The Dyatlov Pass Incident

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
Anyone ever read about the Dyatlov Pass incident in which 10 hikers were killed in Siberia in 1959? A friend sent me a book about it and it sure is strange.

Conspiracy theories abound to explain the gruesome deaths of all in the winter hiking party: From Bigfoot, to low-frequency sound waves, to the KGB.

I was curious if any VFTT folks had researched the event and had addl info.

There's been a lot of recent activity around this mystery. I've listened to several podcasts on the subject, it is very interesting. Some of the theories are :p.

I read Dead Mountain a few years ago. 2016, I think ... still on my bookshelf.

I walked away from it with the feeling that the deaths were the result of Soviet military testing of some variety. In my mind, it was the only explanation that really fit all the facts. Couldn’t get away from the detection of radiation on the clothing of at least one victim and the reported browning of the face of one or two victims. It was the late 50s so the Cold War and nuclear testing were in full swing with the middle-of-nowhere in the frozen Urals being a perfect place for that kind of activity.

Last edited:
There's been a lot of recent activity around this mystery. I've listened to several podcasts on the subject, it is very interesting. Some of the theories are :p.

Yes, I've seen a half-dozen shows about it within the last few months and very interesting story.

I read Dead Mountain a few years ago. 2016, I think ... still on my bookshelf.

I walked away from it with the feeling that the deaths were the result of Soviet military testing of some variety. In my mind, it was the only explanation that really fit all the facts. Couldn’t get away from the detection of radiation on the clothing of at least one victim and the reported browning of the face of one or two victims. It was the late 50s so the Cold War and nuclear testing were in full swing with the middle-of-nowhere in the frozen Urals being a perfect place for that kind of activity.

Yes, some of the injuries were so severe they bordered on torture. The book I read came out in 2018 and theorizes that one of the group was passing Russian nuke info to interested parties and the entire trip was an elaborate rendezvous to give the radiation-laced sweaters to someone else. The sweaters could be analyzed to see what isotopes they contained and thus provide insight on the state of USSR nuke technology

In any case, many of those folks died a miserable death. Strange stuff indeed. But the cold war was strange.

I am of the "duck n cover" generation and spent more than a few minutes under my school desk avoiding annihilation by A bomb.

Last edited:
I read a lot about it. I think folks like to believe that strange things happened but I think it's all explained by a combo of hypothermia and perhaps a malfunctioning stove, all in the middle of a extremely bad storm. If you read enough from credible sources and not all the crazy stuff, pretty much everything can be explained, including the injuries (fall into a crevice and eventually get crushed by the snowpack). For eg, the couple hikers who had higher than average radiation on their clothes worked in facilities that handled nuclear materials. Also could have been old thorium lanterns. But not likely aliens or cold war military testing. The infrasound theory is pretty creative though not particularly believable. Also keep in mind that there is so much misinfo out there about the facts, so it's easy to read stories and think how can that be explained? It can be explained b/c you are reading made-up facts that have been repeated over decades.

Last edited:
^^^^

I watched a short video yesterday advancing this theory. But what I have a tough time with there is that it seems somewhat unconceivable to me that 9 experienced hikers going for Level 3 Soviet certification (whatever that means LOL) would all be dead within 8 hours of the incident as a result of something as simple as a malfunctioning stove in a tent. If so, they seem pretty unworthy of the certifications they had already earned.

If I remember right, all of the students were essentially pro-USSR and like you say a couple already had experience at nuclear sites. Maybe there was a little secret give-and-take going on here (quid pro quo drinking game :)). “You do this little experiment for us and we give you certification.” And then it all goes horribly wrong.

Of course the problem with anything you read, watch or listen to on the topic is presented from the perspective of someone leaning this way or that. So certain facts are emphasized while others are explained away.

Last edited:
Of course the problem with anything you read, watch or listen to on the topic is presented from the perspective of someone leaning this way or that. So certain facts are emphasized while others are explained away.[/QUOTE]
This makes a lot of sense. I think it applies to other topics as well.��

Strange indeed. Read the book a couple of years ago and was particularly interested in the theory regarding wind and low-frequency sound waves so did my own research and I discovered that the University of Hawaii has an “infrasound lab.” (See https://www.isla.hawaii.edu )

As someone with a hyper-sensitive sense of hearing, and who had a bizarre, unexplained sense of foreboding while on vacation to climb Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea at the Big Island a few years back, I found this fascinating. I’d never before had this feeling anywhere but discovered it could have been caused by the infrasound of volcanic activity. Who knows? I DO know I’m never going back to Hawaii!

Snoflea your not missing much by not going back to Hawaii. IMOP and according to known statistics it's a sh** hole. You don't want to know how I know that.

Snoflea your not missing much by not going back to Hawaii. IMOP and according to known statistics it's a sh** hole. You don't want to know how I know that.

Aw come on Capt'n. HW has its problems like every other state in the Union, but is far from a sh**t hole! I spent 2.5 months on Oahu winter of 2014-5 and it was great. Wonderful (and dangerous) hiking, crazy surf scene and beautiful state beach facilities all around the island.

The big issue is homeless folks. But hey, what state does not have to deal with that issue these days?

Snoflea -- Interesting reaction to low freqs. We stayed a month in Makaha where there are two giant towers the Navy uses to communicate with submarines around the world. The technology is ELF (extremely low frequency) transmission. But I think it is still a higher freq than the sub-audible sound wave issue you describe.

Fun Fact -- Our visionary leader (Darren) who gave birth to VFTT is a HUGE fan of Hawaii, having spent a few years there doing stuff for the Navy that he won't talk about:)

cb

Strange indeed. Read the book a couple of years ago and was particularly interested in the theory regarding wind and low-frequency sound waves so did my own research and I discovered that the University of Hawaii has an “infrasound lab.” (See https://www.isla.hawaii.edu )

As someone with a hyper-sensitive sense of hearing, and who had a bizarre, unexplained sense of foreboding while on vacation to climb Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea at the Big Island a few years back, I found this fascinating. I’d never before had this feeling anywhere but discovered it could have been caused by the infrasound of volcanic activity. Who knows? I DO know I’m never going back to Hawaii!

I’m curious Snowflea,

Have you ever spent time in Yellowstone? Another volcanic hot spot with lots going on sub-surface.

I want to know how you know that, as my experiences there were nothing but pleasant.

Wow.

I have been fortunate enough to work and/or visit most of our States; including Alaska and Hawaii.

I will tell you every State has residents who wholeheartedly believe their State is "God's country"

Obviously there are many deluded people. We all know that Vermont is God's country.

Here in NH, we know you Vermonters just ride around in pickup trucks, smoking weed and shooting guns out of the windows of you're vehicles. :p

Here in NH, we know you Vermonters just ride around in pickup trucks, smoking weed and shooting guns out of the windows of you're vehicles. :p

Which reminds me of this incident:

By: Vermont Fish and Wildlife
Posted on: 11/27/06 (Source.)

"Road hunters" who shoot at deer from Vermont roadways are violating the law and tarnishing the image of law-abiding hunters who play a vital role in managing Vermont's deer population. Consequently, State Game Wardens will use "decoy deer," which are taxidermy deer placed to represent a live deer in order to reduce illegal road hunting activity.

While working in Danville on the evening of November 17, State Game Warden Dennis Amsden and deputy State Game Wardens Aaron Mangan and Martin Montour observed a vehicle stop and shine a light on a decoy deer they had placed in a field. The vehicle then drove into the field and accelerated toward the deer and ran into it, sending it approximately 27 feet and destroying it in the process.

Joseph Clark, 31, of St. Johnsbury, Vermont was arrested and charged with felony unlawful mischief, taking deer by illegal means, possession of marijuana, and criminal driving with license suspended.

If I remember correctly, his significant other and infant child were also in the truck, they weren't wearing seatbelts, and there may or may not have been a proper babyseat. Good times.