Cog railway closed this winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to lions head winter route new peakbaggers!!!!! Brush up on self arrest

Monroe, jefferson and washington just got lots tougher

I don't recall either being that tough before there was access from the Cog. No self arrest or ice axe needed. But the ride to Edmunds was interesting :D

Methinks a lot less winter "patches" will be given out next april

If I was REALLY into list laws I'd know this, but: If the road is closed and I get a snowmobile ride to the Cog lot and do a couple peaks via Ammo and Jewell, they don't count ? I'd have to walk or ski the closed road to go up that way and have them count ?

carol -
all relative - not "tough" - but tougher than ammo/jewell in winter;

descending lion head winter is much tougher than any other "standard" winter route. At least the ones, I have been on. I haven't done all the "48" in winter - but a good amount of them I have.

If the road is closed and I get a snowmobile ride to the Cog lot and do a couple peaks via Ammo and Jewell, they don't count?
Nope, you can't take a snowmobile on a closed road. If a road is closed the trailhead becomes the gate (or where ever you can legally drive to).

I'd have to walk or ski the closed road to go up that way and have them count?
Yup.

Doug - One of the reasons Castle may not be done too often (other than the obvious long exposure) is that parking is not exactly obvious. I've often worried about blocking access for the folks who live there, or getting plowed in, etc.
Like Doug, I've done Castle Trail in winter and had no problem with parking - there was a big swath plowed there. Used same lot to ascend via Israel Ridge. But I agree with KR that Lowes Path may be the easiest in normal snow.

Of course the other option is to get a real low snow winter and drive up Jefferson Notch road in early winter, then do it via caps ridge
Yup, done that too :)

Was the road open as far as Edmunds?
Ed - that one's not easy to answer, as it depends upon which winter you were inquiring. It's been a moving target as to how far, and which road(s) you could drive a vehicle (other than snow mobile) on.

Personally, I'd wait until there's something official. Then, if you want to follow the rules, drive your vehicle as far as it's legal in winter - that becomes the trail head, as Dave Metsky suggests. Nobody checks these things, and it's all on the honor system.

The main thing is - have fun and be safe ... (or not).

After several attempts at Jefferson in winter, I have yet to be successful. In a weird sorta way, I kinda like the fact that it's been my "white whale", but figured the cog running in winter would increase my odds at a future attempt. Oh well ..... It's all good tho ....... if, .... I mean when ..... I finally summit in the winter, it will be that much sweeter. :)

Anyway, Lowes Path to Gray Knob trail seems like a good option. We tried a different variation on one attempt, but I don't recall the name of the trail after Lowes. Another of our failed attempts was via the Castle Trail. It was well-broken out when we did it, but the weather deteriorated all morning, couldn't see more than 20 or 30 feet, and we turned around by 11am. One of these years ....... :rolleyes:

Was the road open as far as Edmunds?

In years past, the road was not gated or plowed and you could drive anywhere you dared, I recall driving up the Base Road among snowmobiles in a 2wd van :)

Then the snowmobile lobby got the rules changed so you couldn't drive it in winter although it was a public road

Then somebody started living at the Base Station year round and they got permission to plow Mt Clinton Rd but to gate it just off 302

You'll just have to wait and see what happens this year

If I was REALLY into list laws

There are really such things? :confused:

I just thought it was a general consensus that was open enough for personal interpitation that it created endless fodden for forum disussions. I know this is heavy on the sarcasum but I would think laws would be quite clear.

Then again if I climbed Washington and got a ride down (which I did) I'd still say I climbed Washington and wouldn't care that much if anyone counted it or not. It counts for me. I'm not hiking for anyone else.

I know this is heavy on the sarcasum but I would think laws would be quite clear.
The AMC 4k Club laws are quite clear in this instance (although excessively vague in others).
Then again if I climbed Washington and got a ride down (which I did) I'd still say I climbed Washington and wouldn't care that much if anyone counted it or not. It counts for me. I'm not hiking for anyone else.

I don't know if there is any club for people who just climb the 4000-footers. Since ~1980 the AMC has been a club for those who both climb and descend by foot. Of course you climbed Mt Washington, but you didn't descend by foot which they also require for their particular patch.

Other clubs think even the climbing rule is silly, the State Highpointers allow you to drive or take the Cog up. But many games have silly rules, did you ever play cricket?

So if I want the patch I have to follow the rules and you have to trust me. :rolleyes:

I still fun and will probably climb up and down Whashington several times. I'm looking foward to a winter climb. Is there a winter rocker?

... Is there a winter rocker?

Sorta - the outline of the peaks on the winter patch is done in white. Or maybe it the "AMC" that's in white? In any case, this is what it looks like:

2758058950044986489S425x425Q85.jpg

The 46er's have a winter rocker.

Last edited:
Sorta - the outline of the peaks on the winter patch is done in white. Or maybe it the "AMC" that's in white? In any case, this is what it looks like:

2758058950044986489S425x425Q85.jpg

The 46er's have a winter rocker.

Strange, I recently received my all-season 4000-footer patch and it looks exactly like the one you posted.

What does the other one look like? The AMC sites don't show pictures, that I could find.

Tim

Strange, I recently received my all-season 4000-footer patch and it looks exactly like the one you posted.

What does the other one look like? The AMC sites don't show pictures, that I could find.

Tim

The only difference is the "AMC" - red lettering on the all-season and white lettering for winter.

The only difference is the "AMC" - red lettering on the all-season and white lettering for winter.

OK then I do have the red lettering (now that I am home and can see the lettering itself), and therefore the correct patch. For some reason I always thought the snow-capped mountains was the differentiator.

Tim

I thought they would be different also, but alas it was not to be. (I like my Belknap Range Hiker patch better :D )

They're too similar if you ask me:

All season patch (1 5/8 x 2 1/8)
amc_wm4k_allseason_sm.jpg

Winter patch (1 1/2 x 2 9/16)
amc_wm4k_winter_sm.jpg