Winter Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alistair,

On very cold winter backpacking trips the problem with boots is they can freeze overnight and be really cold to almost useless the next morning. Double boots eliminate the problem as the plastic shell stays out with no worries and the inner liner goes in your sleeping bag. Some people will just put their leather boots in a plastic bag, in their sleeping bag, so they stay wet...but warm. I don't like the idea of something very wet and dirty inside my sleeping bag.

After having a outragiously horrible morning last winter at tucks, wearing frozen, insulated leather boots (it was hovering around 0 degrees) i got plastics. haven't used them much for backpacking yet, but am looking forward to not feeling like my toes and heel are going to fall off!!

although. if its not that cold, your boots should be ok, i have survived many years of using regular insultated boots on overnighters. but....if the temp is expected to drop way down........mornings can be uncomfortable or dangerious.

quite a few use the "bugabooto" by columbia for winter hiking (rated -25 degrees) i bought something a step up by columbia called "excelerator titanium" (it was rated to -40) but they dont make that one anymore (and i never believed the minus 40 rating anyway) but it is a nice boot - - my friend found something new in the titanium series called ice dragon (or ice crusher, or something like that) and he really likes it - - my columbia boots fit all my different "tubbs" snowshoes nicely and my kahtoola crampons - they also fit my other crampons too, cant remember which brand (they are at my place upstste now) but they were long spiked (kind of overkill for hiking, the kahtoolas are perfect for winter hiking in the adk's and whites).