cog railway open in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
anyone hear how this worked out for them? was it a big success? did they make money? is it going to be open this winter, and many more, or just on another year trial basis to drum up interest? any information is welcome.

I heard the whistle and saw the smoke on saturday. I guess they're going 1/3 the way up.
It doesn't look like a bad $ deal, but may be too slow to draw a real following.

Sunday is the deal if you're local;
Sunday Local Special
$15.00 (12:00 to 3:00 - residents of Coos, Carroll, Grafton, Essex, Caledonia and Oxford counties-must present a valid drivers license) -- (Not valid during holiday periods & may not be combined with any other offers)

Last edited:
hikerfast said:
im hoping it works out so i can always be able to climb up the ammo side
You've always been able to climb from the Ammo side. It just involved a bit more walking or skiing. :)

-dave-

yea - I got into a pissing contest with someone about this (he was telling me if your a hiker - hike the 10 miles down base road) last year - think it was the afka bob guy

anyway -
its just nice when you want to get out of the woods and above treeline quick instead of the long arse approach - lately it seems there is never enough time - drive 4++ hours up late friday - climb and before you know it - time to drive home 4++ hours on sunday -

last year they went thu this whole damn thing - when the ammo lot wasn't plowed - they were letting you park there (cog) - then they weren't, then they were, then they weren't. then you could but not overnight - then I heard a hiker (how did they know it was a hiker????) went to the toilet in the parking lot (number 2) and that ticked them off - can't blame them.

I think by the end of winter you could park there for 5 bucks a day or something

A couple of years ago when Base rd was closed I took the Mt Clinton road which was then divided on each side, one side for X-C skiing and the other side for driving (for Cog employees.) It was pretty icy but I made it OK. You just had to make sure you got out early or told someone at the Cog so you wouldn't get locked in at the gate. From their website they're still advertising the ski-train so it looks like Base rd will be open again.

An engineer from Wales who is working at the Coig is living at the campground we go to. He has been here all year working on converting one of the engines to "green" fuel so that the skiers will not have to ski on the coal bits that are shot out of the smoke stack. They hope to have it running in time for this years ski season.

That black plume behind the ridge is the Cog at about 9:30 this past Saturday. I'd be interested to see if they could "green" what they burn, as the soot is the least pleasant part of that ride.
f1acbad5.jpg