REI North Conway Grand Opening coming Soon!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Statistics don't lie. Market is growing. Number of 4K list finishers has doubled over what it was 10 years ago from average of 300/year to over 600/year. In 2017 there were 739 list finishers. Other indicators are number of post holes gets worse and worse every year. Hopefully some of these knuckleheads will buy some snowshoes. Parking at major trail heads is further indicator.

Last edited:
Hopefully along with their positive attitude, knowledge base and training REI will help improve folks trail etiquette among other outdoor skill sets. The last three decades or so the Mount Washington Valley has seen and supported multiple outdoor retailers successfully. Even with the event of online shopping. Personally I enjoy having multiple options and choices when it comes to gear. I look forward to REI enhancing that mix. Personally I am going to give them a chance to do just that rather than use it as an opportunity to be negative. Looking forward to the Grand Opening happening this coming weekend.:D

Some of us have been living with REI for 30 years. So we know their gig. As noted, it's to make money selling high margin gear. Nothing wrong with that model of course, but as noted, I'll stick to the local shops or online if the local shops do not have/stock what I need.

Some of us have been living with REI for 30 years. So we know their gig. As noted, it's to make money selling high margin gear. Nothing wrong with that model of course, but as noted, I'll stick to the local shops or online if the local shops do not have/stock what I need.

I'm with you and I have a ton of gear then some bought over the years. Just a couple of things from REI. Their return policy online is not good and orgainized well so I don't buy anything from them online. What ticked me off is their ban of Camelbak. Those workers etc are innocent and shouldn't be punished. Although it's hurting REI more then Camelbak probably. Other chains have picked up the slack on a great product.

Last edited:
I...What ticked me off is their ban of Camelbak. Those workers etc are innocent and shouldn't be punished. Although it's hurting REI more then Camelbak probably. Other chains have picked up the slack on a great product.

Humm, didn't know they stopped selling Camelback. Why?

I stopped using Camelback and went to a Platypus 3L sack cause I got tied of the plastic taste of Camelback products.

Last edited:
Really Expensive Inventory ;)

Tim

Ha ha. True. They also made it a PITA to redeem your dividend for cash because they want you to spend it in the store or otherwise hold your cash as long as possible in order to keep the interest on it.

Checked the Grand Opening yesterday. Very positive atmosphere all around. Great customer service. REI should prove to be an integral player for the MWV outdoor retail market going forward.

Ha ha. True. They also made it a PITA to redeem your dividend for cash because they want you to spend it in the store or otherwise hold your cash as long as possible in order to keep the interest on it.

True. Like I said one of a few important issues with buying and returning they have unlike many other places. To me they're like Cumberland Farms etc. Last resort while on the road for a quick fix. Now they're political as well. Not surprised now seeing the news from Oregon

REI North Conway is making all the right moves to be a good corporate citizen of the MWV. Nice to see.

[/URL]
I was also impressed to see the amount of clothing products they are selling that are made from recycled material.

REI opened in Paramus, NJ. EMS closed shortly there after. Next Campmor and Ramsey Outdoor cut their inventory way back. REI has a huge footprint, but there are never any people in the store. What gives with the business model? Never saw many people in EMS either. Crowds were at Campmor.

REI opened in Paramus, NJ. EMS closed shortly there after. Next Campmor and Ramsey Outdoor cut their inventory way back. REI has a huge footprint, but there are never any people in the store. What gives with the business model? Never saw many people in EMS either. Crowds were at Campmor.

The REI's in my area are usually packed with people (Cranston, Hartford) pretty much every time I go. I go less often to the one in Natick but that one is usually insane. Surprised to hear the one in NJ is quiet. The EMS locations in my area definitely have light crowds.