NY DEC Signs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trailhead

Reaction score
I know I saw a post on this one time but I can't find in the archives. Does anyone know the specifications for the DEC hiking signs? Not the disks but the wooden "trail to" ones that give the trail and mileage.

I would greatly appreciate it. Looking for the size and the color paint, stain used,typeface font, etc. Thanks in advance.

I dont know the demensions off hand , but i'll be sure to measure it the next time i hit the trails. I'm guessing you wish to make your own?

Lest see... I have a couple signs right here next to me. Lets see... This one says STREET MOUNTAIN... uhhh so does the next one. Next is NYE. I have 11/26th of the alphabet

They are on pine, which is stained brown. I know I have seen them painted brown as well. These signs are 5.5"x 16-1/8". That size is standard for all the DEC signs on the summits of the 'trailless' peaks. There is, however, quite a range in the size of the signs.

The lettering is 1-11/16 inch high by 1-5/16 inch wide (letter E). The letters appear to be cut from a bit of plastic tape, applied, and the whold thing varnished (or shellac). I'm sure the yellow has a name/number.

The font? Ain't no serrifs. It is as block/square as possible. Every line has the same thickness.. IE, not thinner on the diagnals.

I'm somewhat certain that there is one signmaker for the DEC. It could be a way of acheiving consistincy without trying.

Last edited:
I do very much want to make my own. I was almost positive there was a website with the exact specs but I can't find it now. I may call the DEC office in Northville. I think that's where they make the signs. Maybe they'll even lend me some paint...