How Do I Sharpen my Microspikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine Chris

Reaction score
My microspikes are getting kind of dull and I would like to sharpen them up. I may get a new pair, but I want to save this pair (in proper useful conditon) to lend out to anyone I may take hiking with me that might not have any microspikes yet. They may also get used around the property this winter (driveway etc). Any help would be useful. Thanks

Just use an ordinary file (not too coarse) on them and lots of patience.

Chris, how worn are they and how long have you had them? One of the original testers wore them for 600 miles on snowy roads one winter.
Rather than taking the time to hold and sharpen each point, a phone call to Kahtoola might find you with a warranty replacement.
If you decide to sharpen, be sure you don't nick the rubber rand. A small slice or divot might cause a failure when stretched over your boots.

Yep, always a potential failure point. Sharp stick, sharp rock can do it. Always good to carry one extra if possible, and IMO a good idea to get a size small enough that it doesn't fall off, but large enough that the rand isn't stretched too tight. Doesn't always work that way if you have big boots( like those 13s, eh Tim).

I did it once with a bastard file, it took forever. My suggestion, retire them and buy a new pair, which is what I eventually did. I now use the old ones when I snowblow the driveway.

If you could hold the spike in position with a locking vice grip pliers you could us an electric grinder to speed things up, it's tough metal or take Mad's advice.

A grinder may heat up the metal and cause it to weaken--The recommendation is to put them on your boot, with a sheet of plastic wrap between the boot and the spikes, and then sharpen them with a file - the plastic wrap will keep the metal shavings from sticking to your boot, and might even hold the shavings via static electricity.

Tim

Yes, heat from grinding wheel would likely cause the metal to lose its temper and weaken. Good suggestion to mount them on your boots. Might still be good to see if they'll send a new pair.
If you buy a second set, keep one of the old ones in your pack as a backup. Not bad insurance in case of primary failure.

A general comment I have made before on microspikes is that they appear to get damaged more quickly when they are hanging loose on the boot. I find the Hillsound velcro strap up over the top of the boot to keep the spikes snug make a big difference plus its very difficult to get caught on something and fall off as Kahtoolas do on occasion. I retrofitted my spare Kahtoolas with the strap from my damaged Hillsounds (replaced on warrantee) and its a nice easy add on.

If you do decide to get another pair, keep the old ones for between season use when you definitely need something for ice but will be walking on a lot of rock also. That way you can prolong the useful life of the new ones.

FYI: If you want to replace them, Microspikes are on sale at EMS for $48 from 10/2-10/4. The various Hillsound models are also 20% off.

EMS Sale

I have no connection with EMS, just passing on information.

I was sharpening my spikes tonight. After getting frustrated with trying to hold the spikes, or putting each spike in my vice, I came up with this solution: Put a vice-grip into my bench vice, use the vice-grip on the individual spikes. It enabled me to make quick work of 2 sets of spikes. I too used a file (obviously don't use a dremel or a bench grinder as it may ruin the temper).

2012-12-12_19-45-49_550.jpg

2012-12-12_19-45-57_312.jpg

2012-12-12_19-46-05_231.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for all your great advice folks. I did buy a new pair and will try the vice grips in the vice method to try and tune up the old pair of micro-spikes a little bit and use them on trails with some exposed rock and dirt. If I carry both sets for a few weeks at the beginning and end of winter I think I can live with it and I will have a pair appropriate for both nice snow and ice conditions and rock and dirt mixed with ice. I will also have a spare if one breaks. I have small bits of wire I keep in my pack to repair them if something happens and a leatherman tool for closing any eyes that open up. The wire and the leatherman will be handy for repairing snowshoe issues too (I think). Thanks all. It took me awhile to realize folks were responding to this thread. I appreciate it and pics are great as I am a visual learner. My spikes are more worn than the ones in the pictures (glad I bought a new pair).

My Microspikes are wicked dull after about 30 peaks of use so I just ordered some Hillsound Trail Crampons -- they look a bit more aggressive and have more teeth. They had to be ordered, however, so I decided to take a file to my old 'spikes in the meantime. Using a bench vice I was able to put a mean edge on all of them, securing two teeth at a time. The entire process took about 15 minutes and was surprisingly easy (soft steel). Now after doing this myself, I'd say it'd be nearly impossible to accidentally nick the rubber in the process because of the chain segments. I'm curious about the lifespan of the sharpening job, but even if I get just a small handful of hikes out of them, it was 15 minutes' work so totally worth the trouble.

I've been meaning to sharpen my 'spikes since the end of last winter. Finally got to it today. I took a slightly different approach from the ones mentioned here. I grabbed each spike with vicegrips, held the spike against the bench and used a file on it. Worked well and it only took about 20 minutes to do them all. The vise and visegrips method would probably have been easier, but I haven't got a bench vise at the moment. Heading to Stratton for 5 days after Christmas so should have a good chance to give them a workout.