Passaconaway and Whiteface ?Help?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk

Reaction score
I am planning on backpacking on Passaconaway and Whiteface this weekend and I was wondering if anyone had any helpful information regarding rain drainage or anything else. The route is as follows:

Oliverian Brook Trail to
Passaconaway Cutoff to
Square Ledge Trail to
Passaconaway tentsite

Then following the Rollins Trail to Mt. Whiteface without packs.

Thanks a lot for any help!

-Tomahawk

I read a trip report from a few days ago saying Dicey Mills was pretty dry but the brook crossing down low was hard to cross. Standing water on Rollins as water bars were clogged.

That trail conditions report is here.
Note you'll be dealing with an additional week's worth of rain.

Thanks guys, I already read that report. I'm helping lead an "intro to backpacking" group and would like to hit a few of the 4Ks that I haven't been to. This sounds like a good spot as it is a relatively short hike, not too strenuous, and may offer a view or two if it ever stops raining!

As another question: I heard of a campsite near the top of Passaconaway but I checked my AMC White Mountains Guide and I don't see one. Can someone fill me in on possible sleeping areas around there? Thanks a lot.

-Tomahawk

The Camp Rich shelter was torn down (near jct of Dicey Mill and Rollins.) There are some open spaces you can camp near the old site. I can't remember if there's a legal camping spot right near the summit. The WOC would know better about this http://www.wodc.org/

Thanks a lot, looks like there is no prohibition on camping in the old campsites. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and write an interesting trail report! Rain can't stop the fun!

-Tomahawk