Anyone use igloos or....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grasshopper said:
I just saw that icebox tool and wondered how much does it weigh?(GD)

Checked the website. It's just shy of 5 lbs. Lighter than all but the smallest single wall winter tents.

FWIW, in his book "The Handbook of Mountaineering," Craig Connally makes a really strong case for using this tool as a winter shelter builder.

mcorsar said:
Has anyone checked out the photos? This one is interesting...

He has a few of my pictures in with his photos, including this:

http://www.grandshelters.com/images/pete-2.jpg

I scared the little girl across the street when I cut the face and put a Coleman Lantern in the igloo. At least I wasn't standing on the top with an axe...hmmmmm maybe a new avatar this winter....

I spent 5 days on Mt. Rainier in April in a snow cave that two of us dug out in about three hours. This served as our camp for the entire time, and at one point we spent 24 hours in it waiting out a storm that literally tore a nearby tent apart.
This was by far the most comfortable winter camping experience I've ever had - it was warm and solid, and we spend some idle time carving out shelves for gear or whatever else we needed to organize. As mentioned before, condensation is an issue, but that's about it other than making sure the opening remains clear.
I no longer carry a tent in the winter - just a bivy and and a collapsible shovel.

Jacob

the quinzhee i built never collapsed,it melted right down to egg shell thickness. i kept hoggin out the inside as it shrunk inward during the time it was up,the snow i pulled out i put right back on top of it. :D
plus i had wall thickness anywhere from about 1 foot to 4 feet thick at one point during a massive snow storm.

Pete_Hickey said:
It very much depends on the shape you have... That the walls are able to support the ceiling. That yours had a good shape and lasted, does not imply that someone else's will do the same.
A mistake I've seen people make is attempting to force "shape" the quinzee snow pile. You MUST let the loose snow fall into its own natural slope. Throw loose snow at the peak, and allow it to slide down by itself to the base. It will form the strongest structure that way. Do not remove/shovel what has fallen to the base back up toward the top. You want the snow crystals to interlock by their own geometry. Patting it down or otherwise unnaturally altering the shape it wants to take will result in a weaker structure. Maintain an arched internal shape when you carve it out, do not make a flat ceiling.

I made a quinzee for Boy Scout training one early January. That year we did not get an extensive winter thaw. With a little periodic maintenance it was useable until late March.

Last edited:
Wow thanks...so I guess it is true....this is certianly the way to go...i really have to get out more int he winter....this will be the way..

thanks for all the GREAT responses.

M

Dick,
Here's info on building a
HTML:
http://www.call-wild.com/quinzee.html
And here's info on
HTML:
http://home.no.net/gedra/igloo_bg.htm

There is a guy who builds a really amazing quinzee at Monadnock State Park every year. Complete with a wooden door with a window,a skylite,and Christmas lights!

Never had the patience to build a quinzee while on a trail. Sometimes I will build a three sided shelter from snow blocks,using my avalanche shovel. A few years ago,on a ridge near East Pond,I built one complete with seating, a kitchen shelf,and a fire pit. Pretty comfy accomodations for cooking on a cold night
I'm just gonna have to take the time to build a real shelter this year.

Pete_Hickey said:
It very much depends on the shape you have... That the walls are able to support the ceiling. That yours had a good shape and lasted, does not imply that someone else's will do the same.
very true!!
shape the inside ceiling like an egg and you should be good to go. most definately,DON'T make it flat. :D

I read all about quinzee building last Winter and gave it a try in my backyard. We had gotten about 10" or so of good "snowball" snow, on top of 4-5" of older stuff w/a thin crust. I went out in the backyard and cleared a circle maybe 15-18' in diameter, and then started filling it in from the center. I'd throw a shovelful on top, then another, over and over. Eventually I ended up with a mound maybe 8-9' high and 15-18' in diameter. The waiting period is called sintering - I waited maybe 90 minutes or so.

I decided on an entrance side, headed downhill, as my yard slopes, and started digging. Once I got to where my head and torso were in my hole I started getting pretty freaked out. I mean, I had nine feet of snow over my head.....it was weird. I eventually had my fiancee come out and watch me as I was too afraid of having it collapse on me. While I knew this wasn't rational, that it wouldn't, couldn't come down on me, it was an unsettling feeling.

I had poked sticks that were 18" or so long into every side of my pile of snow. It looked like an albino hedgehog. As I dug out I would keep a close watch for sticks, and used them to guide my interior walls. I eventually ended up with a living space large enough to accomodate 2 large adults and their gear. You couldn't stand, but you could sit or kneel comfortably. I used a candle to glaze the interior, poked a hole in the roof for ventilation, and added an entrance tunnel of sorts.

It was a really cool thing to do, but I got hot as hell. While shovelling, while digging, sweating was inevitable. The only way I'd rely on one while in the woods would be if I had another shelter nearby with dry clothes, and optimally, a nice fire. It was very quiet - we had a nasty storm that night with 20-30mph winds and you could barely hear it inside, if at all. Warm too. It's said that it can be -40 out and a quinzee will stay close to 30F. If you have even a tiny bit of kid in you make one - they're a helluva lot of fun.

Remix said:
What does LNT say about building an igloo and leaving it for the next weekend? What about rangers? Just curious...

I guess it depends on the location. I once spoke with a ranger about it, and he asked me to break it down when I left. I asked if that's what the law said, and he said, "No, I'm just asking you." We discussed for a while, and it did not seem to be covered by any regulations.

For me, I'd have absolutely zero qualms leaving either an igloo or a quinzee standing upon departure......I mean, it's snow. Also, I think I'd be fairly jazzed if I stumbled across a working shelter while on the trail, especially one of this type, that wouldn't leave a trace once it warmed up. I think maybe your only responsibility if you left one somewhere would be to poke some large sticks out of the top so nobody would inadvertently fall into it and hurt themselves.

Remix said:
What does LNT say about building an igloo and leaving it for the next weekend? What about rangers? Just curious...

All I can say is when the weather warms you arent leaving any trace..right?

What if you build a snow cave out of an existing drift, the drift was already there all you did was dig out the inside..whats really the difference is you gathered snow yourself to build one.

I agree with another poster that it would be GREAT to come upon a usable shelter while winter hiking I think most would appreciate it.

Eh...theres always contreversy..

M

FWIW,The folks at Monadnock will let other campers use the quinzee,after he's done using it.

Of course,there's no Xmas lights on it then. :D

Trekkin said:
.....I mean, it's snow

I don't know... all that compacted snow could be the start of a glacier... next thing you know global warming is reversed and a new ice age is upon us. Wonder what the LNT folks would say then?!?!? :D