pond) last week for a couple hours. The path begins where the brook intersects the Duck Hole trail - there is a ribbon tied around a large tree that marks the beginning. As far as I climbed (about 3200 feet), the herd path was very-well marked with surveyor's tape (ribbon). I assume that the path is marked all the way, but I don't know. I might be climbing MacNaughton again this weekend (Friday, actually) - depending on the weather and my wife's tolerance of my going again so soon.

See the "Trip Reports" section of www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums for a more complete description of my attempt. - ALGonquinBob

herd path data

By the way, the GPS coordinates for the beginning of the herd path, where it intersects with the Duck Hole/Cold River trail are:
N 44-07-884 and W 074-05-187 at 2005 feet altitude. The herd path is easy to spot.

When I did this hike last year (up the SW side) it was flagged with orange tape all the way up. I didn't know if it was official tape or not so we left it in place. Either way, the route is pretty straightforward, just a long slog. For a really cool descent, stay in the brook all the way down. One of the best spots was a slot where the wall on the left was at about a 15 degree angle, totally flat and we leaned our palms against it while moving our feet down on the right side. Great route, cool mountain. I'd do it again.

I gave myself a great chiropractic adjustment when ascending. I was lost in thought, not totally paying attention, took a step up and bashed my cranium on a 10" log that was spanning the gap of the stream. I heard every vertebrae in my neck (7 cervical vertebrae?) crack and got a nice lump on my head.