Missing Skier Found Dead In NH After Being Buried By Avalanche

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
In a recent post peakbagger described how although we have not had a significant snowstorm north of the notches for some time, this area has been piling up snow bit by bit despite the frequent rain/thaws up to this point this winter. I have been curious about others snow totals in this region from the last storm that only brought us 4 or 5 inches (stretched over 72 hours or so ending early this morning) in my nearby neighborhood. I wanted to call a friend at the Cog yesterday to see how much they got with increased elevation and a similar cardinal orientation- but didn't get around to it.

Yup they are real mountains, just like out west. Sorry for the victims.

Wow, how awful.

The reports above seem to imply that this skier was solo. They also say he was well prepared because he had a functioning avi transceiver.

But what is the benefit of an avi transceiver to a solo skier when there is no one nearby to quickly locate and dig him out?

Aside from making recovery of the body quicker and easier, does it also provide a false sense of security????

A tough one for the family. If I remember correctly there was a solo BC skier rescue during a weekday last year in Raymond Cataract area that was rescued by a backcountry ranger that happened to be somewhere in the area and heard a slide and decided to go check things out just in case. I cannot remember if the rescued skier had a beacon. I think the intent of beacons is they only work if the skier is in party that can respond quickly. Unlike the small area on Washington that is patrolled the rest of the whites are not.

I do think that there are locals who ski backcountry areas during the weekday solo. Beyond wearing an airbag device or maybe a avy lung, not much a solo skier can do except avoid the temptation.

I do not pretend to be an avalanche expert but when I look at my various snowpiles around the house I see a distinct layer cake structure of multiple recent storms. Temps have been borderline around freezing so I do not know if these layers have fused together or not. I have had a several day stretch where my plow guy was visiting once or twice a day to deal with snowfalls that were a result of the local mountains wringing out some moisture.

I was thinking/wondering if there would be a statement of evaluation of the snowpack that you usually get from the snow rangers when this happens in the drainages they patrol, I don't think the CO's have this training or ability with this but maybe from one of the highly trained/experienced rescuers team members?

A tough one for the family. If I remember correctly there was a solo BC skier rescue during a weekday last year in Raymond Cataract area that was rescued by a backcountry ranger that happened to be somewhere in the area and heard a slide and decided to go check things out just in case. I cannot remember if the rescued skier had a beacon. I think the intent of beacons is they only work if the skier is in party that can respond quickly. Unlike the small area on Washington that is patrolled the rest of the whites are not.

I do think that there are locals who ski backcountry areas during the weekday solo. Beyond wearing an airbag device or maybe a avy lung, not much a solo skier can do except avoid the temptation.

I do not pretend to be an avalanche expert but when I look at my various snowpiles around the house I see a distinct layer cake structure of multiple recent storms. Temps have been borderline around freezing so I do not know if these layers have fused together or not. I have had a several day stretch where my plow guy was visiting once or twice a day to deal with snowfalls that were a result of the local mountains wringing out some moisture.
If this was the incident you are referring to it was also unfortunately a fatality. https://mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/4112019-avalanche-fatality-raymond-cataract/

Thanks for the correction and the link.

I think there is concerted effort not to comment on avalanche conditions outside the staffed USFS ravines.

This is sad to hear, at least they found him and the family will have closure. Having been in an avalanche myself, it is quite scary.

The skier was Ian Forgays, from Vermont's Mad River Valley, who was well-known in the Northeast ski community, and had a vast amount of experience skiing challenging terrain in the Greens, Whites, and Adirondacks. (Source: His friends' posts on the TGR Forum & Facebook.)

Last edited:
There have been a lot of posts about avalanche danger being very high in the region. The High Summits Forecast even led with an "avalanche warning" a day or two ago, which I took as an effort to reach a broader audience about the danger level and avoid incidents like this one. Been a lot of articles about unprepared hikers flocking to the bowls this season. I'm no expert either but the current types of conditions sound like classic high risk set ups. I haven't been up there in quite awhile but I know even in my yard shoveling yesterday the snow clumped and made natural blocks quite easily. If it's like that in the ravines I'd imagine it's nasty up there.

Yes, this is a sad event. Condolences to those connected with the victim.

Going alone into avy terrain is de facto being "unprepared." Yes, there are some new gizmos like floatation packs, etc., but the only real "preparation" for an avy incident is trained other members of your party to find you and dig you out, preferably really fast (like less than 30 minutes). If you are solo, the transceiver only supports body recovery.

There have been a lot of posts about avalanche danger being very high in the region. The High Summits Forecast even led with an "avalanche warning" a day or two ago, which I took as an effort to reach a broader audience about the danger level and avoid incidents like this one. Been a lot of articles about unprepared hikers flocking to the bowls this season. I'm no expert either but the current types of conditions sound like classic high risk set ups. I haven't been up there in quite awhile but I know even in my yard shoveling yesterday the snow clumped and made natural blocks quite easily. If it's like that in the ravines I'd imagine it's nasty up there.

If the UL story is accurate and the poor guy was 13 feet deep in debris that was a BIG avalanche. Bigger than most that run on the east side .

Going alone into avy terrain is de facto being "unprepared."

That is as subjective as saying that hiking alone is being unprepared, or bushwhacking, backcountry skiing, or backcountry skiing at night alone is being unprepared. Are the risks and consequences different? Absolutely. "De facto 'unprepared'"? Nonsense! While we don't know what mistakes Mr. Forgays made, I can assure you that he understood the risks and consequences of his actions, and the capabilities of his transceiver.

If the UL story is accurate and the poor guy was 13 feet deep in debris that was a BIG avalanche. Bigger than most that run on the east side .

While 13' is deep is deep, based on the geography of Ammonoosuc Ravine—while broad at the top, it funnels down to a narrow drainage—I'm not surprised. I could see the debris pile from a bigger avalanche in Tucks or Gos not being nearly as deep.

That is as subjective as saying that hiking alone is being unprepared, or bushwhacking, backcountry skiing, or backcountry skiing at night alone is being unprepared. Are the risks and consequences different? Absolutely. "De facto 'unprepared'"? Nonsense! While we don't know what mistakes Mr. Forgays made, I can assure you that he understood the risks and consequences of his actions, and the capabilities of his transceiver.

While 13' is deep is deep, based on the geography of Ammonoosuc Ravine—while broad at the top, it funnels down to a narrow drainage—I'm not surprised. I could see the debris pile from a bigger avalanche in Tucks or Gos not being nearly as deep.

The MWAV site called it a terrain trap where he was found. I believe it was the same scenario with the guy who died in Raymond Cataract too. Bad conditions + bad terrain = Bad outcome. I'm not a back country skiier but is that "normal" to ski in spots like that? I'd think it would be very evident what a bad idea that is but I've never done it before. I assume it's to save time walking out after the run so you chance getting an extra few hundred feet on skis?

Ammo is a classic terrain trap - modest slide = deep burial. This guy was clearly accomplished and appears to have practically invented drainage skiing, along with others on this coast. That guy knew what he was doing. I'm sorry it ended this way for him. Condolences to all. Must have been epic to ski with him in his element.

Best wishes for Ian's family.

Is skiing in Avy terrain unprepared? If I go, likely as I don't ski and my avy knowledge is all in writing only. As we seem to agree, is that often a mishap is a result of several factors that go wrong. Being accomplished like he was and local, the idea that comes up from time to time about only reports in Tucks and Huntington, isn't an issue, he knew. Back in the 90's two French-Canadians perished in the Gulf of Slides and it was brought up the signs had only been in English previously.

Do backcountry skiers did pits to check layers every time? I know that if I'm hiking in any CT Forest or Park, I'm often not carrying enough gear if I was to take a fall and if I landed on my phone. It feels like it's my extended backyard.

You would have to have details on the slide, where he was when it occurred, how far he fell, cause of death, etc. He may have died from trauma during the fall and having others there wouldn't have mattered. I know when you can see into the drainage from the hiking trail, you can see lots of large debris. It may not avalanche or slide due to rain often, but it does look like when it does, it's a large slide.

I know it's a pilgrimage and social event in Tucks, I also know that the guys skiing drainages have done almost everything on Washington that is not a technical climb. I remember at some point, here I think, someone asked about skiing down the Sphinx trail late in the ski season. My guess is that there are more skiers doing the real backcountry stuff than we know about here.

The MWAV site called it a terrain trap where he was found. I believe it was the same scenario with the guy who died in Raymond Cataract too. Bad conditions + bad terrain = Bad outcome. I'm not a back country skiier but is that "normal" to ski in spots like that? I'd think it would be very evident what a bad idea that is but I've never done it before. I assume it's to save time walking out after the run so you chance getting an extra few hundred feet on skis?

Backcountry skiers ski in dangerous terrain, it happens to also be good skiing terrain. Hence, knowledge of conditions and avalanche danger is paramount to safety. When I lived out west, you heard of human triggered avalanches all the time. Skiing is really a good way to trigger an avalanche when you think about it. The ravines on Mt. Washington are particularly dangerous because of the temperature cycles and the layers that form as a result. That's why most avoid climbing in Tucks during the winter, very unstable in general.

The avalanche forecast for Mount Washington was "Low" on all aspects on Monday, February 1, the day of the Mr. Forgay's fatal incident. It is important to note that Low does not equal none, nor does it mean that one can fail to make assessments, however, I would not classify it as "bad conditions."

Ammonoosuc Ravine is a 3,000'-3,400' descent. It may be the most sustained-pitch descent in the Northeast and is definitely one of the premier ski lines east of the Rockies. For those of use who ski throughout the Presidentials, Ammo Ravine is considered a classic line.

Last edited: