Fixing Petzl Tikka..

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Has anybody dealt with Petzl and replacing a broken LED cover on my 3 LED Petzl Tikka? It fell off a nail at the Lost Clove leanto in the Catskills a few weeks ago, breaking the lens cover, although the headlamp still works fine.

Has anybody dealt with Petzl before, I just sent them some email, waiting to see if I get a reply. Otherwise, anybody have a good idea on how to fix it myself? For the most part, my tikka is used as a emergency light or camp light anyway, if Petzl is going to charge me for a fix, I'd probably just fix it myself with some clear tape or leave it open and hope it doesn't get wet...

Jay

Can you descrbe how it's broken? If it's broken on the large piece that holds the LED's in place, you can plastic weld it back together with a soldiering iron. Just let it get hot and trace down the crack with the tip, creating a gully, then move the pieces of gully back over the top, smoothing it out. I have repaired many plastic items this way, some headlamps, Leki poles, zipper tabs, etc. If it's on the tab that holds everything together, I'd have to see it to help you more, sorry.

I just sent my Tikka back because of blinking and switch problems, they are a great company to deal with. I got fast service too. My Tikka was 2 yrs old, the warantee is 3 years. They said if it was out of warantee, it would cost me $10 to cover any repairs.

Use the CONTACT US on the web page, you'll get an answer with in the week.

Acrylic can be welded using nail polish remover or laquer thiner. That is how the lens cover was set in anyway, it was tack welded using the same stuff. Wick it on carefully adn sparingly using a needle, do not touch it, it will leave finger prints and make a mess. Just be carefull as you wick so you don't apply too much, it will stain if you run it all over the clear plastic but be invisable in the cracks.

Last edited:
Well, the plastic cover must of shattered in bits and pieces, it's gone, zilch, nada. Sure, I can probably adapt something plastic and something clear to it. I'm all for DIY and I'm handy enough to fix it myself. So unless Petzl is going to send me a replacement, I'd just as well fix it myself.

Jay

GlennS, wow, didn't know Petzl sold replacement covers... In multicolor too, the Red might be handy in some stealth situations..

Surely the headlamp works without it, but wondering if it will work if it gets wet...

Jay

Jay H said:
GlennS, wow, didn't know Petzl sold replacement covers... In multicolor too, the Red might be handy in some stealth situations..
Doable, but very inefficient. A light with a red LED will have a much better battery life.

(A white LED is a blue LED with phosphors to convert some of the blue to red and green to produce a white-ish total light. A red cover will thow away the blue and green light.)

Surely the headlamp works without it, but wondering if it will work if it gets wet...
The Tikka was never waterproof to begin with. That and an unreliable switch were part of why I exchanged mine for a Princeton Tec Aurora.

Doug

Jay H said:

Jay

The Tactica has the optional red flip down lens.

Yes, the Tikka will work when wet, even after it's veen completely submerged in water. Mine has been submerged many times, once even in brake fluid (I accidentally dropped it), and it's served me well. I can't tell you how many times it's been drenched from hiking in the rain as well.

My son lost his two years ago,no problems.they sell replacement lenses in clear, red,and amber.