One day pemi loop?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangergirl

Reaction score
So, I am thinking of a one day pemi loop at the end of this month. Who has done it and how long does it take? I am sort of planning a one day presi traverse next weekend with a friend to prepare.

So, I am thinking of a one day pemi loop at the end of this month. Who has done it and how long does it take? I am sort of planning a one day presi traverse next weekend with a friend to prepare.
7 h 5 m is about the fastest it's been done. 14 h is probably a decent time that any fit hiker can do. It's doable by anyone that can competently do a Presidential Traverse, in my opinion.

One bit of warning: Don't accidentally bail down the Garfield Trail. Only morons do that... :rolleyes:

-Dr. Wu

14 hours isn't too bad. I am feeling pretty fit after this Denali trip and want to maintain the fitness so doing traverses and pemi loops seem like a fun way to stay in good hiking shape! I am gonna run a trail marathon this Sunday. I usually don't do much in the summer but maybe I will start! It will be a great way to make myself strong for my favorite season: WINTER!

14 hours isn't too bad. I am feeling pretty fit after this Denali trip and want to maintain the fitness so doing traverses and pemi loops seem like a fun way to stay in good hiking shape! I am gonna run a trail marathon this Sunday. I usually don't do much in the summer but maybe I will start! It will be a great way to make myself strong for my favorite season: WINTER!
There are tons of good, long traverses and loops to do -- as hikes or runs -- way fun... the faster you go the more ground you can cover and the earlier you can get back to the campsite to drink beer.

Kilkenny Ridge Traverse; also, lots and lots of options in the Wild River area. And the Pemi. Doubt you'll have any trouble going <12 hours for the Pemi Loop.

-Dr. Wu

completed the pemi loop last summer in 13.5 hours. this was going clockwise at a good steady hiking pace with short breaks to enjoy the views and no side peaks. a great hike. it sounds like your a pretty strong hiker so i'm sure you'd have no problem finshing with daylight to spare on both ends.
have fun.

bryan

14 h is probably a decent time that any fit hiker can do.

I respectfully disagree. Book time is 20+ hours, that's without Galehead or West Bond. In my opinion, to hike 31 miles at book time minus six hours is not a "decent" time, it is excellent. It requires a high degree of fitness, and a fast pace with short rest breaks.

I am in no way suggesting that Dangergirl can't do it... not after that epic Denali hike! :)

Book time is a joke.

Lol, and what book? They proabably haven't updated that crap since everyone wore knee high boots and 30 pound packs everywhere. A FIT hiker should be achieving at least 2 mph on a maintained non super technical trail. A person who just finished dragging a heavy pack and a sled up Denali I'm sure falls into at least the FIT category. (you didn't have like 5 sherpas did you DG!:))

AMC book time is a very simple calculation. It starts with a base of 2mph flat, then accounts for elevation. Thus 30 minutes per mile, plus 30 minutes per 1000' gained. It is not meant to account for trail runners. A "fit hiker" can certainly exceed book time; however, over 31+ miles I think it takes far more of an athlete to exceed an average of 2mph for the whole route.

Last edited:
Not a joke, not crap... and something that is old is not necessarily useless. I hope not anyway. =)

It is a somewhat arbitrary number. But for many hikers, those of us who are not super human, it is a number that requires a lot of hard work, both before and on the actual day of the hike, to "beat" - especially over 31 miles.

Sorry to those who were apparently offended by the mere mention of this term.

I think the best thing to do is to go out and try it! As for book times, they are intersting. I have done things way faster than book time and others closer to book time. I think conditions and fitness both play a huge role in it. Winter tends to put me closer to book time when there is trail breaking involved. I am planning to do the presi traverse this weekend with a friend. I tried to talk her into running it but we are going to just hike. I haven't hiked with her yet but she is a very strong and fast runner and she has spent a lot of time hiking! It should be fun! Then on the 20th I am doing a 13.5 mile trail running race in Mass and then will make plans for the pemi (if I can find someone to join me!) :D I could be fast, I could be slow but I will finish!

I think the best thing to do is to go out and try it! As for book times, they are intersting. I have done things way faster than book time and others closer to book time. I think conditions and fitness both play a huge role in it. Winter tends to put me closer to book time when there is trail breaking involved. I am planning to do the presi traverse this weekend with a friend. I tried to talk her into running it but we are going to just hike. I haven't hiked with her yet but she is a very strong and fast runner and she has spent a lot of time hiking! It should be fun! Then on the 20th I am doing a 13.5 mile trail running race in Mass and then will make plans for the pemi (if I can find someone to join me!) :D I could be fast, I could be slow but I will finish!

I hope you have great weather! I am sure you will rock the Loop!

Weather permitting, we are going for it on 6/19! I do not expect to beat our 2007 time (13.5 hrs) but perhaps we'll throw in W.Bond and Galehead this time. We're going counterclockwise.

I would love to try this as a day hike in winter. Any interest??

Here is some interesting hard data:

For my all-season WM4s/NH48, I hiked

289 miles: 289 / 2 = 144.5 hours for a flat walk
93,000 feet: 93,000 / 2000 = 46.5 hours for elevation

Adding 144.5 + 46.5 = 191.0 hours

My actual recorded time was... 191 hours and 20 minutes. My recorded time was trail head to trail head including all stops. This works out to 1.5 MPH average, and 485 feet elevation per hour average.

Some hikes are way easier than book time, and some are way harder. For a loop of 31.5 miles, 9,150 feet, 20:20, there is the added additional drain of fatigue and staying fueled and hydrated for that extra amount of time, which puts it out of reach for many fit day hikers. Personally I am intrigued by the Pemi Loop but I don't get out regularly enough this time of year to really feel like I am in good enough hiking shape to do it comfortably.

Tim

p.s. Sabrina is probably chuckling at me ;)

Last edited:
hey Dangergirl... first congrats on your denali climb...I don't visit here much anymore and just saw that! awesome!!

I did the loop last year for the first time and and to be honest - the bark is way worse than the bite.

Is it hard? - yea, it is,
Will you be tired?...yea mostly likely...
Is it entirely do-able by "normal fit" hikers?...you bet it is

I think it is just a little harder than a prez traverse, but in the ballpark...In fact, few years ago I did a traverse up howker ridge and ended with webster and I thought that was harder than a pemi loop...

My loop time was just under 14 hours and I think that could have easily been shaved off since we spent neatly an hour at galehead. We ran small parts of the trip...but probably less than 25% all said and done. I also was not in the best hiking shape of my life when i did it.

here is the deal....

I have a house, a family, a job that I work probably an average of 50 hours week...Bottom line - I don't have tons of extra time to work out and train for things but I do keep in "resonable" shape and I feel I could do a loop tommorow.... I am a average hiker that does a little trail running.. nothing more.

if this was as "hard" as people are saying...someone in my life sitution could not walk out and do a pemi loop. Its a hard dayhike - nothing more.

this is not to say "look what I can/could do" - is more along the lines...don't listen to what people tell you can do or not... with an nice early start, staying fed and hydrated - and taking very short and minimal breaks...the loop is very doable for fit hikers... if there is a will to get er done...its just one foot in front of the other for 33 miles...

the worst case is you spot a car at galehead and bail if your not feeling well.. have fun!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! I just need to pick a date now! I have done the pemi in 3 days in the summer and winter but feel the need to try a one day. With just a camelpack and a few supplies I think I can move pretty quick. I am doing a one day presi again this Saturday with a friend. I will see how that goes! :)