WMNF Closure!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
now i can finally sleep in my car at trailheads without worrying whether i'll be hassled! i'm going to spend 30 minutes asleep at each one, starting at pinkham! woohoo.

Last edited:
The Lincoln Woods bathroom will be out of toilet paper. :(

In all seriousness, is there a legal basis that gives the Forest Circus authority to do this, or is it the bureaucratic power grab that it looks like?

Just because it's legal doesn't mean that it's right:mad:
I'm so thankful that the federal government is here to save me from myself:confused: Thanks sir I'd love some Kool Aid!
Flame Away, I couldn't care less.
Bob

Campin'

We camped at Hancock on the Kanc for 56 hours in the rain during Floyd 10 years ago. No biggie. There was little wind, lotsa rain. Pemi was raging. Would have been tough out on the trails with stream crossings. Don't remember much in the way of blowdowns. Hopefully there'll be nothing more this time... space station images are a little scary, though. Irene is one big girl! Maybe there IS something to all the hype?!

http://www.theatlantic.com/video/ar...s-terrifying-scale-as-seen-from-space/244158/

KDT

Last edited:
I stayed at Imp Shelter once with a caretaker who claimed to have sat out "Bob" or "Floyd" or some such in the shelter there. He said it was quite a wild ride, but that the (two-tier, Guyot-type) shelter was perfect for the conditions.

I also camped at Wild River during a good November blow that included trees across the road and a fast-rising river. I wouldn't voluntarily put myself on the wrong side of those tracks again; better to ride it out at home!

...as was noted in the other thread with this notice if you choose to go and have a problem don't expect a rescue. No need for SAR to take a risk because somoeone chooses to go out in what are advertised as adverse conditions. Makes sense to me.

So...if the forest is closed when it is unsafe, does that mean it is safe when it is open?

Apparently the closure included the entire AT in NH, even outside the WMNF. They coordinate management of the AT in NH for the NPS. Shelters from Hanover to the ME are closed. There is a group of folks putting up hikers in their homes, as well as at the community center in Hanover (the Black center). Whether this is necessary or not, time will tell. But I know the thru-hikers are happy about staying in town instead of in shelters tonight and tomorrow night!

I think that they are just overreacting to all of the media hype. I don't remember them closing it during the ice storm of 98 and that was a much more serious situation...

I wonder if the recent lawsuits against the USFS and NPS over bear and mountain goat attacks played into this at all. Protecting themselves from lawsuits.

Proactive

Cooperhill,
I have no doubt you are right as to the motivation of these closures (WMNF & AMC). Granted it does make sense to close the Forest for the short time a hurricane passes through for safety reasons, and granted that few if any have successfully sued either for injuries that result from Acts of God, they'd still have the expense of defending against those suits (my suit will call on your suit:rolleyes:). What I hope is that this one closure does not become such a habit that they do as many school principals do these days and call off school for a few inches of snowfall. Otherwise why do we have all these assumed risk laws, and duty of care laws, and liability limited laws, not to mention the cautions on signs at Pinkham and in guidebooks and websites and courses taught etc.? Life is risk, and we won't escape it alive anyway. Risk management should remain a personal choice as much as possible. To be free is to be fully alive.
Creag nan drochaid

Cooperhill,
I have no doubt you are right as to the motivation of these closures (WMNF & AMC). Granted it does make sense to close the Forest for the short time a hurricane passes through for safety reasons, and granted that few if any have successfully sued either for injuries that result from Acts of God, they'd still have the expense of defending against those suits (my suit will call on your suit:rolleyes:). What I hope is that this one closure does not become such a habit that they do as many school principals do these days and call off school for a few inches of snowfall. Otherwise why do we have all these assumed risk laws, and duty of care laws, and liability limited laws, not to mention the cautions on signs at Pinkham and in guidebooks and websites and courses taught etc.? Life is risk, and we won't escape it alive anyway. Risk management should remain a personal choice as much as possible. To be free is to be fully alive.
Creag nan drochaid

I agree!!!! It also seems a little dangerous to keep the forests open in winter when the temps are below freezing due to increased risks - where do they draw the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.