Jefferson SAR in progress

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breeze

Reaction score
Briefly, there is a SAR centered on Jefferson, was still in progress this afternoon at 1700. First F&G officer on Mt Washington Auto Road at about 1030 to provide radio support, still on station at 1700hrs.

Sketchy details, a party expected down on Wednesday 10/19 has been reported missing.

While the reports for Higher Summits declare "full winter" conditions, read carefully between the lines for slush and under- running water on S facing elevations receiving substantial solar gain, flaking ice over warm rock, various boilerplate, grapel, and heavy rime formation, as well as snow drifts, 7 to 12+ feet in depth. It looks like "full winter" but looks are as decieving in October as they are in April and May.

Auto Road travel above treeline is limited, no private cars. There was Hiker Shuttle service from the summit for 1 trip down today. No promises for tomorrow.

Please be mindful if you are planning a late October trip in the Northern Presi's.

If all available SAR crews are out all night tonight, that stretches resources for the weekend.

Breeze.

The incident has concluded successfully:

[start quote]
Missing pair OK after night on Mt. Jefferson

Two Massachusetts brothers are safe and unharmed after spending Thursday night on Mount Jefferson.

Ronald Moura, 46, and brother Russell, 42, both of New Bedford, Mass., were found about 3 p.m. yesterday by rescuers. They did not need any medical attention.

N.H. Department of Fish and Game Lt. Douglas Gralenski said the pair had gone on a day hike Thursday and were due home about 9 p.m. When they didn’t show, Ronald Moura’s girlfriend called New Hampshire officials.

Rescuers found the Geo Tracker the brothers were driving parked off Jefferson Notch Road between Carroll and Jefferson and began the search from there Thursday night.

“We didn’t have any idea what their plan was,” Gralenski said.

Because of recent inclement weather — temperatures down into the teens and winds upwards of 60 mph — “we had to assume the worse as far as them spending the night in the woods.”

About a dozen Fish and Game officers, along with members from Androscoggin Search and Rescue, the Appalachian Mountain Club, the U.S. Forest Service, the N.H. State Police helicopter and other rescuers combed Mount Jefferson.

Gralenski said Russell Moura had soaked one of his feet by accident, causing the pair to seek shelter in Jefferson Ravine Thursday night. They had also become disoriented on the mountain, he said.

“They were smart enough and well-equipped enough to get out of the wind and start a fire,” he said. Yesterday morning, the brothers got their bearings and made their way to Six Husbands Trail and were hiking out on the Great Gulf Trail when they met up with rescuers in the afternoon. [end quote]

Waumbek said:
The incident has concluded successfully:

“They were smart enough and well-equipped enough to get out of the wind and start a fire,” he said. Yesterday morning, the brothers got their bearings and made their way to Six Husbands Trail and were hiking out on the Great Gulf Trail when they met up with rescuers in the afternoon.
Hooooorrrraaaaaayyyy for prepared hikers! It's nice when a story of overdue hikers turns into a textbook example of how to stay safe in the woods and make your way out the next morning. Kudos to these guys for doing it right.

Smitty

Glad they are safe.

Nice to hear they made it out...six Husbands must be quite an escape route.
I would like to add that I always tell someone home a range of hours where they should expect to hear from me and I also leave a map with my planned route for the day.

I think a completely prepared hiker would have left a detailed itinerary with a responsible person. I am glad to see that they made it out alive, and I would love to hear what they brought for emergency gear, as well as how their experience was staying out unexpectedly in inclimate weather.

-percious

I think a completely prepared hiker would have left a detailed itinerary with a responsible person.

I had the same reaction but while the comment is perfectly true, in real life (tm), I doubt I've ever been completely prepared, though I try every time at a level others sometimes regard as obsessive-compulsive. :)

After an unexpected night in the woods, which do you dread the most? Running into a SAR crew looking for you, or having to explain to your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/partner why you spent the night in the woods?

MadRiver said:
After an unexpected night in the woods, which do you dread the most? Running into a SAR crew looking for you, or having to explain to your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/partner why you spent the night in the woods?
My girlfriend (who is a hiker) once called (I don't remember who) because I did not return to the TH in time. I would be mighty embarassed if I ran into SAR and they were looking for me -- and I didn't know it because I wasn't lost.

-Dr. Wu

I'm glad they made out OK, but the comment by Percious is right on the money. It goes back to the Aaron Ralston thing. I always leave info on where I'm going when I go alone. It saves much time and saves risk to SAR folks (like me).

MadRiver said:

MichaelJ said:
Being written up by Mohamed in the next issue of Appalachia.

No - I think being dissected here would be the dread :D

Article about rescue

this may change some opinions posted

Bay State pair walks out after night on Mt. Jefferson

By Edith Tucker
PINKHAM’S GRANT — Two brothers, both middle-aged Bay State men, spent Thursday night somewhere in Jefferson Ravine on the east side of Mt. Jefferson.
Ronald Moura, 45, and his brother, Russell Moura, 42, both of New Bedford, Mass., huddled by a fire to survive a harrowing night without a tent or sleeping bags in temperatures that dropped to 20 degrees with 60 m.p.h. winds and then bushwhacked down the icy headwall of the Great Gulf in the Great Gulf Wilderness before walking out to within about a mile of Route 16, where would-be rescuers came across them on Friday shortly after 3 p.m. on the Great Gulf Trail.
Although cold, wet, and bedraggled-looking, the two brothers were in reasonably good shape after their night out, according to Lt. Doug Gralenski of the state Fish and Game Department.
He said that he first learned that a couple of dayhikers might be in trouble when Ronald’s girlfriend telephoned him around midnight on Thursday night. Since her boyfriend had not left his itinerary with her, other than a vague notion that he was headed to northern New Hampshire, there was nothing that Lt. Gralenski could do until daybreak, he explained.
He then ordered that the trailheads be checked, and the Mouras’ vehicle was found parked at the Caps Ridge parking lot at the height of land on the Jefferson Notch Road, at an elevation of 3,000 feet on the west side of the Presidential Range.
Concerned for the pair’s well-being, Lt. Gralenski said he called out search and rescue crews, including the Fish and Game Department’s own Advanced Rescue crew, Mike Pelchat and Diane Holmes of the state Parks Department, Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue (AVSAR), the Appalachian Mountain Club, and SOLO — a total of about 36 people, including two dozen technical search and rescue team members and a dozen nontechnical ones.
They were asked to canvass the trail system, working their way out from the trails on Mt. Jefferson.
“We had little to go on,” Lt. Gralenski said.
As the first reports came in that no one had yet been found, the law enforcement officer spread the net wider.
By Friday afternoon, Conservation Officer Wayne Saunders of the state Fish and Game Department and two others were detailed to go up the Great Gulf Trail on the east side of the Presidential Range, and some AVSAR members were asked to walk up the Auto Road, keeping their eye out for any sign of movement.
What happened
After the two “lost” men were intercepted, they told C.O. Saunders that they had originally headed up the Caps Ridge Trail at about 8 a.m. in clear sunny weather on Thursday and reached the summit. After they celebrated, however, they said they realized that they had on inadequate footwear to safely come down the icy trail and decided they would be more comfortable coming down what they hoped would be a less slippery route. The two men thought they were heading north to The Link but, confused and ultimately disoriented, they walked east, apparently went off-trail, and headed down the Jefferson Ravine toward the Route 16 side of the mountain.
Russell stepped into a watery quagmire at one point and stepped out of one of his boots, giving him “some serious issues,” Lt. Gralenski said.
Russell, who works for a book printing company, recalled what happened on Saturday in a face-to-face interview with reporter Brian Boyd of the Standard-Times of New Bedford. He said he saw a stream and thought the bottom would be firm.
“When I stepped down, my foot sunk in the mud,” he explained. “I lifted up my boot. It filled with water, and that water was not warm water.”
In the freezing temperatures, Russell was in danger of losing his foot to frostbite, said his older brother, who is a nurse.
“When his foot got wet, that was obviously a serious situation,” Ronald said. “That was the low point. Anytime you get wet in those kind of conditions, it’s not a good thing.”
The two men tried to start a fire, but had no success. Russell told the Standard-Times reporter that he placed his left foot against his brother’s bare stomach, under his clothing, to keep it warm.
He put a dry sock on his foot, placed a plastic bag over it and put his boot back on. The two brothers continued walking downhill to generate body heat.
“I didn't know if we were going freeze to death,” Russell said. “If we didn't start a fire, we weren't going to make it.”
When they dropped below treeline, where the trees topped out at 15 to 20 feet, they were finally able to use their matches to light a fire, which they told the Standard-Times reporter, allowed them to survive the cold night under a bright three-quarters moon that lighted the sky.
“You think you have control over everything, and it can go bad real quick,” Ronald told the Massachusetts reporter. “It does show having some knowledge of how to navigate with a map and basic survival instincts goes a long way.”
The two men got moving again at sunrise and bushwhacked down the Great Gully headwall, unsure of where they were, until they ran into members of the search party on the Great Gulf Trail who were looking for them. They had probably walked a little over six miles.
Although the snow atop Mt. Washington was deep, the accumulation was negligible on the sides of Mt. Jefferson, Lt. Gralenski said.
“They were pretty lucky,” Lt. Gralenski said. “They did some things right; they did some things wrong. They had food, water, and matches with them, but when they were located they had on all the additional clothing they had with them.”
Lt. Gralenski said that he was in touch with the two men’s families and loved ones, especially as he sought clues to what they might do in an emergency situation.
Bill Arnold of Randolph, an experienced AVSAR member, drove Russell via Route 2 back to his vehicle, which was parked at the Caps parking lot. Neither of the two brothers felt the need to be checked out at a local hospital.
Russell told the volunteer driver that the only immediate ill effect he was suffering from was “burning” eyes, possibly from the smokey fire, although more likely from facing into the wind.
Mr. Arnold said the two men were dressed in Polartec fleece jackets and waterproof shells, suitable for September or early fall weather, but not for the mid-winter conditions that now prevail.
The two men had had the forethought on Friday morning, Mr. Arnold said, to consolidate their gear into one pack before starting their second day of hiking, leaving one empty backpack behind.
For the most part, Russell told the Standard-Times reporter, they had managed the situation well. Still, as a regular hiker and rock climber, he considered this experience his toughest.
"I don't know if I was afraid,” he said. “I certainly was seriously concerned. It was probably the most serious event I’ve ever been involved in with my outdoor activities.”
Russell told the reporter on Saturday night that he was still experiencing numbness in his foot, but it is improving. He said the experience has given him some perspective on life.
“You appreciate things a lot more,” Russell said. “It was horrifying, to say the very least. For a while there, it wasn’t good.”

Reactions: arm
sounds like quite the night and hike out. a little confusion here..sounds like they went partway down jefferson ravine. then it says they hiked down 'great gulf' or great gully' headwall. why would they go over to the great gulf headwall and hike down that if they were in jefferson ravine? i think there are some misprints here.

Dreaded Ham Radio Comment

I've been late a couple of times. The folks at home have a low tolerance for lateness and when they freak out the first thing they think of is calling in the SAR. It really is embarassing to have to call off the troops just 15 minutes later (fortunately they have never actually even made it to the trailhead so the embarrassment was not quite complete; I was just a litle late).

So that is why I bothered to get a technician's license and a little ham radio, which stays OFF 99.9999% of the time but is always in the pack with an extra battery set. Last time I was out I confirmed that it gets the ranger's frequency too, so I could listen in if needed. But more importantly, I could get a message out regarding myself or anybody else I ran into who needed help. And it can get the word out where no cell phone will work.

I've always thought someone should develop a protocol for the commecial GMRS and FRS radios they sell at Best Buy and Staples, like choose channel 9 with 0 for the coding. The range of those little radios is poor, but if SAR is nearby and everyone is on the same frequency, it would certainly boost the odds.

But most of all, I'm glad to hear that everybody was safe and sound.

whitelief said:
I've always thought someone should develop a protocol for the commecial GMRS and FRS radios they sell at Best Buy and Staples, like choose channel 9 with 0 for the coding.

I've always thought the same thing. Poor range is better than no range. Newer models go up to 6 miles line of sight, better than nothing. Some ski resorts now have their ski patrols on posted channels.

-Shayne