Catskills Campgrounds still open?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kybeaver

Reaction score
I was looking online and it seemed all of the campgrounds are closed by Columbus Day. Are there any campgrounds in the Catskills still open?

Thanks

There is another post about catskill campgrounds earlier in the week. Seems only the BearSpring Campground (state) in the western cats is open to 12/20. There are several private ones also open later. Lots of lean-tos and free camping areas in all areas.

From a recent post here by Mark Schaefer:

NY State DEC Campgrounds:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/do/schdl.html

As mentioned by Mudhook above, there are private ones open but it appears all the state ones are now officially closed as North/South lake closes today (oct 23)

There is various campsites in different parts of the catskills..
Phoenicia has a couple around it, Acra/Windham has others, there is one near palenville I believe. Just do a google search and you'll find them.

There are also free sites in Sundown off Peekamoose road, I'm not sure if they officially close in winter but they are there.

jay

Jay H said:
There are also free sites in Sundown off Peekamoose road, I'm not sure if they officially close in winter but they are there.
Can anyone suggest other free drive-to campsites in the Catskills?

I don't know of any other campsites like the ones by Sundown that are run by the DEC. I think camping at closed DEC campgrounds like say at Devil's Tombstone is technically illegal though you could probably get away with stealth camping in places like Woodland Valley...

http://www.catskillregiontoday.com/Catskill/things_places_campsites.asp

That is a (one) list of private campgrounds in the catskills area.

The only two private campgrounds that I've stayed in was
Black Bear campground in Phoenicia (where the owner went away, pipes froze and we couldn't use the bathroom :( or Shower ) and Acra's Lynch's Pot-o-Gold where we held the Escape the Escarpment hike.. That was a nice place and convienient for the Escarpment hike.

Roy, many leantos are very close to the road: McKenley Hollow, the one on Panther Mtn, Batavia Kill is like a mile in. Elm Ridge, etc. etc. As close to car camping and they are free. There are also a few legal sites that are an easy walk in, like the one to Ashoken HP.

Jay

Alder Lake and Big Pond have sites reached by boat or by walking, or you can stay in the parking lots, lots of hunters the first week or so. Kelly Hlw. has camping and an outhouse within a couple minutes walk. The Millbrook lean-to is only 1/4 from the road. There are also several sites along the Big Indian - claryville rd. between the Slide and Bisquit PA's, with outhouses. Hunterfield Mt. has roads all over hunters camp on, as well as a lean-to on top. people camp along the rd. to bear pen. There is another lean-to a short walk from Turk Hlw in Halcott, if its still there. Yeah, lots of free camping, just look around.

Another informal primitive campsite area is near Colgate Lake at the first of three parking areas along County Route 78 east from East Jewett (shown on NYNJTC map #41). I have never camped there, but I have seen tents of hunters and car campers many times. There is a port-a-john north of the road at the 2nd parking area, I don't know if it stays all winter. Also at the trailhead, 3rd parking area, there is a large meadow where it should be possible to camp.

The standard DEC camping rules in the Catskills would apply: Camping is permitted on state owned land below 3,500 feet in elevation and more than 150 feet from any structure, water source, stream, lake, road or trail.

Mark, I've been by there, didn't know that was an informal campsite... It is strange that the DEC has so much parking over there for a somewhat obscure trail. Although I bet in the summer, the swimming there is nice. I talked to somebody who lives on that street when I went and bushwacked to West Stoppel Pt there and he mentioned the swimming hole on Colgate Lake across from one of the parking areas.

That meadow where the trailhead actually is a pretty nice spot to camp, a good view of the Escarpment trail from the SW side.

Jay