Private Campgrounds can be open in NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update Public Campgrounds and Private campgrounds can reopen in NH to NH residents only. The governor extended the stay at home order until the end of the month

https://www.wmur.com/article/new-hampshire-coronavirus-stay-at-home-order-updates/32343346#

The WMNF had stated they would align their policies with NH policies, I wonder if and when they will be reopening/opening the WMNF campgrounds?. NH never closed trailheads so no idea when WMNF will open trailheads or campsites.

When the NH campground roll out was announced there was a limitation that it was NH residents and existing members prior to a certain date. Obviously if the members loophole wasnt restricted the campgrounds or golf courses could just do a farcical daily membership policy to side step the limitation. I am not aware that the "prior to a certain date" was included in the actual administrative final rules.

Last edited:
I believe to everyone.

Could a state only allow private campgrounds to open to residents of the state? My gut instinct tells me that would somehow violate the implied commerce clause.*

Brian

*So the Implied Commerce Clause is a limit on the abilities of a state to impede interstate commerce. The can close motels, say, but a state could not, I believe only open them to in-state residents. But in any, I think at some point Connecticut just wants to re-open.

I believe to everyone.

Could a state only allow private campgrounds to open to residents of the state? My gut instinct tells me that would somehow violate the implied commerce clause.*

Brian

*So the Implied Commerce Clause is a limit on the abilities of a state to impede interstate commerce. The can close motels, say, but a state could not, I believe only open them to in-state residents. But in any, I think at some point Connecticut just wants to re-open.

Well the governor of NH has put in that restriction.

In the last week or so I am seeing quite a trucks hauling campers mostly with out of state plates in the Berlin Gorham area. I also see a fair share of out of state trucks hauling ATVs into the area. Not sure where they are staying.

Last edited:
In the last week or so I am seeing quite a trucks hauling campers mostly with out of state plates in the Berlin Gorham area. I also see a fair share of out of state trucks hauling ATVs into the area. Not sure where they are staying.

I was just reading a Facebook post (USFS I think?) that said campgrounds were opening up, I think on 5/22 with some exceptions. I didn't see anything saying "NH residents only". Not sure what Memorial Day Weekend is going to be like this year with everything going on. Busy? Dead? I've been in Ohio the past two days so I'm not up to speed on the latest changes.

https://www.nhstateparks.org/covid-19

Last thing I knew NH campgrounds are still NH residents only. NH is not enforcing quarantine recommendations for out of staters so I expect a lot of day trippers, plenty of transient campers in Walmart lots, and in general plenty of boon dockers.

I thought it was Private Campgrounds were the ones that were told to rent to NH Residents only. USFS is reserved through the recreation.gov and is on USFS land. They had been closed until this upcoming weekend.

https://www.nhstateparks.org/covid-19

Last thing I knew NH campgrounds are still NH residents only. NH is not enforcing quarantine recommendations for out of staters so I expect a lot of day trippers, plenty of transient campers in Walmart lots, and in general plenty of boon dockers.

93 north was very busy with out of staters between Manchester and Concord this morning. I'm going to be extremely curious to see what it's like when I get out of work, which will rule out the day trippers.

I was just down in North Conway. There is a definite increase in traffic on the main drag. Lots of restaurants putting in outdoor dining.

I was just down in North Conway. There is a definite increase in traffic on the main drag. Lots of restaurants putting in outdoor dining.

That's good news in my book. Need these places generating some revenue to stay in business and keep employees working. Such a big weekend for so many places. Hopefully it is a safe and successful restart to the region.

As of Friday most of the WMNF campgrounds are open. I do not see a restriction limiting camping to NH residents which applies to other camping in NH.

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/05/22/new-hampshires-massachusetts-memorial-day-weekend

New Hampshire’s governor has a Memorial Day weekend message to Massachusetts: Stay in your state
"That’s where they are and that’s where they should stay."

“Stay local,” Sununu said during a press conference Friday, when asked what his message was to Bay Staters as the neighboring New England States slowly begin to allow more businesses and activities to resume during the coronavirus pandemic.

“We have a stay-at-home order in place here,” he said. “Massachusetts has one in there.”

Tim

Last edited:
Generally, I agree with our local governors on proceeding slowing. Given that it's highly likely, unless I've missed it, that Bike Week will go on and it will likely will produce lots of video of people not wearing masks and not socially distancing, Sununu should have massaged his message to be a bit nicer but on point.

IMO, you can't go from Stay-at-home to free for all without looking as a hypocrite. He's played his I'm being tough with out-of-staters, lets see how he plays the Welcome Bikers card . I assume Berlin is welcoming out-of state ATV'ers as they are a big boost to the local economy. I remember driving through there in the 90's post paper industry but pre-ATV and it was pretty bleak.

My other fear is that someone will file a lawsuit like they have in a couple of states out of our region and the shelter-in-place order will be deemed unconstitutional and you'll distancing and mask use decline.

(Edit and delete this paragraph if you want moderators) Jumping on the 3rd rail, I'm kind of surprised the POTUS is pushing for churches reopening. Church demographics show a much older population except in what was once called the "Bible Belt". The other thing I would guess is that many of them support the POTUS. A spike in this group will cost him votes. Penny wise, dollar foolish? And of course making the rest of us not safe again.

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/05/22/new-hampshires-massachusetts-memorial-day-weekend

New Hampshire’s governor has a Memorial Day weekend message to Massachusetts: Stay in your state
"That’s where they are and that’s where they should stay."

“Stay local,” Sununu said during a press conference Friday, when asked what his message was to Bay Staters as the neighboring New England States slowly begin to allow more businesses and activities to resume during the coronavirus pandemic.

“We have a stay-at-home order in place here,” he said. “Massachusetts has one in there.”

Tim

If you look at the actual news conferences by Sununu, he says one thing but then says that the state doesnt intend to actively enforce the stay at home order, rather he depends on out of staters to honor the intent. IMHO the state would much rather have businesses do the dirty work of following the regulation than actually attempting to enforce what are essentially unenforceable controls on the general public.

BTW - Berlin may be welcoming out ot state ATVers (many have bought second homes in the areas) but all the tourist infrastructure is in Gorham and as of yesterday the only interconnecting trail between Gorham and Berlin is closed. Jericho Lake state park is open but many of the trail systems that connect to it are closed.

Long thread so I don't know if this was brought up. Definitely adding fuel to fire of NH residents. One thing I didn't know that I learned from this, is a private company now runs the WMNF campgrounds. When did that happen? I assume it was a staffing issue. Anyway, this was a message from PRO SPORTS INC. a few days ago. This is just a screen shot of that message. Much more info was given. It said most campgrounds would be open on the 22nd, excluding any and all large group sites.

MFb_C52mkciVjkjg-TP7YExwHFw8JVlpnKrjpD6sOr5uv1qH0XBas6m4KU7PAGk_NWarWgkdOFMsWlZUIfI8WFAES2Wsc59JhEf9Q146a7liy-kYDZzSrbd2wYIooaizJCji1fRi8_dFOmRzByQaIV2YSDPNxSHUrfImu8kfznODDRM0EYcCK2INcJsNsBjFj2lvwhCnRNoaEnXbmx3-a7L82L_t96YAfptHdwjS7gtUcSiSUA6Pgzzqdf9qV9bb0IFLkrsiDVe-v8Gk_B_yoUQl00r4AAW0wECWSXfuQhfhyWisC05OCXyBlow4X-2Ot4W2xMQCqnR6jtfXR-kH_32HIR38emHWPRe23hOs1CTbrF1EGE_N1wgiDWsEX4CsQpgYAuqlGdBdjD0R7u5O1uwA9oHSlvki1EJmU0zhqx_MlqTM1FyYWfSFmymtC425m2mMNiZPSry_GoAeFIYEBdCPW96BEHv3GOS4HXaqPA9qLZUpihw4HFKa37kfb320RScV1SuqEI1pxLioGWFLKiaKf6O7tiZSF36kyNAqxWa2xKaYhVEx6Qu-TDcMQNfAUf829f6O71_ikf37PVCT1W-nFsQFVf9ac9V0CXY-u0dblPrhYgsZw5Ef6k-P1KgYwW8EC87QIlY8F9veozBcTlFfxKwdn4Dh2t1xW-dq6i767IDH70-PUOEkBusyIw=w597-h494-no