Bivy Sack / 1 Person Tent Hybrid

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I am interested in getting a free standing shelter that is somewhere in between a basic bivy sack and a 1 person tent. I've been carrying an OR Gore Tex Bivy Bag for emergencies in Winter and I like the simplicity but that really isn't quite what I want for actual overnight use. In particular, I'm wondering if they make such a product that has more of a netting type with a fly type cover so there is more ventilation, the ability to look outside to some degree and possibly something that zips a bit down the side to get in and out a bit easier (and also get a pad in and out a bit easier). My OR bag has netting but it is only along bottom basically so you can vent it without bugs getting inside. It is fairly claustrophobic (which I realize is not what it was designed for - just using it as a basis for what I'm looking for).

Basically want to use the bag as a quick shelter for sunset/sunrise type hikes where I can get close to or on summits (either on an open sheltered rock/ledge or nestling into a soft spot or void under scrub trees) and will only be sleeping for a few hours. I've done some attempts with my hammock but it is simply too hard to find an adequate spot to set up so close to most summits and get it hung correctly, pitch a tarp over it, etc. Been looking online but not really finding a product like this. Not sure if I am calling it the wrong thing or it doesn't exist. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: This Eureka tent is along the lines of what I would want but isn't freestanding.
https://sectionhiker.com/eureka-solitaire-tent-review/

Last edited:
I have one of these. Seems close to what you're looking for.
you can pitch just the poles and fly if you don't want the tent, or no fly obviously
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/big-agnes/seedhouse-sl1/

I did come across that one and a similar model by North Face. Was really hoping for something lower profile but not having any luck. This model is pretty close to what I intended but you have to stake the head area: https://www.amazon.com/Winterial-Single-Person-Personal-Lightweight/dp/B019WZFMGA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=shopperz_origin3-20&ascsubtag=342370268-2-&SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&th=1

I'm probably looking for something that doesn't exist. Will probably have to settle for the smallest 1 person tent I can find.

I have an REI Quarter Dome 1 that I really, really like. The current model is truly free standing. My model, which is a few years old, requires one corner staked out. They called it semi-free standing hahahaha.

https://www.rei.com/product/110817/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-1-tent

I sold my Big Agnes Three-wire Bivy. I wanted to like it, but I learned that I wanted the room to be able to change clothes or to read a book in the rain.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Three-Wire-Bivy

The web site Eastern Slopes had a review of solo tents about five years ago. So the model have changed but the general comments are still valid.

I think you already have the answer but you just don't like it. :) I have an early OR bivy from the 80's so the opening for the screen and vent is very limited compared to the newer ones. So I carry a silicon nylon tarp (4x6) that I rig into a canopy over the head opening of the bivy sack so I can have the vent open in the rain and can sit and cook under the same when it is raining. Anyway that is what works for me. The tarp makes the whole set up much more comfortable.

I have an REI Quarter Dome 1 that I really, really like. The current model is truly free standing. My model, which is a few years old, requires one corner staked out. They called it semi-free standing hahahaha.

https://www.rei.com/product/110817/rei-co-op-quarter-dome-1-tent

I sold my Big Agnes Three-wire Bivy. I wanted to like it, but I learned that I wanted the room to be able to change clothes or to read a book in the rain.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Three-Wire-Bivy

The web site Eastern Slopes had a review of solo tents about five years ago. So the model have changed but the general comments are still valid.

I was looking at a similar tent by the North Face that was simpler and cheaper. (Stormbreak I think it was). I did find some REI tents I liked too and then came across a Kelty tent in the REI garage on clearance for $63. With my unused $51 dividend it was a $12 tent so I'm giving that a whirl. A bit heavier than I would have liked but simple 2 pole freestanding set up with a rain fly that buckles to the pole holder so it is totally tie down free. As long as it isn't too tall I think it will work. I've never owned a Kelty tent buy I've had several of their backpacks and like the quality, especially for the price.

I think you already have the answer but you just don't like it. :) I have an early OR bivy from the 80's so the opening for the screen and vent is very limited compared to the newer ones. So I carry a silicon nylon tarp (4x6) that I rig into a canopy over the head opening of the bivy sack so I can have the vent open in the rain and can sit and cook under the same when it is raining. Anyway that is what works for me. The tarp makes the whole set up much more comfortable.

Yah, I am very particular with my gear (i.e. I'm a fussy bastard). The stake free requirement definitely severely limits my options, otherwise it would not be nearly as much of a challenge. Always worth asking on this forum though. I've learned about tons of gear I had no idea existed until I joined VFTT. Figure if such a product did exist someone on here probably owns one.

I've used the Eureka Solitaire as a free standing in low elevation sites and it can stand unstaked. The Fly stays off the main body much better if staked. Issues I have had with the Solitaire is that the poles are bent severely to form the tunnel shape, I've broken a couple. Eureka sells replacements and they are about a dollar a piece, I'd bring spares if I was going to use it as you want.

It is very tight and the vestibule is not very large, unlikely you could get a pack in it. The Scouts and leaders have nicknamed it "The Coffin"

These all appear to require staking of some manner, which I'm trying to avoid based on my intended use for it.

They're all free-standing, which was what you stated. I'm sure they'll go together without being staked, but it's tough to get a good double-wall with space between fly and body for ventilation without the tension of stakes.

Basically want to use the bag as a quick shelter for sunset/sunrise type hikes where I can get close to or on summits (either on an open sheltered rock/ledge or nestling into a soft spot or void under scrub trees) and will only be sleeping for a few hours.

In the past, I've done this sort of camping with just a foam pad and sleeping bag.

I was looking at a similar tent by the North Face that was simpler and cheaper. (Stormbreak I think it was). I did find some REI tents I liked too and then came across a Kelty tent in the REI garage on clearance for $63. With my unused $51 dividend it was a $12 tent so I'm giving that a whirl. A bit heavier than I would have liked but simple 2 pole freestanding set up with a rain fly that buckles to the pole holder so it is totally tie down free. As long as it isn't too tall I think it will work. I've never owned a Kelty tent buy I've had several of their backpacks and like the quality, especially for the price.

The Kelty Circuit 1P looks like a clone of my Marmot Eclipse, which is a fine tent.

This is no longer made, but I got a TNF Slickrock for this exact purpose. Technically a 2-person, they have to be pretty friendly. Great for me and my dog. Lightweight, free standing if the vestibule is not on (and then it only takes two stakes). I would normally use it without the vestibule/raincover and it's a screen tent from there. Packed like a loaf of bread and set up in about 5 minutes.

https://www.geartrade.com/item/452771/north-face-slickrock-backpacking-tent

Why not a well-ventilated single-wall tent?

http://www.davidalbeck.com/hiking/reviews/zeus1exo.html

The vestibule needs stakes or rocks (or just stuff your backpack inside) for proper tension, but that's not needed for tent integrity except in very high wind from that direction. A bit of tension on the fabric does help the zipper travel easily, though.

Mine's been going strong for 15 years now.

Edit: before posting this, I checked that this tent was still offered for sale online. I found it, for cheap (~$60), but on closer inspection I can't find a respectable vendor who actually has it in stock. You'll have to try Craigslist or EBay.

Last edited:
They're all free-standing, which was what you stated. I'm sure they'll go together without being staked, but it's tough to get a good double-wall with space between fly and body for ventilation without the tension of stakes.

?? It looked to me in photos that the fronts had to have body staked or the sides would collapse toward the single pole. When I say free standing I'm talking the unit would be complete w/ fly without tying anything, fly or body. I'll have to go back and look at the photos again.

The Kelty Circuit 1P looks like a clone of my Marmot Eclipse, which is a fine tent.

That was the model I ordered in REI Garage. I love Marmot stuff and own several of their tents. Didn't see anything on their site that looked like it would fit the bill. All required some sort of staking and I don't like their large vestibules on the fly for this purpose. Creates a lot of width to the set up which would not be ideal for what I am trying to do.