Owls Head higher summit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am planning on making the trek out to Owl's Head in August so the summit information and photo are very helpful. Thanks. I hope the FS can just ignore the cairn and leave it be. It's just a pile of rocks that were already there. What's the big deal? On the other hand, "someone" is probably too nice a name for a person who carves anything into a tree anywhere, let alone on a wilderness summit.

Some find a cairn just as much of an affront to Wilderness as initials on a tree.

That said, it appears the FS is leaving cairns alone on Owl's Head at this time. May not be as kind to signs.

Tim

Some find a cairn just as much of an affront to Wilderness as initials on a tree.

Tim

I understand and respect that position but offer this rebuttal. A cairn is an ephemeral construct of native material, easily dis-assembled and scattered. Carving something on a tree is destructive and harmful, creating a long lasting if not permanent scar. I guess one's tolerance of cairns depends on how "wild" you want your "wilderness" to be. The Pemi is of course a re-created "wilderness" having been extensively logged.