Opinions on Karhu "sliding snowshoes"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorealChickadee

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used these sliding snowshoes made by Karhu? This is the link to the ones sold under Bean's name. 120 cm or 130 cm lengths

I do a lot of winter xc skiing and or snowshoeing in the southern Adirondacks and had been looking to update my 25 year old skiis because they are so darn hard to make sharp turns with in deep snow. I updated my son to backcountry skiis a couple of years ago and the newer shorter length allows him to make turns that I just can't make when we're in deep snow or the trees are too close. I'm eating snow while he's disappearing.

So, any opinions out there?

interesting idea..

Yes, I've noticed them...I would like to have a look at them.
The fact they have a universal binding arrangement would resolve the issue of having to bring speciality boots just for the skis..which I have done in the past.
In nice conditions,, I like to snowshoe with mukluks and it would be nice to be able to slip from one to the other depending on terrain.
I think I would still use them primarily as an approach ski and then use snowshoes on the difficult stuff.
As I am not a good skier, I am thinking a ski with built in "skins" might extend their versatility for me. I'm also curious how short they were (inches)... for me the shorter would be better.

A friend of mine ordered them and sent them back... don't think he actually used them, however. He said they didn't fit his hiking boots (despite being advertised as having the universal binding.) Overall, he was not impressed with them... I'll have to check to see what his other concerns were.

- Ivy

Edited to add: I talked to my friend and he did return them before using them due two problems:

1 -- With two different size 9.5 winter boots the buckles fell to the side of the foot and created nasty pressure points.
2-- The pivot point on the binding is behind the front of the tow plate and this required some flex in the boot toe area. With stiff winter boots this merely squeezed the toes and increased pressure points.

Last edited:
What do you want to do with them? As skis, they make adequate snowshoes. As snowshoes, they make barely adequate skis. They don't turn or glide well, and they don't grip as well as a snowshoe. Personally, I don't see any reason to use them.

-dave-

Sweepers

They are sometimes called sweepers. I used them on and off after buying them used at LLs in Concord, NH at least three years ago. On their longest trek I took them up the Sawyer Pond Road into Sawyer Pond and back out. I found them amusing, but not at all endearing. I gave them away that next summer. They were like fast snowshoes with the embedded mohair strips, but I prefer carrying my Sherpas and using my BC XCs for faster travel in and the Sherps for the more serious ups. I vote you save your money.

I see that Berwin Backcountry Binding a similar style binding, makes a point to say not for use with non flexible footwear .
I found that at www.akers-ski.com
There is another binding that is or was used by the Canadian military for a universal fit to their skis.
Doing a search at www.snowshoemag.com should turn up a nice photo of them, though I can't think of the location just now.
I think the Karhu (LL Bean) snowshoe ski looked a little tempting because they have metal edges and my xc skis don't...still I don't know if that kind of binding or binding plate would break easily.
I've found that, for me, carrying skis through forested trails tend to be a real pain in the winter as they get hung up in the trees overhead. so I think you would be motivated either to wear them or find some open country to try them...Like the Prezies?

Agree

I agree that trees and skis don't agree when carried. I have even used the holes in the tips to use a pulling lanyard and dragged the skis along. That is not very satisfactory either. Two years ago "Akers" set me up with some bushwhacking skis with a plastic "universal" binding which fit my Sorels. That way I could use really warm boots for snowshoeing and mucking around in the woods on skis. The bindings also fit my Koflacs which meant I was able to use crampons, snowshoes, and skis with the same boots. Control on the skis was pretty poor, and the bindings pulled out of the skis after a number of outings. I may try the combo again, but with skis that will hold the binding screws better. Being that I weigh in at around 275 fully winter attired, my bindings need to be really strong. ;)

Well, they're definitely not getting rave reviews.

Looks like I should just update to some BC XC skis.

The lack of turning ease is a big negative for me. I'm still on my very long skinny skis and I want something more maneuverable for the ADks. My old skis are fine on groomed trails or where others have laid track before but they're so darned long that getting around brush and trees is an issue. We frequently go the Old Forge, Inlet area for the day. It's an easy day trip for me and I get out on my summer trails. Most of the trails we choose are rolling. My snowshoes can go anywhere but the skis are more fun. The sliding snowshoes sounded like a good idea becasue then I can wear my Sorels but if they don't do a good job, then they're not wrth it. I wouldn't mind trying them out someday just to see what they're like but I'm not ging to buy them without a better endorsement.

Thanks guys.

Good , I can cross them off my list, looked to good to be true. Boreal Chickadee, you said you ski around inlet , old forge, doesn't that area get snomobled to death, or are there places to go? I am familar with the Moose River Area, but not in the winter.

Hey Chickadee,

After a winter ascent of Marcy last year, I have been pondering the ascent/descent gear question much in the same vein as you.

I wanted a piece of gear that would float like a snowshoe, grip well on the uphills, be short enough to maneuver through the scrub if necessary, glide on the downhills, turn quickly and easily on the trails down, and ,if possible, work with normal mountaineering boots or even heavy winter boots.

I thought about the Karhu Meta Sweepers, but have heard too many negative reviews to even consider picking up a pair.

Here's what I did find, though: Kong Grimpers. They're just about everything I could want, except too stinkin expensive for me right now. They work with boots that are compatible with step-in crampons and have skins available for them too. If I had the money, they'd be in my kit for this winter.

Meta Sweeper

Hi!

I work for an outfitter and we sell these little beauties! I will never stop being amazed at their effectiveness! Climb, ski, stomp! They do it all, but not as well as the individual tools that they mimic.

The embeded "bear fur" climbing skin will not provide snowshoe-like traciton nor will the unit give the outright performance of a full on backcountry ski. However, within the confines of realistic expectation, they are truly remarkable. Up and down the hills with these is a riot of a good time!

Don't abandon the need for a pair of snowshoes, a pair of crampons and a pair of real bc skis. For more serious pursuits, you'll still need them along with good skills, of course.

Hope that helps

N'E