Osteoarthritis of hip -- when is surgery recommended?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect that several VTFFers have had hip replacement, hoping for some information.

I have started developing osteoarthritis of my left hip, and can rarely walk more than a couple of hours before the pain becomes too severe to continue. OTOH currently I have little or no pain at rest.

My question is: how much pain will I have to endure before I am considered a candidate for hip replacement?

Several of my co-workers (in their 50's and low 60's) have had both hips replaced and are totally pain-free now. They were pretty hobbled and using canes for several years prior to surgery. They aren't hikers but they are fairly active regardless. It's just really good to see them no longer in pain!!!! I wouldn't put it off if you are in continuous pain!!!!!

I had both hips replaced in 2012 and it worked out very well. I wanted to wait for as long as I could due to the expected usable life of the new parts. I'm 59 currently.

Once my right hip was replaced in Feb of 2012, the left hip seemed to degrade very quickly, and had that one replaced in December 2012 (that also worked out well for insurance, since I had completed my out-of-pocket max for the year as a result of the first operation).

One thing that I found is that the longer you wait, the more your muscles atrophy in that area, and the recovery takes longer as a result. My left hip recovered much more quickly than my right, where I had felt pain the longest (about five years) before surgery.

My wife had hip replacement. She'll vouch that my tequila therapy postponed the inevitable for a few years.

It varies for everyone as to when to do it. My suggestion is when the pain of not doing what you like to do exceeds the pain of the hip, that's the time.

I don't have any clue what you've tried so far for treatment -- there may be physical therapy or medications that help before resorting to surgery.

For joint pains in the knees, I've found that Glucosamine Chondroitin helps. Big giant fricking horse-pills, whenever I get lazy and forget to take them the knees start to complain a few days later. I have no clue if hips work the same way.

But if the pain limits your mobility, it sound like the replacement technology is pretty well-developed -- no downside to having it done except the cost.

Many thanks for the replies!

... They were pretty hobbled and using canes for several years prior to surgery ...

That is precisely what I want to avoid ;)

... I wanted to wait for as long as I could due to the expected usable life of the new parts. I'm 59 currently.

One thing that I found is that the longer you wait, the more your muscles atrophy in that area, and the recovery takes longer as a result ...

Given my age (76) the usable life of the joint is likely to be much longer than my usable life :eek: So the sooner the better.

... She'll vouch that my tequila therapy postponed the inevitable for a few years ...

Stan, can I take your tequila therapy even if I do have surgery ;)

I don't have any clue what you've tried so far for treatment -- there may be physical therapy or medications that help before resorting to surgery ...

Right now I am taking Vitamin I, will see my doctor next week to discuss options.

My question was really directed to those of you who, like me, were keen for surgery ... how bad did the pain have to get before your doctor recommend surgery (or perhaps more to the point, your insurer allowed it)?

I have at best a few years of hiking ahead of me; the sooner I can get back on the trails the happier I will be.

My father in law is in his 70's and unlike you, is complete couch potato, and we were really concerned when his Dr. recommended hip replacement. I was amazed at how quickly he was back on his feet and how quickly(within 2 weeks) he ditched the cane that he had been using for 6+ months prior to surgery. He regrets not having it done sooner.

FYI: My father's 2 knees and my father in law's hip were done by Dr. Fox at the Concord, NH hospital. He comes highly recommended and did a great job on my relatives. Good luck with your hip!!