when nature calls

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard, and it seems borne out by experience, that squatting seems to be a lot less messy than sitting and results in much less TP need.
Squatting is better than sitting. Not only is it less messy, the lower digestive tract works better when squatting. Most of the world squats; only the Western world has developed the peculiar equipment for sitting.

I third this. Squatting is the key. Get into a nice low stance with the cheeks widely spread and you concentrate the mess to a small area. Because of this I can get by with using the TP I use and mentioned - twigs, rocks, snow cones, etc. Since you don't make as much of mess around a bigger surface area you don't need to have TP that covers a wide surface area - like leaves.

Seriously, it has been almost 3 years since I last took any TP with me into the outdoors.
...and it's not for lack of need, because I am guaranteed to have to go at the base of any climb I do (or during it, or after it).

Last edited:
because I am guaranteed to have to go at the base of any climb I do (or during it, or after it).

Okay, serious question, really ... what do climbers do when they have to go while they're up on the rock? Especially if it's #2?

Okay, serious question, really ... what do climbers do when they have to go while they're up on the rock? Especially if it's #2?

On big walls (ie multiday climbs) the courteous ones carry poop tubes (think capped PVC). Not sure if they are mandated in some areas or not. There's the wag bag thingies, and sometimes bombs away.....

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=65324&msg=804795#msg804795

Some harness have releasable tether's in the back so the important parts can be freed to do their duty while still tied in. Most female specific harnesses are built this way so we can pee too :cool:

I think the little baggies made for picking up dog poop (is that what is meant by wag bags?) would be thinner and use less plastic, i.e. better for the environment than ziplocs. I've never used them for myself, but after reading this I think I may.

And as some have said, we're preaching to the choir, because aren't we supposed to go way off the trail anyways? I always am disappointed when I see that someone hasn't even bothered to leave the trail.

I think the little baggies made for picking up dog poop (is that what is meant by wag bags?) would be thinner and use less plastic, i.e. better for the environment than ziplocs.

Unless you have a dog (you may, I don't) you aren't going to have those bags handy. I keep a supply of Ziplocs around for their intended use, and the ones which are easily cleaned get reused several times and then I use them to collect garbage (including TP) while hiking. If I bought a package of the dog poop bags, how much additional plastic would I be buying? The way I do it, the answer is zero. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Tim

I think folks fall into 2 distinct categories when it comes to human waste in the backcounty.

1. Those folks that typically pull the chain without looking!

For those folks, the “WAG” (Waste Alleviation and Gelling) Bag is a good solution.

2. Those folks that typically pull the chain after a thorough inspection!

For those folks, a 2 ziplock bags and solar dehydration may be a better alternative. I wouldn’t recommend reusing the ziplocks though.

The bags we were given to use on Shasta in August had actual targets printed on the paper. I hadn't seen that before. It added to the "fun." :)

Pre-hike diet matters, too.

We all should be praying for a clean sweep if we are in the woods. Avoid the Mexican...

yellow snow, too????

With snow season upon us :) How about the yellow snow issue???? Why do so many people not cover it up???? Usually right next to the trail? ICK!!!!