Interesting Sun Angle today

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I had to make a run to North Conway today via Pinkham Notch. It was cold blue sky day with few if any clouds. When driving south past the new Glen House I was concentrating on the intense shadows in the ravines but did notice that Jefferson Madison and Adams was in the shadow. I did not pay a lot of attention and headed south. When I was heading north around 10:30 AM, I went by the scenic vista and Mt Washington and the surrounding mountains were in full winter prime viewing (despite it being a couple of weeks to the solstice). The odd part was Madison was not sunlit. As I headed up the notch I slowed down and noticed again that Washington was in full sun but all the mountains on the rim of the Great Gulf were not lit up. It was quite the contrast. I took me a bit but I finally figured out that even though it was around 11 AM the sun angle was so low that the northern peaks are in the shadow of Mt Washington. I dont remember ever noticing this in past years.

Was an awesome day up there today. Pictures on Facebook and elsewhere were spectacular pretty much everywhere.

Anyone ever experience a "Brocken Spectre" here in the Whites? I remember seeing a few during my several summers, hiking in Scotland. Happens when hiking in what Scots call hill fog on a mostly sunny day.

Anyone ever experience a "Brocken Spectre" here in the Whites? I remember seeing a few during my several summers, hiking in Scotland. Happens when hiking in what Scots call hill fog on a mostly sunny day.

I haven't personally, but I do remember a picture from someone in the Adams area, IIRC. Probably Joe. :D

I haven't personally, but I do remember a picture from someone in the Adams area, IIRC. Probably Joe. :D

These 2 are from Wright in the ADKs.

Glory.jpg

Glory2.jpg